IGNORED

Lee Trevino Says Chris Como Called Him for Chipping Advice

billchao
Note: This thread is 3299 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/lee-trevino-says-tiger-woods-coach-called-him-chipping-advice

Quote:

“I was in the Best Buy parking lot in Palm Springs this February and my cell phone rang and it was Chris,” Trevino said. “He wanted to know about chipping and how you teach it.”

While he didn’t say what advice he offered the new coach, Trevino did say Woods’ problems were bigger than just one issue.

“He’s worked on the chipping and putting and irons, but he forgot about hitting the driver,” Trevino said. “When I was playing well it didn’t matter how narrow the fairways were, I could put it on the sidewalk if I needed to.”

The fact that Chris Como reached out to Lee Trevino is no surprise. He is a very smart guy and would have no hesitation to ask someone he respects for his or her input. Additionally, he would never let his ego get in the way of helping a client; in this respect Chris isn't your average Tour Instructor.

Interesting that Chris Como would call Lee Trevino about Tiger's short game woes, since Trevino's technique is exactly the opposite of what Tiger needs to do (it's also mentioned in the article).

He could have gone here: , or you know, called the thread's creator ;-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sad that Trevino felt the need to tell people that Como called him.  I like Lee, but I'm growing tired of all the guys that are trying to remain relevant by jumping on Tigers back.

Joe Paradiso

Sad that Trevino felt the need to tell people that Como called him.  I like Lee, but I'm growing tired of all the guys that are trying to remain relevant by jumping on Tigers back.

Tempted to bet-No way to actually know-that Lee did not even get the call. That he is just making it up. Why would you call Lee Trevino? If you are going to call any old timer call Ray Floyd. And that is even completely unnecessary.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Completely agree. That's the kind of thing you keep to yourself if you're Trevino. And if you're como and tiger improves a bunch, then it's up to you to thank Trevino publicly if you want.

Completely agree. That's the kind of thing you keep to yourself if you're Trevino. And if you're como and tiger improves a bunch, then it's up to you to thank Trevino publicly if you want.

Absolutely... :-D

Tempted to bet-No way to actually know-that Lee did not even get the call. That he is just making it up.

Why would you call Lee Trevino? If you are going to call any old timer call Ray Floyd. And that is even completely unnecessary.

I wouldn't take the bet.  I can't imagine Como calling Lee but I'm not that familiar with Trevino's career (did he have chipping yips?).

Joe Paradiso

I have no reason not to believe Lee.. What's in it for him if he lies? What's the best that could come out of it? What's the worst? What would he put himself in a position where Chris could easily come out and say, no I didn't call him. That would automatically put Lee in arguably the most embarrassing position he has ever been in. Having said that... What are you doing Chris? Have things got that bad? Sheesh. We all see what Tiger is going through, but come on.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu3baid View Post

Having said that... What are you doing Chris? Have things got that bad? Sheesh. We all see what Tiger is going through, but come on.

Don't disagree with the first half of your statement, but I don't get this part.  The commentary at the end of the article makes perfect sense to me:

Quote:
The fact that Chris Como reached out to Lee Trevino is no surprise. He is a very smart guy and would have no hesitation to ask someone he respects for his or her input. Additionally, he would never let his ego get in the way of helping a client; in this respect Chris isn't your average Tour Instructor.

Pretty reasonable to me.  Nothing wrong with a consultation.

Don't disagree with the first half of your statement, but I don't get this part.  The commentary at the end of the article makes perfect sense to me:

Pretty reasonable to me.  Nothing wrong with a consultation.

I am not one to object to consultation or seeking advice.  I just think when he became Tiger Woods coach there are certain things he should and shouldn't do.  If I were in Tiger Woods position and I just hired this coach to help me with my game, then I find out he is calling someone to get specifics on how to coach I would start doubting his abilities.

Maybe the avenue he took to get the advice wasn't a good one.  For example, maybe if he had seen Lee somewhere and talked to him one on one and part of the conversation was getting good ol' advice I wouldn't feel the same way, as there is nothing wrong with that even if Lee had come out and said "Yeah, I was having a conversation with me Chris and he asked me a few things about chipping"..(what else would they talk about? :) )

It just doesn't sound the same as "Hey, I was in a parking lot and out of no where Chris calls me to ask me specifically about chipping advice".. they just come off differently to me, and the first is ok while the second just seems like a rookie mistake to me that is easily avoidable.

Maybe one way to avoid it would have been for Chris to tell Lee.. hey by the way, I really hope that we can keep this conversation between us.. I still think there was no reason for Lee to come out and say this, basically it just labels him as the person who can't keep  conversation private!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Everything else aside, I bet it was a long call and Trevino did all the talking. :-P

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

I agree with you, but I hope you read the actual article, and not just my excerpt.

This is why I question the consultation:

Quote:

But the conundrum comes from the technical advice Trevino would offer Tiger on chipping. Growing up in Texas, Trevino learned very quickly that the ball must be struck before the ground when hitting shots from firm ground around the greens. To achieve this, the handle must be well forward of the clubhead at impact. This technique creates two specific issues: First, the leading edge of the club engages with the ground, not the bounce. Tiger was already struggling with getting the leading edge too involved earlier this year in Phoenix and San Diego, which led to his unprecedented struggles.

Second, the ball comes out lower and hotter with Trevino’s technique, just the opposite of what is needed to execute the treacherous shots around the greens at Augusta National. While Trevino used this style with great success at the British Open, it never served him well at the Masters. The rub is that the technical aspects of the chipping motion that created Tiger's problems are very similar to what Trevino used for his success. In other words, they go together like blue jeans and Augusta National.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu3baid View Post

I am not one to object to consultation or seeking advice.  I just think when he became Tiger Woods coach there are certain things he should and shouldn't do.  If I were in Tiger Woods position and I just hired this coach to help me with my game, then I find out he is calling someone to get specifics on how to coach I would start doubting his abilities.

I find this line of thinking a little odd. He's Tiger's coach, so he's expected to be the premier source of information on everything? Pros consult each other all the time, as do instructors. Most people who seek knowledge have the understanding that they don't know everything and are open to learning from others .

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Totally agree. I don't know if Trevino is suppose to be some short game guru, but I'll like to think there are a bunch of other well established short game teachers out there that Chris could contact.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

He asked for the advice, but did he take it after listening?

That is what will matter.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

He asked for the advice, but did he take it after listening? That is what will matter.

Not if it is bad advice. Or if he ever got advice at all which I still doubt. Maybe Lee got pranked.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

[quote name="newtogolf" url="/t/81185/lee-trevino-says-chris-como-called-him-for-chipping-advice#post_1123699"]Sad that Trevino felt the need to tell people that Como called him.  I like Lee, but I'm growing tired of all the guys that are trying to remain relevant by jumping on Tigers back.

Totally agree. I don't know if Trevino is suppose to be some short game guru, but I'll like to think there are a bunch of other well established short game teachers out there that Chris could contact.[/quote]Yep. I would think Stan Utley would be a good choice for chipping and pitching specifics. Or any of Erik, Dave or Mike for that matter.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Not if it is bad advice.

Or if he ever got advice at all which I still doubt. Maybe Lee got pranked.

Agreed; and

Anything is possible.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

A little consultation with others is not a bad thing. It does not matter if it's golf, or tiddly winks. When I first read the title, I had to do a delayed recollection as to who Como was. Trevino is one of the old guys of golf. He has a lot of knowledge, and someone ask him to share some of that knowledge with them. Not a big deal. This is not the first time Trevino has talked about Woody's current issues. If the knowledge shared to Como helps to get his client out of trouble, then it's a good thing.

As for Como, or Trevino keeping their conversation a secret, this is today's golf where drama, and other off the course actions puts the media in a frenzy. Trevino was at a Luncheon, as a speaker. He spoke about a current golf topic that is some what important. Again, no big deal.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 3299 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!