IGNORED

Things that prove you are a fan of golf vs. things that prove you are not a fan of golf!

Abu3baid
Note: This thread is 3311 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I practice it, I play it, I watch it, I promote it, I support it. I'm pretty sure that I am a fan.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I watch, play, practice too, so I guess that makes me a fan. Addict would be more appropriate. I'd be an even bigger fan it it wasn't so expensive to play different courses. Equipment costs aren't bad but the actual course charges at some courses are crazy. 3 hours to play 18 holes when you are walking works out to a pretty high hourly rate on a lot of courses. I have talked to a lot of people who quit playing and/or don't want to start because of the cost, especially retirees. I guess that means courses should be less congested in the future but costs will increase.

Because the grandkids think grandpa watches and plays too much golf ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I practice it, I play it, I watch it, I promote it, I support it. I'm pretty sure that I am a fan.

I noticed "promotion" was listed a couple of times in this thread. Are you in the golf business? Why is promoting golf - getting others to play the game - so important?

I noticed "promotion" was listed a couple of times in this thread. Are you in the golf business? Why is promoting golf - getting others to play the game - so important?

Because the sport needs an influx of new people coming in to sustain and grow it. Courses are closing and playing is down. If those who play don't promote it, it's going to get worse in the future.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Because the sport needs an influx of new people coming in to sustain and grow it. Courses are closing and playing is down. If those who play don't promote it, it's going to get worse in the future.

seems to me that courses are pricing themselves out the market and that play is too slow to suit new golfers......modern day drivers are $400+ and updated every six months making your equipment archaic.....I'm not sure what one can do to fix these issues - and this is a topic for another thread..... .me? I tell people not to play because it takes a lot of practice to stay good, costs a lot to play, and play often is as slow as molasses.....taking time away from loved ones........this all being said, maybe I'm not a fan of the game anymore.

seems to me that courses are pricing themselves out the market and that play is too slow to suit new golfers......modern day drivers are $400+ and updated every six months making your equipment archaic.....I'm not sure what one can do to fix these issues - and this is a topic for another thread..... .me? I tell people not to play because it takes a lot of practice to stay good, costs a lot to play, and play often is as slow as molasses.....taking time away from loved ones........this all being said, maybe I'm not a fan of the game anymore.

The more people you have playing the game, the better the economics of the system works. That's why everyone should do what they can to help get more people into the game. I'm not saying golfers need to become proselytizers, but every little bit helps. That's why I thought the Create A Golfer thread this site had was fantastic. It's the right spirit.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Truth is no one needs to buy a driver or equipment every 6 months.. But you stated some good reasons as to why you are not a golf fan! A lot of people would agree! Hating slow play and taking time away from family are legitimate reasons for sure.. I try to mostly go play early in the morning of weekend when I know I will be back and the kids will likely still be sleeping! That's my way of getting around that feeling.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

seems to me that courses are pricing themselves out the market and that play is too slow to suit new golfers......modern day drivers are $400+ and updated every six months making your equipment archaic.....I'm not sure what one can do to fix these issues - and this is a topic for another thread......me? I tell people not to play because it takes a lot of practice to stay good, costs a lot to play, and play often is as slow as molasses.....taking time away from loved ones........this all being said, maybe I'm not a fan of the game anymore.

If this accurately summarizes your attitude towards golf I'd agree you're definitely not a fan.  I think golf like any hobby can take up as much time and expense as you wish to allocate towards it.  I'd argue it's not nearly as bad as you portray to people, but I doubt it would change your mind so I won't bother.

Joe Paradiso

I watch it when I can and play as often as possible. I even had the Masters streaming while I was at work. I'd say I'm a fan.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

My wife has set the rule at least five times that there's no more practicing your swing in the house. The fact that she'll need a sixth proves I'm a golf fan. ;-)

Just want to see where this one goes:

You know you're a golf fan when during sex you yell out "It's in the hole!"

My name is Scott C.  I am addicted to golf.  When's our tee time?

My name is Nagah and I'm a sex addict. Sh.t wrong forum sorry !

Remember its just a game.....more serious than life and death.

If this accurately summarizes your attitude towards golf I'd agree you're definitely not a fan.  I think golf like any hobby can take up as much time and expense as you wish to allocate towards it.  I'd argue it's not nearly as bad as you portray to people, but I doubt it would change your mind so I won't bother.

A lot of what I posted is what I've heard from people who've quit golf, or played it for a short while and gone to other sports.

• Administrator
A lot of what I posted is what I've heard from people who've quit golf, or played it for a short while and gone to other sports.

Golf is hard and reasonably expensive (startup costs never mind regular playing), but nobody needs a new driver every six months. I see plenty of people using drivers five, seven, even ten years old.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Golf clubs, specifically drivers, are marketed by the golf industry to make golfers feel that they're  at a disadvantage if you don't keep up with the latest technology. And it seems that the big companies are updating at least every year.

Golf clubs, specifically drivers, are marketed by the golf industry to make golfers feel that they're  at a disadvantage if you don't keep up with the latest technology. And it seems that the big companies are updating at least every year.

Most people aren't naive enough to fall for every single marketing gimmick, but this is veering :offtopic:

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 3311 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!