IGNORED

2015 Memorial Tournament Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3245 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Wrong on the hater part. The sport is way further along in terms of viewership, $, etc. because of Tiger Woods. I realize that, and in a sense I do hate to see this happening to him on a personal level, though if he went away tomorrow it would have zero impact going forward IMO. I could care less about his attitude or off the course issues, or his cussing on the course or whatever people like Phan throw up. I do think he milked injuries when playing bad awhile back, but I think maybe he realizes people (not fanboys in here) are catching on to that BS.

But, that disappointment on a personal level for him is overshadowed by a long shot from where I am sitting. What I find hilarious is his fans, spewing excuses and acting like their GF just broke up with them. Actually his fans and the media is why I find this so funny. Supposedly grown men acting like teenage girls at a Justin Bieber concert, gnashing their teeth about anything that remotely paints their hero in a bad light on this forum. And now the crying about his plight.  The media jamming his every move down everybody's throats. Yes, I think it is all very funny.

But I am use to being labelled something in here when I get off the reservation. I was called a racist when I questioned whether he should have been DQ'd at the Masters that year on that thread. BTW, a majority of pros polled think he should have been. Look at all the racists lol.

BTW, how did you like that chip into the bunker after rolling it back off the green at 18? Did it hurt really bad? Do you plan to go outside and do yardwork like Iacas now that your hero is in last place?

Well said!

For Tiger to skip a major being healthy, would be shocking. I think he still has in his head, he is still the best in the world, and will prove it at all costs. Even if he shoots 100 tomorrow , he's not missing the US open.

Well, he almost missed the Masters healthy. But he had confidence going into Augusta. He said his game was trending in the right direction and was shooting good in practice leading up to it. Plus he was comfortable with the golf course. I don't know how the heck you can say his game is trending in the right direction now, and playing it only twice in his life, he sure isn't comfortable with it.

Honestly, I think everything's a complete and utter mess right now. It was a mistake going to Como, and the more he tries to tweak things, the worse this is going to get. He's taking what was a great golf swing and tweaking it for the umpteenth time and when you do that, you're asking for disaster.

The only positive is his short game (before today) was still solid and that is what actually saved him the first two rounds. He putted extremely well and made great chips or else he would have shot in the high 70s to 80s the first two days as well.

Don't be shocked if Tiggs comes down with an unknown injury tomorrow. Telling the media that he hopes it heels in time for Chambers Bay.

Yes, that would be great PR for his real fans. ESPN could have a ticker on his healing and the status of 'the process'. The Mouthpiece could give us scraps on morning drive. His fanboys in here could carry the water, though the comments online at ESPN and CBS sports would be filled with racists and haters. It may be too much to ask for Tiger nation to repel the horde.

Well, he almost missed the Masters healthy. But he had confidence going into Augusta. He said his game was trending in the right direction and was shooting good in practice leading up to it. Plus he was comfortable with the golf course. I don't know how the heck you can say his game is trending in the right direction now, and playing it only twice in his life, he sure isn't comfortable with it. Honestly, I think everything's a complete and utter mess right now. It was a mistake going to Como, and the more he tries to tweak things, the worse this is going to get. He's taking what was a great golf swing and tweaking it for the umpteenth time and when you do that, you're asking for disaster.

I agree with everything you said. But at the same time , if 2 weeks from now he wins the US open, I would not be shocked in the least. He constantly shows glimpses of the old TW in spurts. At some point it's going to click.

I agree with everything you said. But at the same time , if 2 weeks from now he wins the US open, I would not be shocked in the least. He constantly shows glimpses of the old TW in spurts. At some point it's going to click.

Step one is he's going to figure out how to drive a golf ball. Apparently he's spent the last 8 weeks at home doing nothing but working on his driver and we're seeing the result of it. When it's a two-way miss, then you're really in trouble. You can get away with driving it poorly at Augusta because it's wide open with little rough, but you do it at Chambers Bay and you're going to see Tiger Woods shoot in the 90s. I would be shocked if he won because I don't think it's possible to fix his driving problems in two weeks.

Doesn't explain all the name calling and insults.. If Tiger doesn't need a coach then why does he have one?? He is either stupid or knows something hat we don't.. I think more likely they are giving him good advice but he is the leader, and isn't listening to anyone.. Most likely he will replace them if he had a couple more melt downs like this one..

Let's try and thicken the skin a little bit. You seem overly sensitive to a little name calling. Let's just accept a little color in dialogue used to express sentiment without getting so offended. Relax....what...is Sean your brother?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Let's try and thicken the skin a little bit. You seem overly sensitive to a little name calling. Let's just accept a little color in dialogue used to express sentiment without getting so offended. Relax....what...is Sean your brother?

Na, he isn't.. As you were :)

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I would. His "spurts" last for a couple of holes, maybe 9 at most, at a time. Has he even broken 70 this season? Like a single time? My eggs are in the spieth and fowler baskets right now for the open - maybe DJ as well. :)

Finding this scenario funny is very strange. Not finding it funny doesn't mean you have a Tiger "mancrush".

Without getting personal, I have to say I agree with this. I wouldn't like watching anyone going through that - I appreciate that lots of players have the odd horror round, but without every swing scrutinised. I mean, yesterday in an hour and a half, we have 5 slow-mos of Tiger swings. I'm neither a lover or hater (although I do hate his on-course swearing and lack of calling fore), but that made for hard viewing. Let's imagine that we're on the course and having one of our worse rounds. It's not much fun and I don't see why you'd wish it on anyone else or enjoy it when it does happen.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

I would. His "spurts" last for a couple of holes, maybe 9 at most, at a time. Has he even broken 70 this season? Like a single time? My eggs are in the spieth and fowler baskets right now for the open - maybe DJ as well. :)

I really like Spieth as well. I usually don't like Masters champions at the Open, but this might be the first time since Phil in 2006 that I think a Masters champion has a legitimate shot at the US Open. However, I think if Rory brings his game that he had at Wells Fargo, he will hold trophy again.

What is Azinger trying to say? What incorrect information does Tiger have?

(legitimately confused about what's being said here)

Basically that he doesn't need a swing coach, he should be able to figure it out himself.

No Patrick, it is not funny if you are a Tiger fanboy with insane mancrush like most of this forum. Fortunately, I'm not one of those so I think it is hilarious. We can laugh together in this TW mancrush corner of the internet.

Just because someone doesn't hate Tiger, thinks the fields are deeper now than in Jack's day and that there is a severe lack of evidence that Tiger took PEDs doesn't automatically make them a Tiger fanboy. Just makes them able to discern between reality and fiction. My take on these positions aren't based on my "gut" feelings on Tiger, I just look at the evidence (or lack of).

I'm pretty neutral when it comes to Tiger, I think it's good for golf if he plays well but when he was in his prime I always rooted for the underdog (DiMarco, May, Mickelson, Mediate) to win.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Tiger's fallen into that old trap of messing with his swing in the mistaken belief that distance is an end-all in this game. Age and injuries mean he isn't among the longest hitters in the game anymore; more to the point, his talent is enough that he could still be a consistent winner while averaging 280 or so off the tee. Instead, he wants to blast everything, overexerts himself, and screws up his mechanics in the process. At this point, his stubbornness is his worst enemy. If you can break Jack's record and Snead's record, who is going to care in fifty years that you did it playing like Jim Furyk?

I completely agree. In hanks book, tiger was obsessed with hitting the ball far. Bring back the stinger.

Driver: Titleist 910d2

Irons: Mizuno MP4s kbs tour shafts

Vokey Wedges 50 54 & 58

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback

Balls: Pro v1x 

I agree as well. There's got to be something going on with Tiger that few if anyone knows about. I just watched his play...18 was like watching that guy back in the summer Olympics (early 80's) where he was suffering heat exhaustion but was determined to finish so he staggered along before collapsing at the finish line. Tiger fan or not...it's hard to watch.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

What I find hilarious is his fans, spewing excuses and acting like their GF just broke up with them. Actually his fans and the media is why I find this so funny. Supposedly grown men acting like teenage girls at a Justin Bieber concert, gnashing their teeth about anything that remotely paints their hero in a bad light on this forum. And now the crying about his plight.  The media jamming his every move down everybody's throats. Yes, I think it is all very funny.  But I am use to being labelled something in here when I get off the reservation. I was called a racist when I questioned whether he should have been DQ'd at the Masters that year on that thread. BTW, a majority of pros polled think he should have been. Look at all the racists lol.  BTW, how did you like that chip into the bunker after rolling it back off the green at 18? Did it hurt really bad? Do you plan to go outside and do yardwork like Iacas now that your hero is in last place?

I never understood how someone can get so bent out of shape over a player's fans. Its such an easily ignorable thing, especially when theres a boat load of haters to even it out on social media. I do slightly understand the media displeasure, I too would love to see more highlights of a low round rather than an 85. But come on, thisis quite possibly the greatest or 2nd greatest player of all time. You'd be absolutey insane or just a really bad salesman if you didnt understand that Tiger = viewers. Haters, lovers, likers, and dislikers. Everyone wants to talk about him. I find it interesting that so many people are sick of Tiger coverage, yet they barely comment about any other golfers. Its like they're just looking for reasons to complain. Lastly, I dont know if your last comment was meant for me but if so, way to be a hypocrite. I have plenty of man crushes on the PGA Tour, Tiger is not one of them. I like Tiger and have ggenuine respect for him. But I hope Rory destroys his major number :)

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Geez, who are some of these guys at the top? I can see Andy Sullivan sinking the winning putt tomorrow and going up to shake Jack Nicklaus' hand tomorrow and Nicklaus will look him in the eye and ask, "Who are you?"

We could be seeing the end of a streak at majors. We've had fascinating and star-studded leaderboards in many of the majors the last couple years, including the Masters where all the big names were going in playing well. I think the US Open has the chance of looking more like the Players Championship where there's going to be a lot of "Who Are They's" at the top.

Geez, who are some of these guys at the top? I can see Andy Sullivan sinking the winning putt tomorrow and going up to shake Jack Nicklaus' hand tomorrow and Nicklaus will look him in the eye and ask, "Who are you?"

Ha, the only reason I know of him is because I filmed him at the match play a month ago.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Faldo just called today an historic day in Tiger's career. I'd characterize it more as a watershed day. It'll be fascinating to see what happens tomorrow. Unfortunately, we won't see any of it, except as high/low lights. DFL. Does Tiger play alone tomorrow or ask for a marker to play with him? I say he plays alone, assuming he doesn't withdraw.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3245 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!