IGNORED

How to "Flight" Your Wedges and Short Irons

mvmac
Note: This thread is 1310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Despite having read this thread around the time it was posted, I haven't tried this until recently, as in the past month or so. Once I got the distances down, I started hitting way more greens and I'm and putting up a lot more scores in the low 80s. Still have yet to break my personal best of a +9 79 in terms of total strokes, but I did break it in terms of strokes over par a couple weeks ago (+8 80) and that felt pretty good. Hitting an 8-iron from 130 out is so much easier than hitting a full-swing pitching wedge. I'm still dogshit at putting, but that's a conversation for a different thread.

Edited by Grndslmhttr3

-Rich

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2016 at 9:03 PM, RFKFREAK said:

How many things am I doing incorrect here?

Just overall, it looks stiff and limited. I know it's a pitch, so it is limited by design, but it looks like you're trying too hard to rein it in instead of simply backing off on it (but staying confident)0. What's been working better for me is to do everything the same for a pitch as with my full swing, just, less. Less forceful takeback, less weight transfer, torso rotation, etc, but keep it as fluid as your normal swing. Making the pitch motion choppier only takes away from all the good mechanics you learn in your full swing. Just a 30-capper's $0.02.

• Upvote 1

I didn't see this thread when it was started but taught myself to do this a few years ago. I agree with all points or the original post. Easy to create lag with a smooth swing and excellent accuracy.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• 3 weeks later...

Been playing less because wife is working more but I got out today and go to the range about 1 and a half hours early and worked on this and loved my flights with the 7iron on up to pw and decided to put it in play since my irons have been poor since I've been playing less. I hit 6/9 greens which is really great for me and I hit all my approach shots with a flighted swing and shot a 40 for 9. It just controls the ball so well and tons of spin which helps hold a lot of back pins. I don't know if I'll go back to full iron swings from 7 iron on up. So happy with my performance. My lack of playing showed in my putting though, missed a ton of 5 footers and missed all 6 birdie putts I had which was frustrating 

Basically every wedge/short iron shot Patrick Reed hit last week had that "flighted" followthrough look to it.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I can relate to this from a slightly different perspective. In back yard practice, I have a tee station about 45 feet from a cage set up. Because of the short distance, I can only take short swings. I have to limit my back swing as well as my follow through to ensure I do not "fly" the cage. One benefit is, that I can really work on accuracy and feel with various clubs, all the way from LW to 3 Irons and even hybrids or fairwood tee'd up.  I also have an alignment rod set up 10 feet in front of me and I practice going right and left of it in alternating shots.  I think that Andrew Rice highlighted this recently on a video.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• 2 months later...
On 6/30/2015 at 2:22 PM, mvmac said:

Yeah that's the worst thing you can do. Make a conscious effort to shorten the backswing.

@mvmac I realize this is an older section of the thread but I think this is something I do. The "clock" system or conscious effort to shorten my backswing gets me all out of whack. I have to do it by feel in the moment. I wouldnt say I have it dialed but Im hoping just plain experience helps with this. I set cones at various yardages and practice this alot. I wish I had one of those swing caddie devices that call out yardages to hit, that would be cool. Trying to make a short backswing to a spot or number on a clock causes every downswing problem I can have. SYNC, DECELERATION, ETC. Time served is the solution I reckon.

My Bag (Callaway ORG 14 )
Callaway Apex CF16's 4-AW
Callaway MD3's 54deg---58deg   W-grind
Callaway 3-hybrid
Callaway XR16 10.5 driver and 3-wood
Odyssey Metal X Milled #6 putter
Chrome Soft ball

6 hours ago, Strat-Pack Rick said:

@mvmac I realize this is an older section of the thread but I think this is something I do. The "clock" system or conscious effort to shorten my backswing gets me all out of whack. I have to do it by feel in the moment. I wouldnt say I have it dialed but Im hoping just plain experience helps with this. I set cones at various yardages and practice this alot. I wish I had one of those swing caddie devices that call out yardages to hit, that would be cool. Trying to make a short backswing to a spot or number on a clock causes every downswing problem I can have. SYNC, DECELERATION, ETC. Time served is the solution I reckon.

Then there is something else at play with your sequencing or how you load the club going back.

Mike McLoughlin

13 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Then there is something else at play with your sequencing or how you load the club going back.

@mvmac For sure ! Anything less than the 3/4 "feel" i have gets a little sketchy. Getting better but feeling it is the only way i ever do well. Saying im going to stop at 9 oclock on the way back is a struggle.

My Bag (Callaway ORG 14 )
Callaway Apex CF16's 4-AW
Callaway MD3's 54deg---58deg   W-grind
Callaway 3-hybrid
Callaway XR16 10.5 driver and 3-wood
Odyssey Metal X Milled #6 putter
Chrome Soft ball

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished reading this thread.  A lot of great info, thanks everyone.  I am going to start working on these shots immediately.   I think flighting my wedges will help me immensely in an area I have trouble with.  How do these shots work on wetter days/courses?  Living in the PNW I play a good amount of wet golf.

Casey

7 hours ago, Casey 5-Strokes said:

How do these shots work on wetter days/courses? 

The technique/mechanics would stay the same.

Mike McLoughlin

Been definitely working on these flighted shots a little more in my game. I am realizing how much more confident i am in swinging the clubs 3/4 as opposed to full. Really has helped my game a lot. 

thanks for the swing thought.

• Upvote 1

"Swing with a Purpose" 

What's In The Bag:
Woods: Driver: RBZ stage 2 10* 3 wood: RBZ 15* 5 wood: NIke vapor speed 19*
Irons/ wedges: Rbladez tour 4-PW; Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 56*, CG11 60*
Putter: Odyssey White ice #9

Trying to learn how to flight the ball at the end of 2015 is what sent me on a death spiral of shanks that I didn't recover from fully until this fall. I can mostly do it now, but I need to gap test those shots on a launch monitor because I can't get an accurate set of numbers on a grass range for how much less I carry vs. how much more roll out I get.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

• 2 weeks later...

So... I've used this during my past two rounds and love it. The first time convinced me enough to spend the next day's lunch hour at the driving range working on distances for each club. I can see why this is the go-to shot under ~160 yards (more like 140 for me, doesn't work as well past that (yet)). A full, high sand-wedge is one of my favorite shots in golf... but I probably won't hit many them from now on. 

On 12/10/2016 at 4:58 PM, Strat-Pack Rick said:

@mvmac For sure ! Anything less than the 3/4 "feel" i have gets a little sketchy. Getting better but feeling it is the only way i ever do well. Saying im going to stop at 9 oclock on the way back is a struggle.

I feel your pain. I find I have a tendency to just move my arms and/or start swaying back if I focus too much on hitting positions. I've been using 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4 "feels". Through practice, I happen to know that on a typical day, my 3/4 feel = 10:30, 1/2 = 9:30, 1/4 = about 7:55 (:ninja:). That's just me stopping the swing during practice to check. On video it probably looks different but hopefully that doesn't matter.

Once I know my yardage, I use those positions as a starting point to get my "feel" for that shot. If I'm at 100 or less, feel plays a bigger component as I look at the target, test the backswing length, and try to "confirm" the backwing position (in my head). Outside of 100, I don't think I do that as much.

When I take the shot, I rely on the feel from my setup routine for the backswing length and just focus on making a good turn.

As I said above, it's working really well for me, so far. YMMV. :-D

Edited by roamin

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

wedges and scoring irons i try and swing them the same. one way u can do too get the feel of it. take half swing and turn ur hips and body and the let the arms follow thru and u will hit the ball clean every time. if ur trying to fly them high place the ball lil further towards the target and that will help you get more underneath the ball. if you want mod center or lil back in your stance and for low shots place the ball further back of your stance. make sure you catch the ball first and then the ground. and if your wanting to spin the ball. i would try and make sure your hitting the ball low on the face so it can have more time running up the face of the club to catch more of the grooves. but make sure ur your hitting the ball clean first and with the impact of the face needs to jus like how your at address and not closed or wide open. try and not dig or come too steep at the down swing. do the same with your scoring irons and you should be able to make ur balls stick on the greens very nicely without any or a ton of run out 

WITB:
Taylormade M2 - 10.5º 
Taylormade M2 - 3w 15º
Callaway - Apex CF16 9i-3i
Vokey - 46º F Grind
Taylormade MG - 54º, 60º   
Scotty Cameron - Newport M1  - 4.5º
Taylormade - TP5X #7

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I think a caveat with the flighted shot is you have a tendency to speed the swing up, unconsciously compensating for the perceived shorter distance. As with all shots,but especially this one, commitment and and staying connected with your core are essential.

• 1 year later...

I was just wondering on these flighted wedge shots, do you setup with your feet open or parallel with your target line?

Note: This thread is 1310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!