IGNORED

How to "Flight" Your Wedges and Short Irons

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While this thread takes a look at distance control with your wedges , this thread will discuss how to vary or control the trajectory of your wedges/short irons. A trait of the majority of tour

Sweet!

For me, my full iron shots tend to draw whereas my flighted shots go straight with the abbreviated swing.  With the lower ball flights, I get too much roll on hard greens.  The ball carries to th

• Administrator

Many who have played with me or worked with me will have heard me tell them that I almost never hit a full shot within about 165 yards. Distance and trajectory control are so important. Whether it's taking a 6-iron from 160 or an 8-iron from 130, the same principles apply: ball slightly back of where it might normally go, shorter backswing, still-aggressive downswing, and naturally shorter follow-through.

One little piece to add: when doing this it's not as important to achieve much secondary axis tilt, and sometimes I'll feel or even actually allow my head to move slightly forward during the downswing. I'll often set up with a little more weight on my left foot as well. If you do those two things, too, you may find you don't need to alter ball position at setup at all: you alter it by moving your upper rotational center forward a bit (your head being a reference point for the URC).

• Thanks 1
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Great information Mike!

Do you find yourself "flighting" your wedges more than hitting a standard wedge?

Many who have played with me or worked with me will have heard me tell them that I almost never hit a full shot within about 165 yards.

That's some good advice :whistle:

ball slightly back of where it might normally go

What do you consider "slightly back"? 1 inch?  2 inches?  1/2 an inch?

How much should you practice it before you use it? I play today and I was thinking of putting it in right away. I just worry that I might juice up my shots to much and go long!

Quote:

Originally Posted by krupa

I think Mike mentioned a ball back ...

Thanks!  I see that now.

One little piece to add: when doing this it's not as important to achieve much secondary axis tilt, and sometimes I'll feel or even actually allow my head to move slightly forward during the downswing.

Good point.

Do you find yourself "flighting" your wedges more than hitting a standard wedge?

Yes, I rarely hit a full wedge shot. Just easier for distance control to make a 3/4 swing. Even when it comes to 8 and 9 irons I play a lot of partial, "flighted" type swings.

I like to reference ball position by saying "one ball inside the left heel", etc. So slightly back to me is 1/2 ball to a ball. Also want to highlight that @iacas said "back of where you normally play it". So a "flighted" 8 iron will be a little forward of a "flighted" wedge.

How much should you practice it before you use it? I play today and I was thinking of putting it in right away. I just worry that I might juice up my shots to much and go long!

That's up to you, I guess until you're reasonably confident with it. It's a move that's simple to learn. I find that the gripping down part really makes the 3/4 backswing and followthrough easier.

I just worry that I might juice up my shots to much and go long!

You'll typically hit these flighted shots shorter. You're choking down and making a shorter swing.

Some golfers that struggle with Key#3 might hit them about the same distance or even a little longer at times.

Can I ask (I'm a moron so it may have been mentioned...) what is the purpose of gripping down on the club?

Can I ask (I'm a moron so it may have been mentioned...) what is the purpose of gripping down on the club?

1. Slightly reduces clubhead speed

2. You need to stand closer to the ball which equates to a steeper swing and more downward AoA

Just saw this, good example.

Just helps you hit it a little lower and takes a little speed off. For me, gripping down puts me in the mindset to make a 3/4, even though you're really only gripping down a few inches.

• Like 1

I don't even know why I try and take a full shot with my wedge.. I'll try the 3/4 pw at the range and see how it goes.. Just so much can go wrong trying a full shot with a wedge..

I did a 3/4 8 iron yesterday over water to a green from the fairway.  I normally would do a full 9 for the shot, but tried the 3/4 8 instead.  Worked great.

I think the key is, still make an aggressive downswing. If you ***** out on it because you're hitting more club, it'll lead to lol lol lol.....

I think the key is, still make an aggressive downswing. If you ***** out on it because you're hitting more club, it'll lead to lol lol lol.....

This.

Let's first look at a full swing with a wedge.

Feel ain't feel.

Feel ain't feel?  Is this a typo Mike?  I have read, on these pages, that 'feel ain't real', so gotta wonder.

Express my props for a good and useful thread. thnx.

Feel ain't feel?  Is this a typo Mike?  I have read, on these pages, that 'feel ain't real', so gotta wonder.

Express my props for a good and useful thread. thnx.

Not a typo.