IGNORED

What will you watch more of? Wentworth or Colonial. *VOTE*

Crim
Note: This thread is 3259 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What tournament will you be watching.

• Mainly the BMW Championship (Wentworth)
    • Mainly the Crowne Plaza Invitational (Colonial)
    • A little bit of both

Poults is going off on twitter again

One can see why people love him .... not

My guess is he is getting kicked around for shooting par when everyone else on the leaderboard was shooting under par ... far under par.

I guess he only cares about winning Ryder Cups and is content with T5 finish in a tournament he should've / could've won.  It was lift, clean and place tee to green so he can't blame the weather or the course for his poor play, especially those pull hooks off the tee.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Youngest-ever US Am winner shoots lowest-ever score around Wentworth and no one gives a toss? We are getting a bit spoiled for choice of young prodigies these days!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Youngest-ever US Am winner shoots lowest-ever score around Wentworth and no one gives a toss? We are getting a bit spoiled for choice of young prodigies these days!

I think him being from South Korea has a bit to do with it, the Asian guys and gals just aren't talked about very much. Plus we're used to Asian males with a bit of hype that don't end up living up to it. Danny Lee comes to mind...granted...he's still just 24 year old.

The golf channel was kind to Byeong-hun though, they did a major segment on him after he won at Wentworth.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Didn't watch much of either. Watched Senior PGA.

not much to watch there - Mrs Doubtfire winning easily.....didn get a kick out of seeing the pros (Lehman for instance) hacking it out of the weeds with an occasional hosel-rocket....unusual but interesting looking Pete Dye course they were playing there.

my fear is that soon the major men's tours will be filled with a lot of unknown Asian players winning everything similar to the current LPGA tour.......just a matter of time- I really think this has negatively affected that tour. (Tennis has the same problem - no one knows or identifies with most of the players).

They can always just do what the Ivy League does and assess the Asians a few penalty shots before they tee off to maintain "diversity" on the tour. ;-)

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

my fear is that soon the major men's tours will be filled with a lot of unknown Asian players winning everything similar to the current LPGA tour.......just a matter of time- I really think this has negatively affected that tour. (Tennis has the same problem - no one knows or identifies with most of the players).

Why am I not surprised that that's one of your fears. What's next, they start moving into your neighbourhood? :bugout:

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I agree it has hurt the LPGA Tour a lot. I don't even watch women's golf anymore unless there's a good looking woman on my tv. But I don't see that happening to the men. Too global a game, much moreso than the women. Plus the men's game relies more on power, and this is an area where the Asians have struggled with.

Why am I not surprised that that's one of your fears. What's next, they start moving into your neighbourhood?

It came off poorly but the overall sentiment isn't far from the mark.  If Rory was from the United States he'd have larger galleries and even more press coverage than gets today.  An aging, broken down Tiger still draws bigger crowds and media coverage than Rory who's the #1 player in the world.

Kevin Na is a very good golfer but there's more said about his quirkiness and slow play than about his golfing ability.  If people from the US won't embrace Rory, it's unlikely the Asian players will gain much of a fan base here and that will hurt the PGA Tour ratings.

Joe Paradiso

It came off poorly but the overall sentiment isn't far from the mark.  If Rory was from the United States he'd have larger galleries and even more press coverage than gets today.  An aging, broken down Tiger still draws bigger crowds and media coverage than Rory who's the #1 player in the world.  Kevin Na is a very good golfer but there's more said about his quirkiness and slow play than about his golfing ability.  If people from the US won't embrace Rory, it's unlikely the Asian players will gain much of a fan base here and that will hurt the PGA Tour ratings.

I admit that I don't know much about how TV ratings are evaluated or determined but is a U.S. television set rated higher than one in Korea or Japan? Seems to me that there are a helluva lot more "others" than there are Americans so perhaps the PGA Tour would actually benefit from that market. In the U.S. (and Canada) soccer is considered very much a niche sport, although that is changing, but in the rest of the world very few people give a rat's ass about American Football and soccer reigns supreme.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I admit that I don't know much about how TV ratings are evaluated or determined but is a U.S. television set rated higher than one in Korea or Japan? Seems to me that there are a helluva lot more "others" than there are Americans so perhaps the PGA Tour would actually benefit from that market.

In the U.S. (and Canada) soccer is considered very much a niche sport, although that is changing, but in the rest of the world very few people give a rat's ass about American Football and soccer reigns supreme.

I agree 100% if you're talking about a world market then Asian golfers and soccer have much greater appeal than American golfers and football.  For whatever reason the PGA Tour is deemed the most competitive tour with the highest tournament prize money overall and since it's based in the U.S, it mostly depends on US viewers and fans.

At some point maybe the PGA Tour becomes a Global Tour and the European, Australian, Asian Tours become the feeder Tours for PGA Tour like the Web.com tour does today.

Joe Paradiso

It came off poorly but the overall sentiment isn't far from the mark.  If Rory was from the United States he'd have larger galleries and even more press coverage than gets today.  An aging, broken down Tiger still draws bigger crowds and media coverage than Rory who's the #1 player in the world.

Kevin Na is a very good golfer but there's more said about his quirkiness and slow play than about his golfing ability.  If people from the US won't embrace Rory, it's unlikely the Asian players will gain much of a fan base here and that will hurt the PGA Tour ratings.

I disagree with the people in the US not embracing Rory. His social media is constantly filled with cheering Americans and his galleries are big, no where near Tiger big, but everyone has to remember we have to stop comparing Tiger to these youngins. Tiger is an enigma. Just because Rory doesn't have Tiger-like numbers doesn't mean he isn't embraced. Remember, most Americans love the Irish. Asians though? We just have a rough time connecting with their culture.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

In the U.S. (and Canada) soccer is considered very much a niche sport, although that is changing, but in the rest of the world very few people give a rat's ass about American Football and soccer reigns supreme.

I've had this discussion a lot during the World Cup. Soccer will never be a big sport in the US because the game's best players are from other countries and they play in other countries. We have the MLS in the US which you could argue stands for Minor League Soccer. If you brought the Premier League over to the US and the world's best players played in an organized league in our country, the interest in the game would go up a lot. If the world's best players were also from the US, the game in this country would boom to the levels of football.

I've been making the point for a while and firmly believe that if Rory was an American, he'd be marketed so much more by the likes of ESPN and others. Jordan Spieth has one major championship and five worldwide wins compared to Rory's 4 majors and 25 worldwide wins and he's garnering nearly as much attention as Rory. That speaks volumes. Now I do think if Rory keeps winning majors and gets to 8 or 9, the interest will definitely pick up a lot, especially in major championships because people want to see if Jack's record will get broken. Right now, that's the most cherished record in golf. Even non-golf fans know the number "18".

Turned out that I watched about the same amount of both of them: the last 5 minutes of Wentworth coverage, waited for Golf Central to come on, wondered why Martin Hall's show was on instead, realized the Colonial was still on, and I turned it on right as Kirk was getting ready to putt on 18.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Even non-golf fans know the number "18".

I dunno about that, I kind of doubt that a non-golf fan would be able to tell you how many Majors Jack has won, or even Tiger for that matter.  If I were to ask a non-hockey fan who has won the most cups, I'm sure a fairly decent amount would know it's the Montréal Canadiens, but ask them how many, not likely to know the number, even in Montréal.

I'd even go as far as to say that most non-golf fans would assume that Tiger has won more majors.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

• Administrator
I dunno about that, I kind of doubt that a non-golf fan would be able to tell you how many Majors Jack has won, or even Tiger for that matter.  If I were to ask a non-hockey fan who has won the most cups, I'm sure a fairly decent amount would know it's the Montréal Canadiens, but ask them how many, not likely to know the number, even in Montréal.

In the U.S. I doubt they could even name four teams, let alone who has won the most Stanley Cups. Your Canadian-ness is affecting your judgment again. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

In the U.S. I doubt they could even name four teams, let alone who has won the most Stanley Cups. Your Canadian-ness is affecting your judgment again. :)

Ha. True enough. So replace non-hockey fan with non-NFL fan and replace Canadiens with whoever the hell has won most of those Super Bowl thingamabobs. :-$

Yours in earnest, Jason.

• Administrator

Ha. True enough. So replace non-hockey fan with non-NFL fan and replace Canadiens with whoever the hell has won most of those Super Bowl thingamabobs.

Well, then I know the answer to that one, so obviously everyone else must too! :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3259 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!