IGNORED

Game Golf iPhone/Android App adds GPS Rangefinder

Note: This thread is 3395 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I currently use Golfshot for my stats and score during a round so I will have to try GG for a comparison. Like some of you have said, the GPS stuff via a mobile is fiddly and time consuming IMO.

Matt

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just downloaded the app for my Droid phone and an iPhone that was purchased off from the net.  It has no cell phone contract and is used as a music player.  After playing around with the iPhone for about a minute with the Game Golf app running, it dawned on me that it wasn't doing all that it was supposed to be doing.  Duh, no GPS on this older phone. :doh: I then fired up the Droid and noticed that the first hole on my home course is messed up.  I guess I should send an email off to them so it will be ready to go when the course opens up.  I already purchased the Game Golf unit a couple of months ago.  I still have to put the tags in the clubs.  At first I felt a little slighted on this free app approach with no unit or tags.  But in the end for me, it all boils down to the hate I have of trying to see the screen on the phone in the bright sunlight along with the big battery drain.  Once the gps is fired up on my phone, you better have it in a charger.  I'd rather be tagging the shots then playing around with a phone anyway.  I would feel miffed if the accuracy between the phone and GG unit were not on the same page.

Oh, I should probably add that I have not seen any other rounds on my home course with Game Golf.  I'm not the person you want leading the charge. :whistle:

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

I didn't realize that the free version of the app does the shot tracking, as well. I'd still prefer the belt unit, but it kind of annoys me that I paid good money for it when I could have gotten the function for free. Actually, I'm more than "kind of" annoyed.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

but I'd be pretty cheesed if they gave away the functionality for free after I'd paid the money

Actually, I'm more than "kind of" annoyed.

Would you say you're cheesed? Haha.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I currently use Golfshot for my stats and score during a round so I will have to try GG for a comparison. Like some of you have said, the GPS stuff via a mobile is fiddly and time consuming IMO.

Yeah, I'm curious if this does the same thing as Golfshots does.

Originally Posted by dkolo

Quote:

Originally Posted by billchao

I didn't realize that the free version of the app does the shot tracking, as well. I'd still prefer the belt unit, but it kind of annoys me that I paid good money for it when I could have gotten the function for free.

Actually, I'm more than "kind of" annoyed.

Would you say you're cheesed? Haha.

I'd be annoyed, too.  I use my phone as a scorecard and got Game Golf because I like the post-round software features that SwingbySwing and, from what I've noticed, Golfshots doesn't have.

But if I can use those features by using the GG app instead of the belt and not have anything be different, then, yeah, I'd be cheesed, too.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

GAME GOLF Releases Free App GAME GOLF, the first wearable device that automatically tracks and graphically displays a golfer’s round with valuable game data and statistics, today announced the new GAME GOLF Tracking App enabling Golfers to track their game and club distances in real-time, and manage their game with a built-in GPS rangefinder, all from their iOS or Android device. No purchase of the GAME Golf physical device is required to use the new App. In celebration of GAME GOLF’s newest free app and its Irish roots, the company is giving away a once-in-a-lifetime Irish golf vacation. GAME GOLF App Two players and one guest each, who post a minimum of three 18-hole golf rounds with either the GAME GOLF wearable device or the new GAME GOLF Tracking App from now through June 30, 2015, will be eligible to receive an all-expense paid golf trip to Ireland. For contest rules, log on to GAMEGOLF.com. “If you don’t truly understand your game it’s hard to improve. The free GAME GOLF Tracking App allows golfers to see their shot performance in real-time, something which many amateur golfers will never have had access to before,” said John McGuire, CEO of GAME GOLF. “Further, it affords everyone access to the GAME GOLF platform to gather stats, collect data and share their game with friends, family, coaches and instructors.” The GAME GOLF Tracking App can be downloaded and put in play just before teeing off. The App provides golfers with an aerial view of each hole, distances to key locations using the GPS Rangefinder feature, and the ability to “tag” each shot by selecting the club used. You’ll be able to see – greens in regulations, fairway accuracy, scrambling percentage, putts per hole, club distances and more. Golfers can view their platform profile and data on their mobile device or at GAMEGOLF.com. The GAME GOLF TRACKING App can be downloaded for free on iOS in the App Store or on Android at the Google Play Store.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

GAME GOLF Releases Free App

I don't understand this move. The belt device is legal for tournament use, arguably less intrusive to use during the round, but I don't know how that can demand a $200 premium over their free app. It seems like they are significantly eating into their own target market.

When they launched the indiegogo campaign website access was going to cost something like $20/yr on top of the cost of the device with one year free after purchase. Perhaps they will start charging app users an annual fee for access to the site and the analytics but leave it free for device owners.

I don't understand this move. The belt device is legal for tournament use, arguably less intrusive to use during the round, but I don't know how that can demand a $200 premium over their free app. It seems like they are significantly eating into their own target market.  When they launched the indiegogo campaign website access was going to cost something like $20/yr on top of the cost of the device with one year free after purchase. Perhaps they will start charging app users an annual fee for access to the site and the analytics but leave it free for device owners.

I think I agree with you, but if they charged $20 a year for using the app, I'd either buy the unit or stop using the app. It's a bit of a hassle to use the app and free is the right price point for it as it's currently designed. Too much fumbling around when I'm in a hurry

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

• Administrator

I don't understand this move. The belt device is legal for tournament use, arguably less intrusive to use during the round, but I don't know how that can demand a $200 premium over their free app. It seems like they are significantly eating into their own target market.

When they launched the indiegogo campaign website access was going to cost something like $20/yr on top of the cost of the device with one year free after purchase. Perhaps they will start charging app users an annual fee for access to the site and the analytics but leave it free for device owners.

That's the only business model that seems to make sense to me. I too question this decision.

We have this thread too:

I think this is the same app and the same release, but it was out weeks ago, obviously.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Definitely a weird one, but I'm with others in that I prefer the belt device - much more subtle during play and actually, I have a GPS watch I can measure distances with. I don't want to be 'that guy' on his phone the entire time.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

• 4 weeks later...

I think having this as a free app is a good business plan.  I've played 2 rounds with the app and will continue to use it through the TST challenge.  After that I will no longer use the app but I may buy the product.

The app is a good trial to see how the product works but is way too much of a hassle for me to use on a course.  My preshot routine with the app:

1. Use my Bushnell rangefinder (if necessary) to determine distance and club to use

2. Take my smart phone out of my back pocket

3. Push the 'on' button on the phone

4. Take off my dark prescription glasses because I can't read the phone (they could have easier to read display colors and fonts given that we often are playing in direct sunlight)

5. Swipe the lock button on the Game Golf app

6. Push the '+' (tag) button on the app

7. Push the club button on the app

8. Put the phone back in the pocket

9. Put my dark glasses back on

10. Pull my club from my bag

11. One practice swing

12. Line up and hit the ball

Also, it takes discipline to remember to do all that, especially on that last tap in putt from 1'.

I do enjoy the output from all this.  But it's way too much of a hassle and seems to throw me off my game.  Like I said, I'll probably buy the full product because of using the free app.

I'm not a Game Golf user yet, but have been following the threads and reading the reviews because the technology interests me.  I'd guess (as several have previously postulated) that they're giving away the functionality in the app to allow potential users to "test drive" their system and hopefully find it useful enough to buy the belt device.  The app interests me enough that I may give it a try just to see how it all works, but there's about 99.99% certainty that if I like it enough, I'd buy the belt device/club tags.  I presently don't use my phone on the course at all for anything (it stays muted and zipped up in my bag), and I think the hassle of having to pull it out on every shot, unlock the phone and tag the club would be more than I would endure on a long-term basis (and by long-term, I mean anything more than testing it for a round or two).  To me, the distraction and hassle would far outweigh the benefits, whereas quickly tagging the club with the belt device seems virtually effortless.  Even at the price of 'free', I can't see very many golfers wanting to dick around with their phone that much during every shot of every round, so I think Game Golf can feel pretty safe in thinking that the app is more or less just a "demo mode" for their product.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

I dowloaded the app and have used it for a few rounds, mostly unsigned as I made a dog's lunch out of the first few attempts at using it. I too thought it was an awfully strange business decision to release the free app but in hindsight it's a pretty good marketing idea. I doubt I would have shelled out the cash for a GG unit, I'd rather save that money for a range finder, but I was curious enough to try the free app. The app is a PITA to use on course, not terribly so but enough to be an annoyance. But now that I've experienced the awesome feedback of reviewing my round through GGs software, I'm hooked and WILL be buying the unit. So the app strategy turned me from a "highly unlikely to purchase" to "can't wait till Father's Day".

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Played a round trying to use the GameGolf app on my Samsung this morning.  Located course, tagged my first shot of the round, tried to tag my second shot but the screen froze.  I couldn't get my phone to function at all and had to restart the phone... meanwhile all 3 other players had taken their second shot and were waiting for me.  Yikes!  Phone went in the bag never to come out again until after the round.

This is the second time the app has froze on my Samsung S4 causing me to shutdown and restart the phone.  I just uninstalled the app.

Still undecided about buying the hardware product.  I always think when you are undecided, just gather more information.  Oh well.  Maybe I'm just done with distracting gizmos while playing golf.

Used GG app for a round, it's interesting. Not sure how much it differs from the device but I noticed that the tagging is sometimes widely off, especially on putts. I didn't even bother fixing the putt marking but I tried to adjust the others as best I could remember. Can't say seeing my score was very nice, but it was interesting seeing the distances I hit the ball, give/take the gps errors.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I don't have the GameGolf device but, I am intrested in the info it gives. So I am going to get the tags and give it a try with the app. I have used golf gps phone apps in the past but it is a PITA messing with the phone constantly, which is why I will get the tags. If I like the info that I get I will invest in the regular belt device. I have a second set of clubs I use sometimes just to use something different so the extra tags would go on those clubs.

I don't have the GameGolf device but, I am intrested in the info it gives. So I am going to get the tags and give it a try with the app.

I have used golf gps phone apps in the past but it is a PITA messing with the phone constantly, which is why I will get the tags. If I like the info that I get I will invest in the regular belt device. I have a second set of clubs I use sometimes just to use something different so the extra tags would go on those clubs.

No, no. You're misunderstanding. The app doesn't use anything besides the app. You tag by pressing the button representing each club. Physical tags will do nothing for you without the belt device. You have two options to achieve the same goal of using game golf for round tracking, both of which give you the same end result:

1) Buy the Game Golf unit, attach tags to you clubs and tag them to your belt unit throughout the round ($119-$199)

2) Download the app and select your club on the screen before every shot ($Free)

Never the twain shall they meet, though. Other than being able to see your aggregate stats from previous rounds on your iphone using the app if you're using the belt device, the app has exactly nothing to do with the belt device or the physical tags in terms of how it is used for tagging.

Dom's Sticks:

No, no. You're misunderstanding. The app doesn't use anything besides the app. You tag by pressing the button representing each club. Physical tags will do nothing for you without the belt device. You have two options to achieve the same goal of using game golf for round tracking, both of which give you the same end result: 1) Buy the Game Golf unit, attach tags to you clubs and tag them to your belt unit throughout the round ($119-$199) 2) Download the app and select your club on the screen before every shot ($Free) Never the twain shall they meet, though. Other than being able to see your aggregate stats from previous rounds on your iphone using the app if you're using the belt device, the app has exactly nothing to do with the belt device or the physical tags in terms of how it is used for tagging.

The Android version allows you to use the tags as long as your phone has NFC. If you have an iPhone Apple blocks access to NFC for apps by second party devs. I have read they will allow NFC by second party devs on the iPhone 6 in the future. If you have an Android phone or tablet go to the settings where you will see where you can turn on the use of the tags. I have read in other forums where users have been using the tags on with the app without problems. So on Andoid phonesnwith NFC you can use thebtagsbwith the app. But, the GPS will be on constantly, which is whybI will buy the belt unit in the future.

Note: This thread is 3395 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!