IGNORED

Which balls have you used and not liked?

9wood
Note: This thread is 3134 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I could only imagine the complaints if balata was still around. According to this article you should be able to get at least 7 rounds out of 1 ball.

http://golftips.golfsmith.com/long-can-play-golf-ball-1443.html

Pro-V1x and any other premium balls tend to last pretty long. I've only retired one premium ball after several rounds.

The irony is that the "Snake Eyes" brand made for Golfsmith don't last long at all. Probably a few holes, but for $8/dozen brand new it doesn't really matter especially if you lose them. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There a quite a few posts in this thread about Top Flite balls being the worst or like rocks when you hit them. I just want to say that I played 9 holes today and opened a sleeve of Top Flite Gamers, which boast of the dimple inside the dimple design. These Gamers really worked well for me today on drives and pitch shots. Too bad I didn't have much luck on the putting game with them

The TopFlite Gamer ball is a legit ball. IMHO it's a better ball than the Titleist NXT offerings

Colin P.

The gamer is a great mid-price ball.  I play that or the lethals that i have stashed.  The one ball that I didn't like was the project a.  They just didn't feel right to me and felt much harder than I expected.

The gamer is a great mid-price ball.  I play that or the lethals that i have stashed.  The one ball that I didn't like was the project a.  They just didn't feel right to me and felt much harder than I expected.

I play the Lethals on occasion as well. I have to agree with you on the project A ball. Something about them that just did not suit my game?

• 2 months later...
Wilson F. L. I., five dollar a dozen and i got them as a stocking stuffer, YIKES!! AND I HATE NOODLE LONG AND SOFT! Theyre not long and theyre not soft. That being said the noodle ez distance are like 11.97 a dozen at walmart and thats a decent ball for the price.

Count me among those who dislike the Pro-V1 ball.  I got a dozen about 2 years ago and I pull them out when I'm playing a random round and I almost always find that I lose distance with them (like 20 yards off the tee) and they spin WAY too much for me.  I like a ball I can spin, but... these just zip back when I really don't want them to.

I primarily play the TaylorMade Project (a) ball now.  It flies a good distance and spins when I want it to.  Plus, it's affordable, so when I blow 2 or 3 out of bounds during a round, it's not costing me $15, but more like $8 or so.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Noodle.  just do not like

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

I ha e never really had a problem with holding greens on approach shots. It might be that I hit a very high ball and that I need to correct that, but as it is all these supposed suck balls do just fine around the green for me. Maybe I should just play pinnacle golds or something for the extra distance if my balls stick with anything.

You know what, im not a fan of the Pro V1. Now its not a bad ball but how can any company market a ball at a RRP of £50?. Even at the normal "selling price of around £40 i still find this hard to swallow. I mean, if we get passed the whole "drop and stop technology" it has the same construction as other 3 piece urethane balls that cost much less. Is it really that much better or is it just excellent sales pitch from Titleist marketing?

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

You know what, im not a fan of the Pro V1. Now its not a bad ball but how can any company market a ball at a RRP of £50?. Even at the normal "selling price of around £40 i still find this hard to swallow. I mean, if we get passed the whole "drop and stop technology" it has the same construction as other 3 piece urethane balls that cost much less. Is it really that much better or is it just excellent sales pitch from Titleist marketing?

It's likely 70% marketing 30% technology / manufacturing standards.  What I've heard from most people that play it, is they like the consistency.  I can feel the difference between a hard golf ball and a soft one but I doubt I'd be able to determine in a blind test the difference between most of the top golf balls out there.

Joe Paradiso

I was rummaging around the house when i saw what has to be the worst golf ball I've ever hit. One day last year I found a yellow golf ball labeled SureFire sitting in the rough. It was a clean ball, so I assumed it couldn't have been there long. Nobody was near by, so I pocketed it. Three holes later, I splashed one and dropped the SureFire. My PW shot was decent, ball-first contact, but a shock wave rolled straight up thru my arms and rattled my teeth. Then the sound of the strike reached my ears and was unlike anything I ever heard before (and not in a good way). I must of stuffed it in my pocket and dropped it and let it roll under a desk. That's where it had been for roughly a year. A Google search for it turned up nothing. Anyone ever hear of it?

The only ball I've tried in the past year or so that I really didn't like was the Q Star. It just felt like a rock when I hit it. I've tried a lot of different balls too, looking for a good balance of price vs performance. I agree with the comment that I'd be hard pressed to tell one 3 piece ball from another if they weren't labeled. The Monsta, Snell my tour, Kick X, Project {a}, SR2, Hex Chrome and Chrome +, Pro V1 and V1x.... They all play and perform so similarly for me that the only thing that determines which I play is price and availability. Most likely I'll be purchasing Snell My Tour balls through the off season so that I don't have to worry about buying any from a store.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Really felt like a rock? I have only played with the q-star and e6 and a Callaway hex control and the q star felt really good to me. What's your swing speed btw? Just curious, I'm a newbie and am just trying to figure out what I like and what's out there

Really felt like a rock? I have only played with the q-star and e6 and a Callaway hex control and the q star felt really good to me. What's your swing speed btw? Just curious, I'm a newbie and am just trying to figure out what I like and what's out there

I have a moderately fast swing speed. 6 iron was measured at 90+. To be honest the e6 feels hard to me also. It could just be the sound the ball made though, because we all know feel isn't real and sound influences "feel". The ball played fine, as does the e6.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I have a moderately fast swing speed. 6 iron was measured at 90+. To be honest the e6 feels hard to me also. It could just be the sound the ball made though, because we all know feel isn't real and sound influences "feel". The ball played fine, as does the e6.

I feel the e6 is harder than the qstar and the hex control well had too much control for me haha. I went with the e6 cause it was so straight...problem is no spin and have a harder time stopping it from approach irons even though the ball flight is sky high. After I get better I will probably go back to the qstar and try a new ball then

Ya "feels like a rock" doesn't match my experience with Q-Stars at all. I've been using the Q-Stars all summer but recently have been switching between them and B330-RX. They feel pretty similar to me and since I've been using the Q-Stars all summer I can predict what they will do on the greens better than the B330-RX balls.

Here's a link to a compression comparison for most 2014 balls if you are curious.

http://www.golfballselector.com/pdf/GBS_CompressionHardness_Test_070914_v11.14.pdf

Note: This thread is 3134 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!