IGNORED

The Tiger Woods Retirement Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3296 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

No doubt in my mind that Woods went from being a lanky young golfer to later a steroided-up Barry Bonds lookalike.

And the PGA Tour officials apparently just turned their heads to what was happening with their "cash cow".

But here in the end this bulked-up look hurt Woods as this bulky frame was more difficult to rotate the older Woods got.

And now his spine has been twisted so much that it can no longer take this rotation.

Will Woods lose 30-35 pounds to become slimmer?

Might not matter much as the damage has already been done.

And yet, here I was this morning driving to see a customer of mine and listening to a nationally syndicated sports talk radio show with Tiki Barber and Kennedy and they bring up Tiger as the athlete with the greatest collapse from greatness in the history of sports. Wanna know how long it to them to bring up Dr. Galea in relationship to Tiger Woods? About 30 seconds. This is today.

In the United States, Galea was charged with drug smuggling, conspiring to lie to federal agents, unlawful possession with intent to distribute and practising medicine without a licence. On July 6, 2011, Galea pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of bringing mislabelled drugs into the United States for the purpose of treating professional athletes.As part of the plea agreement, he is required to cooperate with investigators and disclose the identities of his clients and their treatments

Galea has treated Olympic athletes, baseball players, and football players. At least two of those athletes, sprinter Mark McKoy and baseball player Alex Rodriguez, known personal friend of Tiger Woods, have either admiitted to or are known PED abusers.

Pretty easy to see why Tiki Barber mentioned Dr. Galea about 30 seconds after talking about Tiger Woods.

Unless this Kennedy is Justice Anthony Kennedy slumming it on sports radio, nothing that comes out of sports radio carries any weight of authority with me or, really, with pretty much anyone. You claim the fact that a sports radio show immediately cited scandalous innuendo as if that in any way illuminates reality. I would offer that if you turn on Art Bell and bring up President John F. Kennedy, within about 30 seconds whoever you're talking to will bring up a convoluted Illuminati conspiracy to assassinate the President. Neither that nor the musings of Tiki and the gang should influence your own perceptions of reality.

You state that Mr. Galea has been cooperating with federal investigators. OK. I haven't followed the case recently. Has his cooperation yielded any direct implications of Tiger Woods in performance-enhancing drug use? I would assume he'd be forthcoming if he had that kind of information, as it's in his best interests to share it, as you mention. I'm unaware of any actions taken against Tiger Woods in response. Have they? I figure we'd have heard about it if they had, similar to Phil Mickelson's questioning by the SEC over insider trading. What has actually come of this link you claim between Tiger and Mr. Galea? Other than the irresponsible innuendos of sports radio hosts?

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No doubt in my mind that Woods went from being a lanky young golfer to later a steroided-up Barry Bonds lookalike.

And the PGA Tour officials apparently just turned their heads to what was happening with their "cash cow".

But here in the end this bulked-up look hurt Woods as this bulky frame was more difficult to rotate the older Woods got.

And now his spine has been twisted so much that it can no longer take this rotation.

Will Woods lose 30-35 pounds to become slimmer?

Might not matter much as the damage has already been done.

I like your style, Saints, you're about to make as many friends as I have on here. Unfortunately most peope have their head buried too far up...uhhh the sand...to face reality here and would rather believe their boy Eldrick is as pure as the driven snow. Is Tiger the GOAT? Heck no, because of this sad reality that's becoming more apparent by the day to anyone who has their eyes open.

And yet, here I was this morning driving to see a customer of mine and listening to a nationally syndicated sports talk radio show with Tiki Barber and Kennedy and they bring up Tiger as the athlete with the greatest collapse from greatness in the history of sports. Wanna know how long it to them to bring up Dr. Galea in relationship to Tiger Woods? About 30 seconds. This is today.

Irresponsible of Tiki and Lincoln to couch Tiger's issues in the context of a "collapse"......wonder who else is on their list?  J.R. Richard....Thurmon Munson....maybe Roberto Clemente

Totally classless imo.........

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

This is one of those thoughts that go through you mind, but you really don't want to say out loud. First, because there has not been any proof, and second, there are tons of Tiger Lovers who would say a lot of un-nice things about you and your family.

Personally, I have considered steroids as a possible cause for some of Tiger's physical breakdowns in recent years. Injuries and joint damage in later life of athletes has, in part, been attributed to some extent to steroids.  Barry Bond's physical ailments in his latter years are well documented.

“Our findings speak to the compounded medical problems that appear with steroid use, with negative effects on joint health starting a ‘snowball effect’ that can lead to other chronic diseases later in life,” says senior author Kevin Guskiewicz, Ph.D, A.T.C.   http://psychcentral.com/news/2009/02/23/steroid-use-damages-health-later-in-life/4273.html

However, I still reject the notion that Tiger used steroids. And, I think that he will climb the mountain again, if only to show the doubters how good he really is.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Well, call it performance enhancing drugs or steroids as the result is the same.

Body builders use steroids to muscle up and add weight.

That is what happened to Woods.

My only beef ever with Woods was him throwing clubs and using vulgar language like a spoiled child.

His marital problems and personal life did not matter to me.

No doubt he was the best golfer of my generation but any objective observer would look at Tiger's performance over the last year or so and see that he is finished.

I was watching Golf Channel this morning and they had a chart  showing that in his last 9 starts he made the cut only one time and finished in 69Th  place (British Open).

The other times he either missed the cut or withdrew.

So what could possibly give you hope that Woods can return to form?

His back is so bad that he now uses language like "could not activate my glutes".

Has he never heard about a sore or tight lower back muscles?

So what makes his back sore?

Older age with a weak lower back and still trying to swing as hard as he did when he was 23 because he needs the driving distance to keep up with the flat bellies.

He just can no longer do that and stay healthy enough to even play, let alone compete.

But it does not hurt for him to try, except possibly making his weakened back even worse.

This is one of those thoughts that go through you mind, but you really don't want to say out loud. First, because there has not been any proof, and second, there are tons of Tiger Lovers who would say a lot of un-nice things about you and your family.

Personally, I have considered steroids as a possible cause for some of Tiger's physical breakdowns in recent years. Injuries and joint damage in later life of athletes has, in part, been attributed to some extent to steroids.  Barry Bond's physical ailments in his latter years are well documented.

“Our findings speak to the compounded medical problems that appear with steroid use, with negative effects on joint health starting a ‘snowball effect’ that can lead to other chronic diseases later in life,” says senior author Kevin Guskiewicz, Ph.D, A.T.C.   http://psychcentral.com/news/2009/02/23/steroid-use-damages-health-later-in-life/4273.html

However, I still reject the notion that Tiger used steroids. And, I think that he will climb the mountain again, if only to show the doubters how good he really is.

My days of defending athletes suspected / accused of PEDs use ended with Lance Armstrong.  Armstrong vehemently denied and defended himself against those that accused him of using PED's.  He did personal and financial damage to friends and teammates to protect his lie which makes him pure scum in my book.  Armstrong wrongly believed that he was too big to get caught and if there's anyone in the golf world that would share that same arrogance, it's Tiger.

I will say that our justice system assumes innocence until proven guilty, association with Galea isn't proof of guilt.  Tiger also didn't look anything like Bonds, if Tiger did use PED's it was likely to assist in recovery for his intense fitness and practice regimen, not to add muscle.

Joe Paradiso

I don't see definitive physical evidence that Tiger used PED or steroids. As bulky as the guy is, a superior athlete who hits the weights as hard as he supposedly did would look pretty much like Tiger does. I think his body may have broken down simply because he's been swinging a golf club with a somewhat violent swing for hours a day since he was 3 years old. There's the whole thing in the Hank Haney book about him ruining his leg in 2007 while considering a run at the Navy SEALS, and the countless injuries...

I think retirement is pretty likely, honestly. The guy never treated golf like a leisurely activity - he went at it like a world-class athlete, with superior nutrition, weight training, cardio, and more practice than most men ever. Too bad if he goes out like this. Love him or hate him, you hate to see a sour ending.

ESPN is reporting an "indefinite leave" from golf for Tiger. [URL]http://m.espn.go.com/golf/story?storyId=12311725[/URL]

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper View Post

ESPN is reporting an "indefinite leave" from golf for Tiger.

http://m.espn.go.com/golf/story?storyId=12311725

I was just about to post this.

Quote:
"Right now, I need a lot of work on my game, and to still spend time with the people that are important to me," he said.

Tiger has been at most of Vonn's events so its had to take its toll on his practice time.  If he's going to regain his #1 status and beat Jack's records he may have to take an indefinite leave from Vonn.

Joe Paradiso

He says on his website that he'll be playing again "very soon".

http://www.tigerwoods.com/news/2015/02/11/108976880/his-back-feeling-better-tiger-plans-to-work-on-his-game-and-play-again-soon/

Good call by Tiger as at least he now sees what others see---- he is now a 7 to 10 handicap golfer.

Doubtful that he will play in the Masters or perhaps any other tournaments for the rest of the year.

But at least "doubt" instead of "retirement" keeps his name in the news for a possible return at some point.

And it must literally scare him to death that when he returns he may play even worse than he plays now.

So tv tournaments will now be relegated to showing past Tiger highlights back in the "good old days" when he was the best in the world.

And when there are tournament rain delays perhaps old video of Tiger winning those tournaments in the past will be replayed.

And we will be reminded of the player that he once was.

He needs to do what Rory did last year. Drop Lindsey and concentrate on golf. He's jet setting all over the place, a la Rory, and not concentrating enough on his golf game. Just my 2 cents.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Tiger has been at most of Vonn's events so its had to take its toll on his practice time.  If he's going to regain his #1 status and beat Jack's records he may have to take an indefinite leave from Vonn.

[quote name="Yukari" url="/t/79927/the-tiger-woods-retirement-thread/120#post_1104564"]He needs to do what Rory did last year. Drop Lindsey and concentrate on golf. He's jet setting all over the place, a la Rory, and not concentrating enough on his golf game. Just my 2 cents.[/quote]Well that's the thing, right? When does he get to kick back and really enjoy what he earned? How many years does he have to continue grinding on the tour for people to be ok with him changing his priorities? He says he wants to get back and his goal is still Jack's record, but what else is he supposed to say? "Hey guys, it's been great, but since I don't have a realistic shot at it anymore, I'm gonna forego my golf and hang out with Lindsey, hope you don't mind?" I'm obviously speculating, but maybe Lindsey "The One" and makes him truly happy. It's kind of selfish for us to say he should dump her and focus on golf again. If he wants to put golf aside, I think he's earned that right. As a fan, it would be a little sad to watch him go, but as a person, I'd be totally cool with it.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Well that's the thing, right? When does he get to kick back and really enjoy what he earned? How many years does he have to continue grinding on the tour for people to be ok with him changing his priorities?

He says he wants to get back and his goal is still Jack's record, but what else is he supposed to say? "Hey guys, it's been great, but since I don't have a realistic shot at it anymore, I'm gonna forego my golf and hang out with Lindsey, hope you don't mind?"

I'm obviously speculating, but maybe Lindsey "The One" and makes him truly happy. It's kind of selfish for us to say he should dump her and focus on golf again. If he wants to put golf aside, I think he's earned that right.

As a fan, it would be a little sad to watch him go, but as a person, I'd be totally cool with it.

I think you are making inferences where there are none.

All I am saying is if he wants to compete at the highest level, as he claims to be wanting to do, then it is my opinion that he needs to concentrate more on his golf game.  Nothing more.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I think you are making inferences where there are none. All I am saying is if he wants to compete at the highest level, as he claims to be wanting to do, then it is my opinion that he needs to concentrate more on his golf game.  Nothing more.

To be fair, your post didn't suggest alternatives, but I wasn't trying to imply anything. We're fans and we know him as an athlete, not personally. If he takes a step away from golf, whatever he gains on a personal level comes at the expense of our "relationship" with him. Like I said, I'm ok with that on a personal level, because I understand. That's all I meant.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Indefinite leave, but may return Feb 26 lol.

He will return when he is playing well enough to be competitive. Whatever..

The problem with that is the reason he is not competitive is between his ears, and he won't know that until he is in a tournament. We have heard all the stories about how he has been striping it in practice.

Oh well, if he gets through a few holes and sux, as I suspect he will, then his glutes can just deactivate and the fanboys will report for duty lol.

He says on his website that he'll be playing again "very soon".  [URL=http://www.tigerwoods.com/news/2015/02/11/108976880/his-back-feeling-better-tiger-plans-to-work-on-his-game-and-play-again-soon/]http://www.tigerwoods.com/news/2015/02/11/108976880/his-back-feeling-better-tiger-plans-to-work-on-his-game-and-play-again-soon/[/URL]

He should've been working on his game the last 8 months.... ....oh wait, he was. :-\

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3296 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!