IGNORED

2015 The Players Championship DiscussionThread

Rick Martin
Note: This thread is 3262 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You are such full of it. I have heard the golf channel recently, they agree right now as in today, if TW is on his game he is still the best in the world.

and if you want to talk about his prime, please. I am guessing you are young guy who never saw Tiger in his prime. because if you did ,you would know how ridiculous you sound.

Lol, k.

It's not like I haven't watched every...single....video, while sitting at work of Tiger in his prime. (There's endless videos of full rounds out there of Tiger from amateur to now.)

Just because I didn't see it live doesn't mean I haven't seen Tiger in his prime.

But if you want to feel elitist about watching it live, that's cool.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Rory's A game is as good as prime Tiger, IMO. The problem is...Rory's A game has never been anywhere near as consistent as Tiger's.

I would still say Tiger is a step ahead. Tiger is a better clutch putter. He had a much better short game. He averaged 1 stroke better for 18 holes (year 2000), then Rory did last year when he won two majors in a row. There games are close, but Tiger still played the game of golf during that stretch that no one has matched yet.

If Rory's 2014 was put in 2000 I think he steals one of those majors from Tiger in that Tiger Slam.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would still say Tiger is a step ahead. Tiger is a better clutch putter. He had a much better short game. He averaged 1 stroke better for 18 holes (year 2000), then Rory did last year when he won two majors in a row. There games are close, but Tiger still played the game of golf during that stretch that no one has matched yet.

If Rory's 2014 was put in 2000 I think he steals one of those majors from Tiger in that Tiger Slam.

Tiger his average will be better than Rory's as long as Rory doesn't get more consistent. That doens't change what Crim and ChrisP said about when Rory manages to play his A-game. For me it's hard to compare, I didn't see a whole lot of Tiger in his prime. Besides how good he was on his best, to be as consistent as he was is so damn impressive... I don't think Rory will ever match that.

~Jorrit

I would still say Tiger is a step ahead. Tiger is a better clutch putter. He had a much better short game. He averaged 1 stroke better for 18 holes (year 2000), then Rory did last year when he won two majors in a row. There games are close, but Tiger still played the game of golf during that stretch that no one has matched yet. Rory kinda looked like it for a month last year, but I still think Tiger would have beaten him for one of those Majors last year if it was his 2000 self.

Prime Tiger will always be a better putter & short game player than Rory, that's true.

But I trust the pros/commentators when they say that they haven't seen balls hit the way Rory has been hitting since Tiger was in his prime.

Joel Holden

Tiger his average will be better than Rory's as long as Rory doesn't get more consistent. That doens't change what Crim and ChrisP said about when Rory manages to play his A-game. For me it's hard to compare, I didn't see a whole lot of Tiger in his prime. Besides how good he was on his best, to be as consistent as he was is so damn impressive... I don't think Rory will ever match that.

Exactly, Rory will never match Tiger's stroke average (especially over a full year) because he's just not that consistent.

Joel Holden

Rory will never have a performance like Tiger did at Pebble Beach in 2000. No version of Rory would have come close to Tiger that week. In addition to the consistency, Rory is not a great bad-weather golfer. What made Tiger so amazing back in his prime was his consistency (cuts made streak - Rory, or likely anyone else, will never come close to that) and his imperviousness to whatever conditions were out there. I'm not taking anything away from Rory when I say that he hasn't won his majors in bad conditions like Tiger has done. Rory is still a great golfer, but that is what separates Tiger from him. Put them both in their prime (note - we may not have seen Rory's prime yet) with perfect conditions, and I'd say you'd call it a toss up.

Anyways, this is all not really about the Players at all. I don't expect either Tiger or Rory to win this weekend.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Anyways, this is all not really about the Players at all. I don't expect either Tiger or Rory to win this weekend.

Indeed, I forgot what thread we were in. I'm done.

But I'll continue to believe that when Rory's putting and pitching great, his game is right up there w/ the greatest prime of all time. Once again, that's personal opinion of mine and some pros and golf commentators out there.
Alright I'm out!

Joel Holden

I don't think China deserves a major until they start becoming a better world citizen (human rights) - and a lot of other things happen.

Hahaha, talk about Ameri-centric. Have you looked in your own backyard? Lol. Anyways, save this for the grill room.

Back on Topic, TW is in the field, so I'll watch with more interest than I have previous tournaments

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Has anyone thrown in a DraftKings bet for the Players?

I'm pretty confident that I have a decent lineup but just decided to throw a couple entries into the $3 tournament. (1st place gets $10,000)

I'll post my lineup tomorrow when it starts.

Joel Holden

• Administrator

Has anyone thrown in a DraftKings bet for the Players?

I'm pretty confident that I have a decent lineup but just decided to throw a couple entries into the $3 tournament. (1st place gets $10,000)

I'll post my lineup tomorrow when it starts.

I have not, but for the heck of it… who wins?

I'm going to say… Hunter Mahan.

Which means he'll MC.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

Which means he'll MC.

hahahaha.

I'm going to go with Hideki Matsuyama.

I am gonna root for HM.  That should nail it.  He will MC.

I am going to go with my sentimental choice - KJ Choi.   Going with Spieth, Tiger, Rory, Bubba, ...., that's just too easy.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I put a few bucks on Jordan Spieth. Not as much confidence as I had when I bet on him at Augusta or Rory at Hoylake, but how can you not like his form coming in? TPC, though, is a course that seems to not favor a particular player like that of Augusta. At Augusta, you see a lot of the same players up there every year. At TPC, it's always different.

I'm sure you can guess I'm hoping Jordan wins this week. I've got tickets for the Saturday round and I plan to follow him around. Last year his following was nothing compared to what I'm assuming it will be this year.

Eric

In the Bag:

Driver - Cobra Bio Cell+ 9.5°

3 Wood - Titleist 980F 15°

5 Wood - Cobra Speed LD F 17°

Irons - Taylormade TP MC 3-PW

Wedges - 50°/56° Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0

Putter - Odyssey Versa #1 

Now I know what's familiar with the course.  From the sky, the 17th green looks like an uvula:

The lake is figuratively yelling "I eat balls!" :-D

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

The lake is figuratively yelling "I eat balls!"  :-D

Well... that's what that lake is good at.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Now I know what's familiar with the course.  From the sky, the 17th green looks like an uvula:

The lake is figuratively yelling "I eat balls!"

I just watched Kingsman, so that looks like a

head exploding

Or an upside down mushroom cloud. Yes, I'm a nihilist. :-)

I've called it the lima bean hole for the longest time.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Hahaha, talk about Ameri-centric. Have you looked in your own backyard? Lol.

Much better than China and ton of other countries. Anyone who says otherwise is clueless. What an idiotic statement.

----------------------------------------------

Few pictures from my time at TPC Sawgrass yesterday and today......

True story: Morgan Hoffman lost his cell phone "somewhere on the front nine" - fortunately they (volunteer) found it.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 3262 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!