IGNORED

2015 Memorial Tournament Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3238 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

FINAL FIELD ANNOUNCED FOR THE 40 TH PLAYING OF

THE MEMORIAL TOURNAMENT PRESENTED BY NATIONWIDE

Dublin, Ohio – At 6:00 p.m. EDT Tournament Officials announced the final playing field for the 2015 Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide. World No. 2 Jordan Spieth leads a contingent of 120 players for the 40 th edition of the prestigious invitational Jack Nicklaus started in 1976.

The list of entrants includes, in order, six of the top-10 from in the Official World Golf Ranking: No. 2 Spieth, No. 5 Jim Furyk (2002 Memorial winner), No. 6 Justin Rose (2010 Memorial winner), No. 8 Jason Day, No. 9 Rickie Fowler and No. 10 Dustin Johnson. The 2015 field also boasts 15 of the top-20 on the FedExCup points list and seven of the current top-10 on the PGA TOUR money list.

In addition to Furyk and Rose, nine past winners of the Memorial Tournament will be returning to Muirfield Village Golf Club, including K.J. Choi, Ernie Els, Matt Kuchar, Hideki Matsuyama, three-time winner Kenny Perry, Carl Pettersson, Vijay Singh, Steve Stricker and five-time winner Tiger Woods.

To purchase weekly badges to the 40 th playing of the Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide, the public can call the Tournament ticket office through this Sunday, May 31, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. each day at 877-MT BADGE (877-682-2343). Weekly Patron badges, which are valid Monday through Sunday and provide access to the Tournament grounds, are available for $173 each. Youth 16 and under can attend for free with a ticketed adult, and kids 18 and under are admitted free on Wednesday, June 3, 2015, for Junior Golf Day. Daily practice round tickets for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday are also available. The cost is $35 and they are valid for all three practice-round days.

Sponsor Exemptions include: Jason Gore, Andrew Putnam, Ben Curtis, Ken Duke, Lucas Glover, Retief Goosen, Justin Leonard, Sam Saunders, Jonathan Byrd, George Coetzee, Timothy Crouch, Francesco Molinari, D.A. Points and Cameron Smith.

Thomas Aiken
Sangmoon Bae
Daniel Berger
Zac Blair
Jason Bohn
Steven Bowditch
Keegan Bradley
Scott Brown
Jonathan Byrd
Alex Cejka
Greg Chalmers
Kevin Chappell
K.J. Choi
Stewart Cink
George Coetzee
Erik Compton
Timothy Crouch
Ben Curtis
Jason Day
Brendon de Jonge
Graham DeLaet
Jason Dufner
Ken Duke
Ernie Els
Harris English
Matt Every
Gonzalo Fdez-Castano
Tony Finau
Tommy Fleetwood
Rickie Fowler

Jim Furyk
Lucas Glover
Andres Gonzales
Retief Goosen
Jason Gore
Bill Haas
Chesson Hadley
Adam Hadwin
James Hahn
David Hearn
Russell Henley
Jim Herman
Charley Hoffman
Morgan Hoffmann
Billy Horschel
Charles Howell III
John Huh
Ryo Ishikawa
Dustin Johnson
Matt Jones
Chris Kirk
Kevin Kisner
Colt Knost
Russell Knox
Brooks Koepka
Jason Kokrak
Matt Kuchar
Martin Laird
Scott Langley
Danny Lee

Marc Leishman
Justin Leonard
David Lingmerth
Will MacKenzie
Ben Martin
Hideki Matsuyama
William McGirt
George McNeill
Troy Merritt
Phil Mickelson
Francesco Molinari
Ryan Moore
Kevin Na
Bradley Neil
Seung-Yul Noh
Sean O'Hair
Carlos Ortiz
Jeff Overton
Pat Perez
Kenny Perry
John Peterson
Carl Pettersson
Scott Piercy
D.A. Points
Andrew Putnam
Michael Putnam
Patrick Reed
Kyle Reifers
Patrick Rodgers
Justin Rose

Rory Sabbatini
Sam Saunders
Charl Schwartzel
John Senden
Vijay Singh
Cameron Smith
Jordan Spieth
Scott Stallings
Brendan Steele
Shawn Stefani
Richard Sterne
Robert Streb
Kevin Streelman
Steve Stricker
Chris Stroud
Brian Stuard
Andy Sullivan
Daniel Summerhays
Andrew Svoboda
Hudson Swafford
Nick Taylor
Justin Thomas
Brendon Todd
Cameron Tringale
Bo Van Pelt
Camilo Villegas
Nick Watney
Gary Woodland
Tiger Woods
Gunn Yang

120 Players in the Field

Alternates:
Wheatcroft, Steve
Hurley III, Billy
Garrigus, Robert
Park, S.J.
Barber, Blayne
Curran, Jon
Pinckney, Scott
Guthrie, Luke
Collins, Chad
Wagner, Johnson

the 2015 Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide Television Schedule

Date

Network

Times

Show Description

Thursday, June 4

Golf Channel

2:30 – 6:30 P.M. (ET)

Live First Round Coverage

Golf Channel

7:30 P.M. – 11:30 P.M. (ET)

First Round Replay

Golf Channel

12:30 A.M. – 4:30 A.M. (ET)

First Round Replay

Friday, June 5

Golf Channel

2:30 – 6:30 P.M. (ET)

Live Second Round Coverage

Golf Channel

9:00 P.M. – 1:00 A.M. (ET)

Second Round Replay

Golf Channel

3:00 A.M. – 6:00 A.M. (ET)

Second Round Replay

Saturday, June 6

Golf Channel

12:30 P.M. – 2:30 P.M.

Live Bonus Coverage

CBS/Direct TV

3:00 – 6:00 P.M.

Live Third Round Coverage

Golf Channel

8:30 P.M – 1:30 A.M.

Third Round Replay

Sunday, June 7

Golf Channel

12:00 P.M. – 2:00 P.M.

Live Bonus Coverage

CBS/ Direct TV

2:30 – 6:00 P.M.

Live Final Round Coverage

Golf Channel

8:00 P.M – 1:30 A.M.

Final Round Replay

Monday, June 8

Golf Channel

1:00 P.M. – 6:00 P.M.

Final Round Replay

The 2015 Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide Schedule of Events

Monday, June 1

Practice Rounds                                                                                               All Day

Tuesday, June 2

Practice Rounds                                                                                               All Day

Wednesday, June 3

Nationwide Invitational at the Memorial (Official Pro-Am)                       7:30am

Military Appreciation Day                                                                               All Day

Junior Golf Day                                                                                                 All Day

Honoree Ceremony                                                                                         3:00pm

▪Sir Nick Faldo – Tournament Honoree                                                               ▪Doc Giffin – Journalism Honoree

Jack Nicklaus Golf Clinic                                                                                  4:30pm

Junior Golf Clinic - Safari Golf Club                                                                5:30pm

Thursday, June 4

First Round

Friday, June 5

Second Round

Saturday, June 6

Third Round

Complimentary Jack Nicklaus Ice Cream from 11am – 4pm at Patron Village

Sunday, June 7

Final Round

Complimentary Pancake Breakfast from 8am – 10am at Patron Village for the first 400 people.

Trophy Presentation Following Play of Final Round

*All times subject to change

About the Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide

The Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide is held annually at Muirfield Village Golf Club in Dublin, Ohio, a suburb of Columbus. The Tournament, founded and hosted by Jack Nicklaus, is conducted each year with three goals in mind: to honor the memory of individuals living and deceased who have distinguished themselves in the game of golf; to showcase the world’s best golfers competing on one of the most challenging venues in the world for the enjoyment of spectators; and to benefit many Greater Columbus Charities in alliance with the Nicklaus Children's Healthcare Foundation, Nationwide Children's Hospital and numerous other local organizations. For more information, visit www.thememorialtournament.com or call 614-889-6700.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Looking forward to this - absolutely love the course at Muirfield. It'll be tough to top that fun playoff between Na and Matsuyama last year though - I thought Hideki would have to do it without the driver as well after he smashed his on the 17th.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Tiger is back --- that's about all one needs to say to guarantee interest and ratings.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• Administrator

Anyone going to the practice rounds Tuesday or Wednesday?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Mmm... Tiger's back. I can't wait. Unfortunately I won't be able to watch the Sunday this year, at least not live. :-(

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
Hope to post some pics later tonight. Overcast and cool today.

I won't be able to watch this live until the weekend - will I still be able to see Tiger play?

Seriously, I watch regardless of who is playing as I am a golf fan, much more than a fan of any individual player.

I do get tired of the forced TV coverage of Tiger, when he is not contending - but that is what the lemming fans want, so that is what they get.

I would love to see another 2015 playoff - with 3 or 4 guys, including at least 1 headliner (Spieth, Reed, DJ) and old-timer (Phil/Tiger) and some new blood - now that would be exciting

Players play, tough players win!

I notice that Jon Curran and Scott Pinckney are alternates. I thought a top 10 finish automatically got you in the field the following week.

Bill M

Hope to post some pics later tonight. Overcast and cool today.

Hopefully it's a bit warmer then yesterday.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I notice that Jon Curran and Scott Pinckney are alternates. I thought a top 10 finish automatically got you in the field the following week.

Opens (not The Open or the British Open, but things like the Texas Open) have this rule; I believe invitationals do not.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Tiger is back --- that's about all one needs to say to guarantee interest and ratings.

I think the interest is waning a little, at least from my end. It's still there, but he needs to start showing something. There's only so many times in the past year he can be hyped up only to see him disappoint. It's almost like "Wake me up when he's in contention again." I'm rooting for him this week, but I'm prepared to be spending the weekend watching others in contention because odds are he won't be there. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

• Administrator

Sorry for the massive picture dump (well, "massive" is an overstatement).

The 18th is down from seven bunkers on the right to only three.

I snagged some of the plastic Memorial tees available on the range to the players (and sneaky media members… :D).

The Perfect Putter (a great tool, particularly for instructors).

Easily one of my favorite holes at Muirfield Village - the 9th.

The crowd gathered around the putting green(s) late in the day.

Justin Rose explains how the irons he's testing out feels. Or explaining how a jet plane works, or something…

Dustin Johnson is in good spirits.

AP writer Doug Ferguson and Sean Foley, whom I had to help get through security because for non-media members camera bags are not allowed, only cameras. Derrrrr. Security guy was trying very hard to do his job… he just missed the memo on guys with "Instructor" badges, I guess! :D

Will it be another few years before Rickie notches another PGA Tour victory? Let's hope not.

Jumpin' Matt Every:

Carl Pettersson… let's just say I wasn't in love with his "play it back and stick it in the ground" short wedge shot swing…

KJ Choi working with a glove in the armpit…

That's an interesting belt buckle:

Roy approaches the green on #9:

The Perfect Putter with the laser attachment:

Flat bills and mullets?

I wonder how much that head cover would fetch on eBay?

Most Tour pros all have an entourage… and when you're the most recent major champion, you definitely have an entourage:

Pros working with training aids, part #7391:

Many forget that Justin Leonard won the 1992 U.S. Amateur at Muirfield Village:

Kevin Kisner believes that, unlike his putt on the 72nd hole at The Players, one day they'll drop.

No furrowed bunkers this year…

Ryan Moore, with his TRUE shoes and his PXG clubs…

Pros working with training aids, part #7392:

Nice shoes!

Foley survived his brush with the law in good spirits. ;-)

Or maybe not. But… he does appear to be endorsing the DST.

This guy was doing a modified stork drill: lifting his right heel at address and then making a swing keeping it in the air:

Sean recounts his harrowing tale to Justin Rose. Okay, not really:

Gary Woodland - his hips are open at impact. And before impact.

Steve Stricker's setup always looks just a bit peculiar…

Justin Rose goofing around with the DST:

Nick Watney, where have you gone? Oh, there you are. I didn't see you… I was looking on the leaderboards.

Justin was testing some new TaylorMade irons.

• Upvote 3

Dude, great great shots. Holy crap look at Dustin Johnson getting his weight forward. OT question - can pros wear shorts during their tournament practice rounds?

Colin P.

Seriously Tiger, you gotta show me something this week.

I have to agree with you there.

It's been a rather disappointing as far as Tiger's performance is concerned.

I haven't watched nearly as much golf this year as in the past.  Partly due to Tiger having a mediocre season.

I must admit the Players was a fantastic finish, though.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• Administrator

OT question - can pros wear shorts during their tournament practice rounds?

No. I don't think they really can on-site (except in the health and fitness vans or something) at all. Not in public anyway.

Note: This thread is 3238 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!