IGNORED

Texas Wedge

jsgolfer
Note: This thread is 3214 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveP043

Take a look below, and tell me how you're going to get close to this pin.

I'd be putting that with a 3H.  Chipping/pitching from a tight lie like that (and a downhill lie to boot) leaves a good chance of hitting it thin, and I don't have the confidence that I could stop a chip/pitch close to the pin.  It's virtually 100% certainty that I could get it closer with a putt.  IMO there's not only one good answer, though - it comes down to what part of one's game they're more confident in.

Bump and run for me.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There are a lot of golfers that don't get out and onto the green from green side bunkers the majority of the time. Some should take note.

Yeah.  I can understand that some people just won't do it because they think it looks bad, but I do not get the guys who are claiming that it is a silly or outlandish.

Same with the 20-30 yard putt from the fairway.  Don't these guys ever watch a British Open??

Lowest Score Wins, not prettiest path to the hole.

And if people allow their choice of shots to be influenced by what their playing companions are going to say, they really need to buck up their self-esteem and play the shot they think is the best choice, not the one that is "acceptable" to their group.

• Upvote 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I'll putt when the risk of using a wedge is greater.  If I can roll it up to the hole I'd rather do that than risk thinning the ball over the green or into a bunker.

Joe Paradiso

I will putt from off the green if examination of my ball's path doesn't reveal anything that I believe will affect the ball's path or be a guess on power or whatever.  Read: No goose crap, bare spots with uneven edges, etc...  If any of that is "in the way", I will chip, pitch, b&r;, to get me there.

Of course, like most situations, there will be modifiers depending on extenuating circumstances,

Regards,

Mark

Currently in the bag

Driver: TaylorMade SLDR S 10* --- Fairway: Cobra BioCell 3 and 5 Metal --- Hybrid: Nike VR 3 Hybrid
Irons: Ping i20 (4-5) , S56 (6-PW) --- Wedges: Ping Tour Gorge 52* & 56* SS --- Putter: Nike Method 004 --- Ball: Nike 20 Xi

I'm starting to love this shot from the rough at the bottom of a steep face to an elevated green. Ball back in the stance & play like a chip (a touch more 'hit' in the shot) with a slightly descending blow. Ball bounces into the ground & rolls forward. It's much more reliable to get up on top without going far by and much easier to do than chipping or lobbing up the bank.

Kevin

Good example scenario, I'd like to think I would putt that but I probably wouldn't. Depends how close, but if I was near the camera I would probably look at that as 3 shots anyway so might chance my arm with 64 open faced (if playing on my own or who I'm playing against is on green in regulation to their HCP) :-D Common sense to me says use a hybrid chip/ bump n run into the face and try and pop it or run it up. I'm guaranteed 3 putt from there.

Chris 

Ex-field hockey player with a few things on my list to correct/ sort out:
1:  Flipping, 2: Overswing, 3: Stop being Tin Cup

Been playing properly since May 2014, got the bug now, so I'm here forever. Must have watched a billion hours of youtube videos, seems to help!

Yes.  Point being that it is silly to call a shot silly when the best players in the world will do it under the right circumstances.  Just because a shot can only be played when the circumstances allow it doesn't make it a silly shot.

Yeah because I was obviously talking about conditions on golf courses on the other side of the planet.

I played this course in Orlando, Dubsdread and it had one hole where the fairway was mowed really tight near the green.  I was about 30 yards from the pin so I tried putting.  It worked pretty well and I got to about 10 feet.  There were a couple of side ridges I had to go over.  If I did 20 putts and 20 chips from the same spot, I bet my putting would average closer.

This will come in handy if I ever get to play in Scotland.

I was playing one of the courses at Rockleigh in NJ, and same deal -- really short grass apron leading to the green.  I was about 15 yards away and even slightly uphill.  This was early in my golf life before I had even a semi-decent short game, so I decided to putt up to the green.  Well I'll be damned, I sank the putt!

I'll grab the putter whenever I can, why should I risk getting an unfavorable bounce when it is so much easier to control the distance on the ground?

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Anyone see Kaymer make the silly play of putting from 20 yards off the green on the second hole today?

It was so silly it left him with a tap in.

Rich - in name only

Anyone see Kaymer make the silly play of putting from 20 yards off the green on the second hole today? It was so silly it left him with a tap in.

He must have got lucky. Real men don't do that... :)

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Dang, and now Snedeker has gone and done it.

What silly silly shots they play on the PGATour these days.

Rich - in name only

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

Dang, and now Snedeker has gone and done it.

What silly silly shots they play on the PGATour these days.

Your sort of pushing the theme.  We get it that you don't think it's silly.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I used to play with a guy back when I was in the military that putted anytime he was, I would say 20-30 yards from the green if he didn't have to get it in the air.  He was around a 9 handicap at the time.  Anyone else do that?

Normally I chip, but when I do putt, half of the time I use a Dave Pelz technique called "chip putting."  http://www.better-golf-by-putting-better.com/chip-putting.html

A lot of the options for putting from off of the greens have to do with the condition of the course you are playing. During a round of golf with my daughter more than 10 years ago, she was 50 yards short of the first green at Oakmont Country Club, a par 5 for ladies. (Full disclosure, my daughter caddied there for 6 years.)  She took her putter and left herself with a four footer for a tap in birdie. I don't know if you can tell by the picture, but the approach is downhill on a closely mown fairway.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

• 2 months later...

While watching the Open, I remembered this thread from a while ago.  Does anyone think putting from off the green is silly now?

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

While watching the Open, I remembered this thread from a while ago.  Does anyone think putting from off the green is silly now?

LOL

Watch out, you might get scolded.

Rich - in name only

With the way the apron of the greens are right now I'll putt from 10 yds. if it's downhill or level. If it's uphill I'll chip. The ground is so hard and the grass is mowed so low you can't get any kind of spin on the ball to stop it unless you have square grooves in the club and a balata ball. At least around here.

And you can't even count on the cushion of the ground in front of the green on a chip shot. I landed one on Thursday from about 30 yds out right where I wanted where I thought it would die enough to stop on the green, but instead it took a hard bounce, and bounced on the hard green, and ended up on the dike almost on the road. I couldn't have hit it that hard. But even the greens are like rocks. Courses are hardpan with a bit of green on them.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Note: This thread is 3214 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!