IGNORED

Are lower end golf brands finally catching up?

Note: This thread is 3325 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For anyone who is easily offended cover your eyes and ears because im going to say a very naughty word......

........Dunlop

There, ive said it. A company known to make some pretty rubbish stuff. But do they?

They are the Skoda of golf, the butt of jokes, "why do skodas have heated rear windows?"  "to keep your hands warm while pushing them!....etc.

But like Skoda i think Dunlop are finally getting it. Yes they still make some appaling budget clubs, for example i have a driving iron with a "Pro Flex" Rapport shaft and its rubbish.

Here is the thing though.I recently wanted to try a 5w and having seen good reviews i got a 2013 model Dunlop NZ9 in the sale for under £30 and i have to say it's superb.

Gone are the Rapport shafts, replaced with Grafalloy and, for this season a choice of Adila as well as Lamkin grips. It looks good and for the high/mid handicapper its excellent.

I never got on with fairways but this is just a joy to hit, long straight, everything you could want.

Most of my golf clothing is Dunlop (their Windstopper is excellent and at £14.99 a steal) and i have to admit that in the winter i use orange DDH balls and may buy the 3 piece DP1 for the summer,

It seems, with the adjustable DP1 range (driver under £120) they are finally getting with the program and getting close to Benross and MD Golf in the mid range catagory.

Dunlop is succesfull in the likes of Tennis, Squash and Badminton, as well as Motorsports with their tyres so its good to see them getting back into golf.

What would it take for more people to give the "lesser" brands a go and why are we still so quick to dismiss them?

Afterall the aforementioned Skoda are now one of the  most respected European car brands (thanks to VW-Audi Group and are the cheaper alternative to them) so could the likes of Dunlop get back to former glories in the future?

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Dunlop used to be a major brand in golf. I think even Gary Player used their clubs for a while. I use a Dunlop stand bag, although my decision was based on wanting a stand bag and it being $27 at a Big 5. Still, it's lasted three years and I like it.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I think the USGA has put strict enough limits on the equipment, as far as potential performance increases, that a lot of brands are essentially "catching up" somewhat on that front. For woods, the companies with bigger R & D budgets can't legally make the clubface hotter, anyway. For irons, as long as you use a good quality steel, it's simply not that expensive to make a decent head.

There are still some advantages to the more expensive brands, but they don't impact performance all that much. Often it's more about feel, looks, etc. But you still have to avoid the really cheaply made stuff, check reviews, make sure you are getting decent shafts and grips, etc. There's a lot of inconsistency with some of these brands.  But that can sometimes be true of some of the lower end product from some big names as well.

Dunlop used to be a major brand in golf. I think even Gary Player used their clubs for a while.

I use a Dunlop stand bag, although my decision was based on wanting a stand bag and it being $27 at a Big 5. Still, it's lasted three years and I like it.

I am fairly sure that Dunlop is the original maker of the Maxfli series of balls.  I think there may even have been Maxfli clubs back in the day.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Yep. Dunlop Maxfli red dot and green dot balls.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Dunlop and Slazenger were the biggest names in sport for decades in the UK and Australia/New Zealand.

In fact, they were the ONLY names until the mid 70s. Apart from Spalding.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Dunlop were one of the golf companies back in the day. Seve, Sandy Lyle as well as Gary Player won majors with Dunlop clubs and the Dunlop 65 was the equivalent to the Pro V1. It would be great if they could be a major British brand again but I suspect that they will struggle to get anywhere near the glory days.

My dads old clubs, of which I still have a couple, were Powerbilt (Citations).  Not sure if they were one of the bigger names or not, but I know they had some presense in the 70s/80s.

I just googled them and they are apparently still around! And their clubs are Nitrogen Charged!!!!!!!!!! :beer:

My dads old clubs, of which I still have a couple, were Powerbilt (Citations).  Not sure if they were one of the bigger names or not, but I know they had some presense in the 70s/80s.

I just googled them and they are apparently still around! And their clubs are Nitrogen Charged!!!!!!!!!!

The first clubs I ever bought (my original set was a hand me down set of fiberglass shafted Shakespeare Gary Player signature clubs: 1,2,3,4 woods, 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,PW & putter) was a set of Powerbilt Citation irons.  I do not remember much about them (early to mid 70s?) except that I loved the way they looked at address.  Of course coming from the blades in the Shakespeare set I imagine ANYTHING would have looked good.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

The first clubs I ever bought (my original set was a hand me down set of fiberglass shafted Shakespeare Gary Player signature clubs: 1,2,3,4 woods, 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,PW & putter) was a set of Powerbilt Citation irons.  I do not remember much about them (early to mid 70s?) except that I loved the way they looked at address.  Of course coming from the blades in the Shakespeare set I imagine ANYTHING would have looked good.

Lol ... You used to golf with fishing rods!!!

Dunlop is better quality than Wilson (non-staff) and all the other department store brands.  I have a lot of their clubs in my backup bag.  Foremost irons (by Dunlop) are as good as any cast CB and are typically a ripoff of some well-known design (mine are basically a cleaner-looking Big Bertha).  I also have a beautiful "Hexsert" #9 putter and a 60 degree Vokey wannabe wedge.  One I thing I have always noticed is that the grips they put on are quality items so they feel as good as they work.  I also have a "Vengeance" 3 wood which I bought for 50 cents at a play-it-again.  Again, a great design and it just works.  I did have a bad experience with a Dunlop DS Tao driver where a slight mishit caused the crown to come apart at what looked to be an epoxy seam, so avoid that one.  But all in all, for a cheap brand I think you have picked the correct one.

You can too!

These are the ones I had (that isn't my auction, - I do not have them any more)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rare-Shakespeare-Gary-Player-Signature-Model-Irons-2-Thru-PW-Glass-Shaft-/120971976487

I recently pulled a shaft from a modern Adams fairway wood because it seemed WAY too flexible for a "stiff" (this was an Adams TL Supershaft, probably from a box set) and I discovered it was fiberglass!  No kidding, I had to cut it at the hosel and the soft glass fibers were all over the place.  No carbon in this one anywhere.  I get that they don't specify "graphite" anywhere on the club but I thought for sure that was obsolete tech.  I guess some factory in China figured out a way to save a few pennies be re-introducing the fiberglass shaft for Adams.

Dunlop is better quality than Wilson (non-staff) and all the other department store brands.  I have a lot of their clubs in my backup bag.  Foremost irons (by Dunlop) are as good as any cast CB and are typically a ripoff of some well-known design (mine are basically a cleaner-looking Big Bertha).  I also have a beautiful "Hexsert" #9 putter and a 60 degree Vokey wannabe wedge.  One I thing I have always noticed is that the grips they put on are quality items so they feel as good as they work.  I also have a "Vengeance" 3 wood which I bought for 50 cents at a play-it-again.  Again, a great design and it just works.  I did have a bad experience with a Dunlop DS Tao driver where a slight mishit caused the crown to come apart at what looked to be an epoxy seam, so avoid that one.  But all in all, for a cheap brand I think you have picked the correct one.

All their low end stuff if made in the same factory in China as all the rest. Little quality control or care. No point in comparing crapples to crapples.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I recently pulled a shaft from a modern Adams fairway wood because it seemed WAY too flexible for a "stiff" (this was an Adams TL Supershaft, probably from a box set) and I discovered it was fiberglass!  No kidding,

You did not. Not true.

It may have been a fake Adams club, but that is extremely unlikely.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

... What would it take for more people to give the "lesser" brands a go and why are we still so quick to dismiss them?

Afterall the aforementioned Skoda are now one of the  most respected European car brands (thanks to VW-Audi Group and are the cheaper alternative to them) so could the likes of Dunlop get back to former glories in the future?

Not all people are eager to dismiss them, or these lesser brands wouldn't still in business. When you go outside the major OEMs (TM, Callaway, Ping, etc.), you just have to do your homework.

Also, you have niche brands which do their own design work and have solid quality control.

• Tour Edge up in Batavia, IL, makes the Exotics line.
  • Tom Wishon Golf makes a full array of golf clubs - including six models of irons - which are custom fit. Plus, TW is a respected club designer and technical analyst.
  • GolfWorks produces the Maltby line of golf clubs - you can get them assembled or as components. Also, GoldWorks serves as a major logistics clearing house for shafts and grips for the USA, and analyzes dozens of iron models each year for its Maltby Playability FActor ratings.
  • Hireko Golf distributes Dynacraft and Acer products - you can get either full clubs or components.

As for former glories , some brands may be able to follow the lead of the major OEMs and have lines catering to the recreational golfer. Among the major OEMs: Adidas will probably have TM focus on competitive golfers, and Adams on recreational golfers. Srixon will focus on competitive golfers, while subsidiary Clevelandwill focus on recreational.

Golfers must also note reasonable expected usage for their clubs. If you buy a decent boxed set, and play twice a month, the set will last a decade. If you catch the golf bug bad and play twice a week, you may need a new set by season 3.

All their low end stuff if made in the same factory in China as all the rest. Little quality control or care. No point in comparing crapples to crapples.

Take a look at the origin stickers on most of your golf clubs these days:

• Head - made in China
  • Shaft - made in China, Vietnam, lots of places
  • Assembled - China, USA, Mexico, Vietnam, lot so places

So, a majority of your golf clubheads are made in steel plants in China.

Again, finding good gear among the smaller firms is a matter of doing your homework. Some non-major OEMs have the foundaries make them "open stock" heads that vary little from year to year, but are of decent quality. From 1994 to 2008, I played with a set of custom-fit Pro Tour Black irons (Ping Eye2 clones).  These heads cost me a premium price from the custom fitter, but they were tough and durable, and after several hundred round still had sharp grooves.

Again, there's solid non-major OEM clubs out there, it you know what you're looking for.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Quote:

Originally Posted by RussUK

... What would it take for more people to give the "lesser" brands a go and why are we still so quick to dismiss them?

Not all people are eager to dismiss them, or these lesser brands wouldn't still in business. When you go outside the major OEMs (TM, Callaway, Ping, etc.), you just have to do your homework.

Also, you have niche brands which do their own design work and have solid quality control.

Tour Edge up in Batavia, IL, makes the Exotics line.

Tom Wishon Golf makes a full array of golf clubs - including six models of irons - which are custom fit. Plus, TW is a respected club designer and technical analyst.

GolfWorks produces the Maltby line of golf clubs - you can get them assembled or as components. Also, GoldWorks serves as a major logistics clearing house for shafts and grips for the USA, and analyzes dozens of iron models each year for its Maltby Playability FActor ratings.

Hireko Golf distributes Dynacraft and Acer products - you can get either full clubs or components.

As for former glories, some brands may be able to follow the lead of the major OEMs and have lines catering to the recreational golfer. Among the major OEMs: Adidas will probably have TM focus on competitive golfers, and Adams on recreational golfers. Srixon will focus on competitive golfers, while subsidiary Clevelandwill focus on recreational.

Golfers must also note reasonable expected usage for their clubs. If you buy a decent boxed set, and play twice a month, the set will last a decade. If you catch the golf bug bad and play twice a week, you may need a new set by season 3.

Quote on Dunlop and (non-Staff) Wilson:

Originally Posted by SavvySwede

Take a look at the origin stickers on most of your golf clubs these days:

Head - made in China

Shaft - made in China, Vietnam, lots of places

Assembled - China, USA, Mexico, Vietnam, lot so places

So, a majority of your golf clubheads are made in steel plants in China.

Again, finding good gear among the smaller firms is a matter of doing your homework. Some non-major OEMs have the foundaries make them "open stock" heads that vary little from year to year, but are of decent quality. From 1994 to 2008, I played with a set of custom-fit Pro Tour Black irons (Ping Eye2 clones).  These heads cost me a premium price from the custom fitter, but they were tough and durable, and after several hundred round still had sharp grooves.

Again, there's solid non-major OEM clubs out there, it you know what you're looking for.

They were talking about Dunlops and boxed sets which do have little quality control or care these days. I have nothing against Tour Edge or Wishon. Totally different realms

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

You did not. Not true.

It may have been a fake Adams club, but that is extremely unlikely.

Pretty crazy, I know.  I got it from a prominent ebay seller (rhymes with malice golf) that seems to deal in a lot of Adams prototype gear.  It's a 5 wood, the head is nice, but the shaft, marked "s flex", felt like a senior or soft-regular at best.  The shaft has the Adams golf logo on one side and the other side says "Supershaft tight lies plus lightweight 70 gram FW".  So I started by pulling the grip off and found just a layer of regular one-sided masking tape under it.  Under that is a sticker that says 109 gram.  Pulling the shaft compromised the weak tip so I cut it at the hosel and found the unmistakeable look of fiberglass with light, puffy cloth fibers looking like cotton candy (and embedding in my fingers and floating towards my airstream, yikes!).  After the pull I weighed it and sure enough, 95 grams minus the tip.  Definitely heavy, weak, fiberglass construction.  Seems like a silly thing to "counterfeit" being from a box set so I assume it is the Chinese supplier cutting corners.  Not sure if Adams even knows such a thing exists.  Pictures available upon request.

Note: This thread is 3325 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!