IGNORED

Keeping clubs looking like new

Note: This thread is 3358 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Any tips for keeping my new clubs looking like new? Best way is not to use them but really like to keep them in top shape and looking for advice

You can't really stop nicks and scratches.

I use dish soap and a nylon bristle. I never use the metal brushes.

Besides that, nothing you can do besides keeping them clean.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You can't really stop nicks and scratches.  I use dish soap and a nylon bristle. I never use the metal brushes.  Besides that, nothing you can do besides keeping them clean.

That's exactly what I do. I also use the scrubbing side of a sponge to get ball marks or range ball paint off of the club face. I'm anal; I wash every club I hit every time, even after going to the driving range. There's only so much you can do. You can designate one club to be your beater club for bad lies or punchouts to minimize the damage. That's why my 5i is more dinged up underneath than other clubs. But yeah, I can't imagine you can take care of your clubs much more than I do, and they all still have a bunch of face wear and pockmarks underneath. Some finishes age better than others but there's only so much you can do.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

You can't really stop nicks and scratches.  I use dish soap and a nylon bristle. I never use the metal brushes.  Besides that, nothing you can do besides keeping them clean.

Pretty much this ^^^^^. I will add to replace your driver/FW/hybrid head covers after every shot or contact with other clubs will tend to chip the finish. I also wipe each club with a wet towel after each shot on the course, or when finished with it on the range. And no, iron covers are NOT needed, nor recommended! ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

And no, iron covers are NOT needed, nor recommended? ;-)

Yeah, Jesus, we have lives to lead. Irons will be fine, haha. I can't imagine being that guy.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I have always used Borax, and a Magic Eraser on my clubs. I use the Magic Eraser after each swing, even during practice to clean the club face. It's part of my post shot routine. I use the Borax when i want to give my clubs a really good cleaning, including the grips. I just have to make sure I rinse them off really well.

http://www.staples.com/Mr-Clean-Magic-Eraser-Bath-Scrubber-2-Pack/product_100685

https://www.lehmans.com/p-3484-20-mule-team-borax.aspx?utm_source=Bing&utm;_medium=CPC&utm;_campaign=NB_PLA_Laundry_BING&zmam;=32933335&zmas;=1&zmac;=20&zmap;=627977

When out golfing, I keep the Magic Eraser wet by keeping it in a zip lock bag. The critter just does the job.

BTW you can cut down on some of the nicks, and other damage to club faces by cleaning them after each use. I see so many golfers on the range continually hitting balls with out cleaning the club face between smacks on the ball. No big deal to me since it's not my furniture............

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I have always used Borax, and a Magic Eraser on my clubs. I use the Magic Eraser after each swing, even during practice to clean the club face. It's part of my post shot routine. I use the Borax when i want to give my clubs a really good cleaning, including the grips. I just have to make sure I rinse them off really well.  [URL=http://www.staples.com/Mr-Clean-Magic-Eraser-Bath-Scrubber-2-Pack/product_100685]http://www.staples.com/Mr-Clean-Magic-Eraser-Bath-Scrubber-2-Pack/product_100685[/URL] [URL=https://www.lehmans.com/p-3484-20-mule-team-borax.aspx?utm_source=Bing&utm;_medium=CPC&utm;_campaign=NB_PLA_Laundry_BING&zmam;=32933335&zmas;=1&zmac;=20&zmap;=627977]https://www.lehmans.com/p-3484-20-mule-team-borax.aspx?utm_source=Bing&utm;_medium=CPC&utm;_campaign=NB_PLA_Laundry_BING&zmam;=32933335&zmas;=1&zmac;=20&zmap;=627977[/URL] When out golfing, I keep the Magic Eraser wet by keeping it in a zip lock bag. The critter just does the job. BTW you can cut down on some of the nicks, and other damage to club faces by cleaning them after each use. I see so many golfers on the range continually hitting balls with out cleaning the club face between smacks on the ball. No big deal to me since it's not my furniture............

The on-range cleaning issue isn't a problem around here for the most part because everything is on mats. Only time it comes up is if the mats are wet or the balls weren't rinsed well. Otherwise, all you get are occasional ball marks. I'll wipe the driver between swings though so I can see where impact was after the swing. Ball marks on irons are less reliable with range balls.

Dom's Sticks:

Regardless of what some of these goofs say, I use iron covers. Keeps them new and shiny except for the face and sole. No shame in my game.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Regardless of what some of these goofs say, I use iron covers. Keeps them new and shiny except for the face and sole. No shame in my game.

+1

Bag chatter looks like ass.

My Ping Eye 2s from circa 1990 still look like they did the day I bought them.  The Titleist Tour Models that they replaced...not so much since I didn't use covers back then.

Regards,

Mark

Currently in the bag

Driver: TaylorMade SLDR S 10* --- Fairway: Cobra BioCell 3 and 5 Metal --- Hybrid: Nike VR 3 Hybrid
Irons: Ping i20 (4-5) , S56 (6-PW) --- Wedges: Ping Tour Gorge 52* & 56* SS --- Putter: Nike Method 004 --- Ball: Nike 20 Xi

A couple guys I play with use the covers, and they seem to do a pretty good job. I considered them, but really can't be bothered. Hell, I even took the cover off my putter because it was annoying.

That said, I wipe down my club after every shot. Always keep one side of the towel damp for wiping it off. Keeps them clean, and I don't have to worry about cleaning them after a round.

My metal woods? I put carnauba wax on them to protect the finish (unless they're the matte finish like Pings). It makes them nice and shiny. Besides you keep them covered. My irons? I don't want them looking new. The last thing on the golf course I want is to look new. Bag chatter and marks on the soles of the irons are fine by me. I do keep my head cover on my putter, though.

So it hurts resale, but I don't have Mizuno forged blades or Pings, so there's no cult around them. I'm not going to get over $100 for the set used anyway. They're not standard length either so they'll be difficult to sell.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I clean my entire set with a mild soap solution and warm water after every round or range session. I use an old toothbrush, cleaning cloths and elbow grease to keep them clean. I also clean down my bag and head covers. Straighten out all the pockets and restock tees etc. I hate it when my bag doesn't look pristine. In the harsh UK winter weather that takes some doing. In the summer I'll be washing down my trolley more regularly too. #anal #OCD

:tmade: SLDR Driver 9.5* (Loft Down!:-P) :ping: i20 3 Wood 15* :tmade: Jetspeed 3 Hybrid 19* :tmade: Jetspeed 4 Hybrid 22* :mizuno: JPX-EZ Forged 5 - GW SCOR SW & LW :ping: O-Blade putter

Does anybody here spray forged irons with a lubricant spray/WD40, I heard it's good to protect the iron club heads, not sure if this applies to cast club heads but I guess so? I read that, over time, rust spots can appear on the club face, particularly on forged if not cared for, and the metal lubricant spray protects the metal in between rounds? (I just got my first set of forged mizuno so I'm doing this, particularly over winter)

Gaz Lee

At the golf clubhouse 'Lost and Found' cupboard i saw many, many little iron head covers.

I do not use an iron cover, nor a  putter cover.  I cover my two tender hybrids but not the driver.

Does anybody here spray forged irons with a lubricant spray/WD40, I heard it's good to protect the iron club heads, not sure if this applies to cast club heads but I guess so? I read that, over time, rust spots can appear on the club face, particularly on forged if not cared for, and the metal lubricant spray protects the metal in between rounds? (I just got my first set of forged mizuno so I'm doing this, particularly over winter)

These are now 5 years old, and have well over 600 rounds on them. They get wiped with a damp cloth after each shot, but no other treatment or protection. No worries.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

These are now 5 years old, and have well over 600 rounds on them. They get wiped with a damp cloth after each shot, but no other treatment or protection. No worries.

That's fine if you plan on keeping them. Fortunately, I like to try different equipment and don't care for forged. Lets see the backs.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

For longevity of "like new" ...

If you get irons with a brush-nickel rather than a chrome finish, they will show less bag wear.

That's one thing I like about my X20 Tours.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Any tips for keeping my new clubs looking like new? Best way is not to use them but really like to keep them in top shape and looking for advice

Just keep them clean.

Even tour players can't avoid some wear and tear.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3358 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!