IGNORED

2015 Masters Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3308 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Early birdie for Spieth. Lead is up to 4.

Spieth is going to be tough to beat.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

that tidbit about first round leaders not holding on for the win on Sunday (only three in the last 30-something years-Immelman, Ballesteros, Floyd? ) doesn't bode well for Spieth...... how often have you seen someone in tour events shoot lights out then throw up the next round ? not sure if that's a wire-to-wire stat ---but maybe the kid has got what it takes between the ears to handle the overnight pressure for the next couple of nights.....good luck to him - hope he does it.

That does seem to happen often. I know I do that often myself. That's golf, I guess. Back to the topic: I am hoping Tiger plays well today. At least he has a good start. As for my pick in the contest, Rory at -6 seems highly unlikely given the scoring and the leaders.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

If that is actually true, that really devastates my hopes of Anirban Lahiri winning.

On the plus side, he's in one of the featured groups today so you can track him all the way round :dance:

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

that tidbit about first round leaders not holding on for the win on Sunday (only three in the last 30-something years-Immelman, Ballesteros, Floyd? ) doesn't bode well for Spieth......how often have you seen someone in tour events shoot lights out then throw up the next round? not sure if that's a wire-to-wire stat ---but maybe the kid has got what it takes between the ears to handle the overnight pressure for the next couple of nights.....good luck to him - hope he does it.

A lot of first round leaders, though, are your 40th or 50th ranked players in the world kinda players who get off to hot starts and fade, like a Kentucky Derby. I don't see Spieth as just a "hot starter." He's a guy who can play well into Sunday as well. Kaymer and Rory both went wire-to-wire in their majors last year. It's very possible he may fade, but if you're going to say Spieth is going to fade just because that's what traditionally happens, I don't know if I'd agree with that.

Birdie start for tiger.
  • Upvote 2

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

A lot of first round leaders, though, are your 40th or 50th ranked players in the world kinda players who get off to hot starts and fade, like a Kentucky Derby. I don't see Spieth as just a "hot starter." He's a guy who can play well into Sunday as well. Kaymer and Rory both went wire-to-wire in their majors last year. It's very possible he may fade, but if you're going to say Spieth is going to fade just because that's what traditionally happens, I don't know if I'd agree with that.

It'd be interesting to see statistically if there's any correlation between a players OWGR and how often they're able to gain a first round lead and win the tournament.  I'd venture to guess that the higher a player is ranked in the OWGR, the more likely they'd be to hold the lead throughout the tournament.  Speith came into this tournament on fire.  At this point, if he's not going to be the leader going into Sunday, he's likely to be near the top so we'll certainly see how he may or may not have grown from last year's Master's.

Personally, if Phil or Tiger doesn't win, I want Sergio to win.

Birdie start for tiger.

Sweet!

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Sounds like storms are on their way to Augusta. Might be a delay soon. If that's the case, hopefully Tiger can re-activate his glutes properly before going back out.

Btw, Louis Oosthuizen is on fire.

Sounds like storms are on their way to Augusta. Might be a delay soon. If that's the case, hopefully Tiger can re-activate his glutes properly before going back out. Btw, Louis Oosthuizen is on fire.

Why what happened?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Sounds like storms are on their way to Augusta. Might be a delay soon. If that's the case, hopefully Tiger can re-activate his glutes properly before going back out.

Not sure what you mean - he birdied the first and has a birdie putt on the second. I think his glutes are probably ok...

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

What are the rules for the cut btw? Top 50 and ties?

....and 10 shots off the lead

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

A couple of photo albums from redditors. The first one has shots of spots I haven't seen before.

http://imgur.com/gallery/t8p2k

http://imgur.com/a/9ihhg

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Geez....another birdie for Spieth. And it's not like the 5th is an easy hole.

I like Spieth, but I don't want to see a runaway this weekend. However, is there anything in his play of late that makes you believe he's going to come back to the field? He blew out the field just a few months ago in Australia.

Thanks.

Current Cut Line is +2

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Geez....another birdie for Spieth. And it's not like the 5th is an easy hole.

I like Spieth, but I don't want to see a runaway this weekend. However, is there anything in his play of late that makes you believe he's going to come back to the field? He blew out the field just a few months ago in Australia.

That dude can putt lights out.

-Jerry

How Jordan does will impact who can make the cut past 50th place.   That's going to be interesting to watch.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I'm not sure Speith is the type of guy to let the field back in, but time will tell.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Note: This thread is 3308 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!