IGNORED

2015 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's a change, but he's someone I'd rather not see as part of it. His shtick is tired, he's a blowhard, egomaniac, self-aggrandizing tool.

What does he "claim" as his handicap? That swing doesn't look like it could break 110.

Whatever it is, it's working so far because he was tied for the lead yesterday - if something doesn't change quickly we may have to suffer through seeing him on Sunday. :bugout: I'm with you, @colin007 , I've tired of Berman a long time ago, but at least we don't have to listen to his shtick (those GD nicknames - e-flipping-nuf already!!!  We get it, you're from the 60's/70's and think you're clever!!  Pssst, you're not.)  while he's golfing. :-P Of course, his golfing shtick (hawaiian shirts, the stupid hat, unwarranted anger on occasion) is tiresome as well.

TBH, I'm quite over EVERYTHING about the Pro-Am part of this tournament.  I get no joy from watching Berman be fat, or Bill Murray mosey, or any of the stupid rich guys with the "4 handicaps" (and the 18 handicap swings) that aren't even famous.

Just show me the pros and the courses and I'm happy.  (Wow, did not realize that I was in the mood to rant this morning) ;)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not sure if anyone else heard this little snippet from the Golf Channel/NBC coverage of the tournament out in Arizona a few weeks ago. I can't remember the EXACT phrasing, but it was during what used to be the Bob Hope Desert classic I think, which is a similar Pro-Am event- actually it used to be a really popular pro-am type of deal with Presidents, actors and such being a very big part of the show. Anyhows, The announcers gave a real dig at their counterparts at CBS with something along the line of "..while this is a Pro-Am, we will be focusing on the pros more than the celebrities. We think people are getting tired of the antics..." or something like that. It was just tossed out matter of fact with no further explanation. Now, is that a dig, or is THAT a dig? BUT- you can bet if NBC had rights to PB, things might have been a bit different.

Whatever it is, it's working so far because he was tied for the lead yesterday - if something doesn't change quickly we may have to suffer through seeing him on Sunday.  :bugout:   I'm with you, @colin007 , I've tired of Berman a long time ago, but at least we don't have to listen to his shtick (those GD nicknames - e-flipping-nuf already!!!  We get it, you're from the 60's/70's and think you're clever!!  Pssst, you're not.)  while he's golfing. :-P   Of course, his golfing shtick (hawaiian shirts, the stupid hat, unwarranted anger on occasion) is tiresome as well. TBH, I'm quite over EVERYTHING about the Pro-Am part of this tournament.  I get no joy from watching Berman be fat, or Bill Murray mosey, or any of the stupid rich guys with the "4 handicaps" (and the 18 handicap swings) that aren't even famous. Just show me the pros and the courses and I'm happy.  (Wow, did not realize that I was in the mood to rant this morning) ;)

Dude, you are spot on. For me it reinforces the thought (true or not) that golf is a sport for rich men. I shouldn't be on tv because I suck. Why should these guys? Just because they have money and connections? No thanks. Take your vanity cap and GTFO, show me the pros.

Colin P.

I'm with you guys on coverage of a few selected amateurs.

The West Coast Swing generates massive amounts for Charities thanks to the Celebrities and many of them that started these events.

Even though many are no longer around, Hope, Crosby, Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr. and many others, Pro-AM's are a big part of the game.

So, I tolerate those that are golf challenged, putting it mildly and enjoy it for what they are.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Not sure if anyone else heard this little snippet from the Golf Channel/NBC coverage of the tournament out in Arizona a few weeks ago. I can't remember the EXACT phrasing, but it was during what used to be the Bob Hope Desert classic I think, which is a similar Pro-Am event- actually it used to be a really popular pro-am type of deal with Presidents, actors and such being a very big part of the show. Anyhows, The announcers gave a real dig at their counterparts at CBS with something along the line of "..while this is a Pro-Am, we will be focusing on the pros more than the celebrities. We think people are getting tired of the antics..." or something like that. It was just tossed out matter of fact with no further explanation.

Now, is that a dig, or is THAT a dig? BUT- you can bet if NBC had rights to PB, things might have been a bit different.

Sounds a bit like a dig, but it's also a tiny bit disingenuous.  The majority of the ams in the Hope tournament are just schmos who paid their way in.  Literally, ANYBODY (who has a handicap of, I think, about 18 or less) can buy their way into that tournament.  Granted, the pool is small because we're talking about something on the order of $25,000, but still, it's not made up entirely of celebrities and CEOs like the AT&T; is.  I would bet that if NBC showed the AT&T;, they'd also show the celebrities, just as CBS does.

EDIT:  2 years ago it was $29,000 to enter ... here's the brochure: http://thesandtrap.com/t/70484/ever-dream-of-playing-in-a-pga-tour-pro-am/0_30

Gary Mule Deer is the 2015 winner of the Danny Gans Memorial Award for the least funny Vegas comedian the Golf Channel inexplicably insists on giving airtime to.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Gary Mule Deer is the 2015 winner of the Danny Gans Memorial Award for the least funny Vegas comedian the Golf Channel inexplicably insists on giving airtime to.

Who the eff is this guy? So not funny. Stop dyeing your hair. You suck.

Colin P.

I have very fond memories of the Crosby (all pre-AT&T;).  It was always one of the best parties of the year.  A friend's father lived in Monterey.  Every year they did a Friday night pub crawl around Monterey.  He would set up which bar to meet at based on the time you arrived in town.  Stumble home late.  Sleeping bags strewn about the house (for the prepared, sleeping pads)!  Breakfast for 20 and a quick drive over to Pebble on Saturday morning.  If you had dinner on the wharf, nearly always it included celebrity spotting, some whom were quite inebriated.  Good times.   It used to be a place where golfers and the celebs got loose.  I agree the whole concept has lost some of its charm.

Sneds hits all 18 greens....on Spyglass, no less.  That gets you good in a hurry!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I have a friend spectating and he said it is very uncrowded. Carmel is one of my favorite spots on earth. Yet this is my least favorite tournament of the year. If it wasn't for DVRs I wouldn't bother to watch it at all. It is amazing that with as many golfers as they have, there is so little actual golf shown. And could there be a less relevant group of celebrities ever gathered? Seriously, could anyone care less about people like Tm Dreeson, Gary Mule Deer, Kenny G, and Michael Bolton? I think Mule Deer was last seen guesting on Laugh-In. Bill Murray's on-course shtick is so old it should be in assisted living. Chris Berman might be one of the most repulsive people on the planet, second only to Larry the Cale Guy. A wonderful tournament in the old days, it has become an embarrassment to itself. Good ol' Bing must be rolling in his grave.
  • Upvote 1

I don't think they have the facilities for the 10's of thousands of spectators you might get an another venue. Even on Weekends, you don't see the THRONGS that might otherwise show up.

I have a friend spectating and he said it is very uncrowded.

Carmel is one of my favorite spots on earth.

A wonderful tournament in the old days, it has become an embarrassment to itself. Good ol' Bing must be rolling in his grave.

Plus the event is played at three sites.

Sundays crowd will be slightly larger.

I've only been there once many years ago.

Carmel and the 17 mile drive is spectacular, and there's not much room to pack a crowd on site.

I think everyone has to take the bus in & out.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Note: This thread is 3367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!