IGNORED

ESPN anchor rant on golf telecasts - probably echoes what most of us have been thinking

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3295 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Instead of swing commentary while playing slow motion swings, post the TM/FS/Swing Catalyst numbers and talk about those or if the live numbers aren't available, post typical historical numbers. This way, there's less chance of confusing swing instruction.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Instead of swing commentary while playing slow motion swings, post the TM/FS/Swing Catalyst numbers and talk about those or if the live numbers aren't available, post typical historical numbers. This way, there's less chance of confusing swing instruction.

Don't they do that on the Web.com tour? Wait, maybe it's the Golf Channel spot coverage. One of the two does it, and it's actually really cool to watch.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

1 - shot tracer - like it a lot

--- (ditto when they show the putting line graphic - much more than some announcer stating his impression of the line)

2 - swing technique commentary - don't like it one bit - and they say some dumb stuff sometimes anyway

3 - microphones pointed at the players and caddies - like it a lot

4 - too much putting - agree - especially if they start using shot tracer a lot more

I like the graphics of how the Euro tour shows a hole and shot layout

I like how the Euro tour doesn't have to be talking ALL THE TIME - I'd prefer to hear the players and caddies talk the shots through

I'd rather follow the leaders on each shot through a round, and cutting to exceptional shots by other players when they happen

I enjoy the Euro Tour coverage.......slow, and can be dull, but I watched it for nearly two decades and it was a good way to kill a weekend on the couch. I like that they give the leaders shot-by-shot coverage.   I like hearing the caddies and players talk as long was they can keep the "f-bombs" out of my livingroom........

I enjoy the Euro Tour coverage.......slow, and can be dull, but I watched it for nearly two decades and it was a good way to kill a weekend on the couch. I like that they give the leaders shot-by-shot coverage.   I like hearing the caddies and players talk as long was they can keep the "f-bombs" out of my livingroom........

Lol, points for your perseverance. Although, last year in 2 consecutive weeks I heard Poults call his ball "you bitch!" Was pretty funny actually. Still haven't heard the grandaddy of em all "GDFP", like ol Tigs said at the 2000 US Open I believe. Wow. But, as I've said, I've been known to throw an F-bomb here and there, typically when I repeat a mistake for the 3rd or more time in a round. So, while I don't love to hear it, can't say it's something that's bothered me much.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Also, a small nit-pick with the OP (the quote, not the actual OP :D): you can watch every Marshawn Lynch carry because… it's the only thing going on at the time. The same time Tiger is hitting a tee shot on a par five or tapping in for bogey somewhere, 13 other players on the course are hitting a shot or very nearly hitting a shot or reacting to a shot they just hit. You can watch every Patrick Kane shift for the same reason: there's only one sheet of ice. When he's playing, he's on it with everyone else. He's not 1734 yards away being unaffected by the players hitting shots on the other places on the course.

To add to this, I would like the NFL and some of the college football telecasts could do better in my opinion. They are not perfect, I would like them to shoot with a wider angle so that I can see more of the game. The ball is hiked and I have no idea the routes that are being run, the defensive schemes that are being employed. Some of the college stadiums allow for wider angles and the came is much better to watch.

Point being that how the NFL televises the game is not perfect or meets what everyone wants.

Michael

Shot tracer is nice....but I think if were on almost every shot, it would be liked the failed NHL puck tracer deal. Personally, I like to see the swing, then the close up of the players facial expression and hear them talk to their ball. I can usually tell a lot about where the ball is going based on these things...but that's just me. They can always show a replay of the shot with shot tracer.

That was actually something I thought of recently as well - the comparison with FOX's silly puck tracer experiment.  However, there is one enormous difference between the two:  The puck is visible to the naked eye of anybody with a cursory knowledge of hockey the vast majority of the time.  And when it's not totally visible (near side boards) it's location is still quite easily determined.

Whereas, a golf shot is almost always completely invisible in the air from the camera behind the golfer once it's more than a few feet away.  I agree that there is some virtue in staying in the moment and watching player reactions, fan reactions, and stuff like that, but I'd rather be able to see the ball route myself and have my own reaction.

Also, a small nit-pick with the OP (the quote, not the actual OP :D): you can watch every Marshawn Lynch carry because… it's the only thing going on at the time. The same time Tiger is hitting a tee shot on a par five or tapping in for bogey somewhere, 13 other players on the course are hitting a shot or very nearly hitting a shot or reacting to a shot they just hit. You can watch every Patrick Kane shift for the same reason: there's only one sheet of ice. When he's playing, he's on it with everyone else. He's not 1734 yards away being unaffected by the players hitting shots on the other places on the course.

And a small nit-pick with your nit-pick. ;)  They have no trouble showing two shots that occur at the same time.  They show a shot, you hear a crowd cheer elsewhere, and then Feherty says "well, you heard the roar, here's why" and they show that shot immediately following.  I agree that I'd rather see a leader doing something than Tiger at the back of the pack doing something, but they could cut down A LOT on the segments of Nantz and Faldo on camera, pare down the segments that include puff pieces, after round or before round interviews (Hint: he is going to try [or just did try] to play his best.) and show more golf.

The reason that the US Open and the British Open are more interesting majors to me than The Masters is because, at this point, the amount of TV coverage The Masters offers borders on insulting. It's not 1982 anymore. We have 3 channels available (CBS, CBS Sports, Golf Channel) and Masters.com that are just begging for more coverage and all we get is 4 hours? It's nuts that I couldn't see most of Tiger's round on Friday and significant portions on Saturday. The British and The US Opens show nearly wall to wall coverage of every round and it's amazing. People want to watch it. I get up at 5AM to watch the British. For the same reason that March Madness is such a huge deal, people want to watch the actual tournaments. It sucks that WGCs have longer TV windows than The Masters. I have my iPad and iPhone in front of me whenever I'm watching TV. I'm happy to use it to supplement the TV coverage. I stand with Bucci on all of his points.

The Masters like the limited coverage because they don't need the money and it keeps the Augusta aura and mystery in tact.  They also like the feeling of exclusivity and prestige they have by not showing every hole or every shot.  I agree it's ridiculous that you can't watch every hole or every shot of certain rounds on certain days, but that isn't going to change any time soon and the powers at Augusta are happy with that.

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

The Masters like the limited coverage because they don't need the money and it keeps the Augusta aura and mystery in tact.  They also like the feeling of exclusivity and prestige they have by not showing every hole or every shot.  I agree it's ridiculous that you can't watch every hole or every shot of certain rounds on certain days, but that isn't going to change any time soon and the powers at Augusta are happy with that.

This was talked about in the Masters thread.  This isn't really true anymore.  They come on air on Saturday 5 minutes after the leaders tee off, so the only thing you don't see live is the leaders tee shots, (and probably approach shots) on the first hole.  After that, they do show every shot of the leaders.  And on Sunday, they come on air 55 minutes before the leaders tee off and show their every shot.

The mystery that they used to have regarding the rest of the course besides the last 8 holes is long gone.  We all know very well what the entire course looks like.  I've played the course many, many times on video games.  That would have been unheard of back when they were so worried and self conscious of their whole-course image.  Heck, they spend a lot of time showing the range as well.

The aura, however, is still there, IMO.

• Upvote 1

they (Augusta National) is being more generous nowadays.....not too long ago it was a rarity to see the first five hole because CBS would start coverage as the leaders hit the fairways of #5......you pretty much get to see each and every hole now and with the internet coverage you can O.D. on watching The Masters.What's the deal with that?

I totally understand their reasons. I also don't care about their reasons. In the end, as the consumer, I get a worse viewing experience, and I think it sucks. (So that THAT, Augusta! That'll show 'em).

This was talked about in the Masters thread.  This isn't really true anymore.  They come on air on Saturday 5 minutes after the leaders tee off, so the only thing you don't see live is the leaders tee shots, (and probably approach shots) on the first hole.  After that, they do show every shot of the leaders.  And on Sunday, they come on air 55 minutes before the leaders tee off and show their every shot.

The mystery that they used to have regarding the rest of the course besides the last 8 holes is long gone.  We all know very well what the entire course looks like.  I've played the course many, many times on video games.  That would have been unheard of back when they were so worried and self conscious of their whole-course image.  Heck, they spend a lot of time showing the range as well.

The aura, however, is still there, IMO.

Yeah, there's no mystery. At this point, it's just their being stubborn. It's a tiny field; air the whole thing. Even the featured groups online don't air until they're almost on TV. I just don't get it. I and thousands (millions?) of others got up at 5 AM to watch the British Open. Pretty sure we'd do the same for The Masters.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Also kind of getting tired of the over-evaluation of swing technique.  I know this sport has a lot of people who watch to get better in their game - but we don't need constant reminders on how one should swing the club back and how we should finish our swing. What other sport presents so much technical detail?

I'd love to show Kostis (or Miller or Faldo) a pro's swing and have him tell us whether the guy missed left, right, or hit it pure.  I bet neither he, nor anyone else, could reliably do it.  They know what the shot did, and then act like they can identify the flaw that caused the miss.  Horsecrap.

To add to this, I would like the NFL and some of the college football telecasts could do better in my opinion. They are not perfect, I would like them to shoot with a wider angle so that I can see more of the game. The ball is hiked and I have no idea the routes that are being run, the defensive schemes that are being employed. Some of the college stadiums allow for wider angles and the came is much better to watch.

Point being that how the NFL televises the game is not perfect or meets what everyone wants.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I totally understand their reasons. I also don't care about their reasons. In the end, as the consumer, I get a worse viewing experience, and I think it sucks. (So that THAT, Augusta! That'll show 'em). Yeah, there's no mystery. At this point, it's just their being stubborn. It's a tiny field; air the whole thing. Even the featured groups online don't air until they're almost on TV. I just don't get it. I and thousands (millions?) of others got up at 5 AM to watch the British Open. Pretty sure we'd do the same for The Masters.

Adykol, I think you are kind of missing the point, it's the masters presentation, they decide, they control, it's their production, and it's their interpretation of how golfs championship legacy carries on. It's extremely well run and the presentation is great the way it is I.e. No endless omega Rory watch commercials. The other majors you mentioned are events, they sell advertising, they want viewership.......see the difference.

• Upvote 1

Adykol, I think you are kind of missing the point, it's the masters presentation, they decide, they control, it's their production, and it's their interpretation of how golfs championship legacy carries on. It's extremely well run and the presentation is great the way it is I.e. No endless omega Rory watch commercials. The other majors you mentioned are events, they sell advertising, they want viewership.......see the difference.

I think you're missing the point. I understand all of that. What I'm saying is that there's no reason for them to do it besides "Just because." It's frustrating to the consumer and for the big deal they make about honoring patrons and all that, in 2015 it's obnoxious to the viewers at home. They don't have to change anything except extend the coverage window to a corresponding length. You'll still be quite Omega commercial-free.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

They have no problem selling badges or TV coverage to CBS.   The Masters is among the best sports TV productions next to events like the Super Bowl, Daytona 500, the Final 4, and MLB World Series.  Its the telecast that I'd guess more non-golfers tune into than any other golf tournament on the schedule.  I don't think they're worried about viewership right now.

As mentioned before, golf isn't football or hockey. Perhaps more like NASCAR, which offers multiple individual views at a time.

I wouldn't watch my golf in a 8x view, but the technical precedent is there.

I think Bucci's point was the overall lack of Masters on TV, period. I agree with this because I cannot get enough Major or Ryder Cup action on those weekends. Four hours per day over the weekend is lame.

Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir, and I never slice.   

(Tongue in cheek mode on)

What?   You guys will watch the entire 4 rounds, every hole?   Just like basketball, all you need to watch is the last few holes + sudden death play off (if there is one).   Golf is a slower and longer game to watch than baseball.   You want to watch that for 4 straight days, 10 hours a day?  I really prefer to watch Simpsons rerun for 24 x 7.

I agree that there should be a lot more shot traces, and less on putting.

As is, PGA tour coverage is a 100 times better than that of LPGA.  Don't get me started on that.  Oops, too late.  Many a times, I have to mute the TV sound.   Talks/interviews + ad > actual golf shown.    Some are not on live.   If round runs longer than their program slot, they are not likely extend their coverage even if there is a playoff.   And it's hard to believe most of the good commentators and hosts are from Australia, and UK.  Nothing against that but that funny Australian accent distracts me from watching the golf.  Say, Stacy on eight (sty cee on aieet) in thick Australian accent 3 times fast.  My wife and I burst out laughing when we first heard that. :-P That concludes my rant LPGA TV coverage.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3295 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!