IGNORED

The Tiger Woods Retirement Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3279 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Chuckle!

If you get a chance to look at the internet look at Woods' photos in 2000 when he was still pretty skinny.

Then go forward to 2014 when Woods looked like he had gained tons of weight, especially around the neck, shoulders, and chest and a loss of hair.

So it was not like some high school kid suddenly gaining weight after he graduated.

Of course there is no way of actually knowing Woods' weight at any age as the PGA Tour only goes by what the players tell them.

Er....chuckle.... Maybe it has a lot more to do the genetics than anything else, vague guesses at steroid usage included.

Look at the photograph of Earl Woods in his army officer's uniform: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Woods

How old is he in that photograph? Late 30s? Maybe 40? A big, powerfully built man, with a receding hairline.

Back to the topic of Tiger's possible retirement, an interesting piece in today's Guardian, "Tiger Woods is the embodiment of a spent force sportsman" - http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/feb/12/tiger-woods-golf-break-not-retirement

I was going to respond to the comments about Tiger/weight gain/steroids but it's off topic for the thread and others have already made pretty good posts.

Instead I'll share this.

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2015/2/12/steiny-tiger-wants-to-play-right-now-chomping-at-the-bit.html

Talking to GolfChannel.com's Rex Hoggard, see if you can read this part without at letting out a chuckle.

As to when Woods, who has played just nine events in the last year and a half, may return, Steinberg wouldn’t speculate, saying only that Woods plans to start working on his game on Monday in south Florida.

“He wants to play right now, to be honest with you,” Steinberg said. “He’s chomping at the bit. Honestly, he competes to compete at the absolute highest level. Clearly these last two events weren’t up to that. When that swing gets grooved he’ll be ready to go.”

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Woods' association with a tainted trainer just added fuel to the fire that he was using PED's.

Of course only Tiger and his trainer know for sure.

I really could not care as I think all athletes should use any drugs or PED's they can find.

My only thought about "steroids" was that he had bulked up so much that he had damaged his spine in trying to rotate.

So chill out as I could care less what Tiger did to get larger.

When I'm around my buddies having a beer and the topic comes up, I'll say "I think he took them" but I don't know for a fact. I don't think he took steroids when he was younger. I do think he did something in 2008 to recover from his knee surgery. And I think a lot of these injuries are a result of that. And a lot of people say "Well a lot of golfers deal with a lot of injuries." However, not a lot of golfers have so many different parts of the body getting hurt. It's usually one or two areas that keep getting hurt. Tiger's whole body has been banged up the last few years, from neck issues to wrist issues to the back to the knee to the achilles heel. You can play the game "Operation" with Tiger Woods as the patient.

Like I said, it's just my opinion. I don't know any more facts than what's out there, but everyone has their own thoughts about "what they think happened" and that's just mine. For the sake of the game, this is one of those things where I hope my opinion is dead wrong.

Nice post!

Certainly nobody here knows for sure.

And your theory that he may have started using them to help "heal" some of his injured body parts seems very logical.

But it now seems that all of the personal issues he has had for the last decade may have even impaired his ability to concentrate.

Certainly he has a long way to go to get his golf game back.

Nice post!

Certainly nobody here knows for sure.

And your theory that he may have started using them to help "heal" some of his injured body parts seems very logical.

But it now seems that all of the personal issues he has had for the last decade may have even impaired his ability to concentrate.

Certainly he has a long way to go to get his golf game back.

I just think the only way he's going to get back is to play 36 to 54 holes of golf a day like he used to back at Isleworth and work his tail off. And I don't think he did that at all during his rehab time. All I heard is he practiced a lot hitting balls and chipping outside his house. That's a lot different than going out and playing practice rounds of golf day after day after day like he used when he was at the top of his game. And I think the more he plays, it will help his back. He needs that exercise in his private time. He just needs to get back in the rhythm of things.

I just think the only way he's going to get back is to play 36 to 54 holes of golf a day like he used to back at Isleworth and work his tail off. And I don't think he did that at all during his rehab time. All I heard is he practiced a lot hitting balls and chipping outside his house. That's a lot different than going out and playing practice rounds of golf day after day after day like he used when he was at the top of his game. And I think the more he plays, it will help his back. He needs that exercise in his private time. He just needs to get back in the rhythm of things.

54 holes of golf a day is definitely not good for your back... Especially the way he swings the club.

54 holes of golf a day is definitely not good for your back... Especially the way he swings the club.

I would argue that, once Tiger is fully recovered from whatever injury is currently plaguing him, it would actually be beneficial for him to do so. Think about it for a second:

- He doesn't have to carry his own clubs (he doesn't even have to walk if he doesn't want to), so that back stress is a non-issue

- Playing golf directly strengthens the muscles used in the golf swing, including the stabilizing muscles that hold everything where it should be in your back and elsewhere

- Playing golf also is the best way to practice!

While swinging a golf club isn't a "natural" motion, it shouldn't be a harmful one to a healthy body. Provided that Tiger isn't swinging out of his shoes on every shot in practice he would be fine, once his current injury is completely healed, to play as many holes of golf in a day as he would like to before he gets tired.

Agree with the way he swings the club. He's got to find a way to take pressure of it, and then play a lot. I remember Retief Goosen saying last month that after his back surgery, he took a lot of time off and that once he got back, he wanted to play a lot because he wanted to exercise it and get it loose. He said he had some spasms and setbacks early on, but after awhile, it got better. However, Goose has never made it back to the top-5 golfer he once was since his back problems and then back surgery.

I would argue that, once Tiger is fully recovered from whatever injury is currently plaguing him, it would actually be beneficial for him to do so. Think about it for a second: - He doesn't have to carry his own clubs (he doesn't even have to walk if he doesn't want to), so that back stress is a non-issue - Playing golf directly strengthens the muscles used in the golf swing, including the stabilizing muscles that hold everything where it should be in your back and elsewhere - Playing golf also is the best way to practice! While swinging a golf club isn't a "natural" motion, it shouldn't be a harmful one to a healthy body. Provided that Tiger isn't swinging out of his shoes on every shot in practice he would be fine, once his current injury is completely healed, to play as many holes of golf in a day as he would like to before he gets tired.

Nah. He couldn't take the wear and tear. If not his back, something else would give out on him. He's 39 in a 49 yr old body. Max reps is not the way to go. Maybe take a trip to see Freddy and ask for some pointers on getting prepared week to week. He'll never be a dominant force again but he could still be better than your average tour pro.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Let him go, folks.   He has done a lot for golf already and has nothing more to prove.   Even his 14 total major wins is more impressive (in my book) than Jack's record of 18 when professional golf was played by far less number of players.   It's time to find your new Tiger whoever may that be (Rory?).   This obsession with Tiger is not healthy ... :-P .

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I think tigers body is just worn out through too many swing changes.  I mean look at John Daly, who shot 7 under today.  Spent a lot of his career burning candles at both ends, alcoholic, still averages 323 off the tee and no apparent back problems.  Maybe tigers talent was not his body, but just how he worked his a$$ off.

Nah. He couldn't take the wear and tear. If not his back, something else would give out on him. He's 39 in a 49 yr old body.

Probably very true.   This is a reason why I think he can't win another major.   The other reason is competition.    It has gotten better over the years.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Years ago Pedro Martinez was the best pitcher in baseball, when he thru the ball you could hear a distinct difference when hit the catcher mitt. He struck out the best at key times, he was durable too. He was not a big man, but he was a freak the way he could deliver a fast ball time and time again. He had a little edge to him as well, against certain players, probably in grained in his heritage as a Dominican As time and age wore on, Pedro lost that zip, that fire, his fast ball barely made 92 MPH, considered to be average in MLB for a fast ball pitcher. Yet despite his slow fast ball, he still performed on top of his game. he was asked about this and I am paraphrasing Pedro, but he basically said, he realized he was slowing down and decided to concentrate on a slow pitch, but a far more accurate one as far as placement in the strike zone. I think Tiger should heed the same advice, hit 8 irons rather than a full blasting PW, while he it at it get comfortable with accurate 280 yard drives than a wild 295-305 drive.

• Upvote 1

I honestly, think it depends on Tiger, maybe he retires, if somehow he can get competitive again... I don't think he will, if he doesn't stand a chance in hell he's done... if he can "fix" this issue with his short game and wildness off the tee, maybe he wins another major... I think if he doesn't make the Olympic team next year, he retires simple as that...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Years ago Pedro Martinez was the best pitcher in baseball, when he thru the ball you could hear a distinct difference when hit the catcher mitt. He struck out the best at key times, he was durable too. He was not a big man, but he was a freak the way he could deliver a fast ball time and time again. He had a little edge to him as well, against certain players, probably in grained in his heritage as a Dominican

As time and age wore on, Pedro lost that zip, that fire, his fast ball barely made 92 MPH, considered to be average in MLB for a fast ball pitcher. Yet despite his slow fast ball, he still performed on top of his game. he was asked about this and I am paraphrasing Pedro, but he basically said, he realized he was slowing down and decided to concentrate on a slow pitch, but a far more accurate one as far as placement in the strike zone.

I think Tiger should heed the same advice, hit 8 irons rather than a full blasting PW, while he it at it get comfortable with accurate 280 yard drives than a wild 295-305 drive.

Agreed.  If he could accept that style of playing, he could win a ton out there.  He could still potentially break Jack's record.  He might not be able to take down somebody like Rory when he's super hot . .but he would take them down more often than not.  I hope Tiger takes your advice.

As luck would have it, I turned on TGC when I got in bed last night and I was fortunate enough to see a live phone interview with Notah on whatever news show they had on. I almost urinated on myself with excitement!

I learned that Notah has spent time with Tiger this week, and that he thinks that Tiger seeing him was good for him. He said they played golf and went to the gym! He said Tiger was going to go watch Lindsey ski this weekend. He said Tiger was good mentally. The plethora of information coming from our embedded correspondant was a gold mine!

It got dicey for embedded correspondent Notah when the host asked him whyTiger had to make a public announcement about this, since he still my play Honda which was his schedule anyway. This is what the haters were thinking as well. What a cheap shot, and it made our fearless reporter stutter while he tried to answer. I am still unable to piece together what his answer was, it seemed like mostly gibberish.

The haters may think that TW just likes being a drama queen and in the spotlight. The haters may also think it is BS that an obvious conflict of interest is disguised as a TGC analyst. The haters may start calling Notah Baghdad Bob, or Judith Miller.

I thought about the public announcement and mention of specific tournaments too.

It is a real possibility that the event organizers or tour managers are pleading behind the scenes with Tiger to remain publicly non-committal about their tournaments in order not to affect ticket sales and TV ratings. Did you read what Horschel said about the gallery nearly disappearing after Tiger withdrew?

He could just be doing those events a solid.

Kevin

Note: This thread is 3279 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!