IGNORED

Rushing Because of Faster Players Behind

CR McDivot
Note: This thread is 3185 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

From a May 7, 2015 news posting Golf.com "A golfer in Connecticut pulled an unexpected metal object out of his golf cart this week and it wasn’t one of those gigantic putters that make grown men look like toddlers. Instead, Alejandro Baeza, 22, grabbed a gun from his golf cart at Stanley Golf Course to retaliate against the party behind him who complained he was moving too slowly, NBC Connecticut reports. “Words were exchanged about golf etiquette and playing through,” police Capt. Thomas Steck told the New Britain Herald. “A man in the first group then went to his golf cart and retrieved a firearm.” At that point, the Herald reports, Baeza hid the gun under his clothes then turned to the party behind him and pulled up his shirt to reveal it. The group that was threatened informed the golf shop, who telephoned the police who later arrived at the scene. Baeza was arrested and his gun and permit were both seized, Golf.com reports. He is now facing threatening and breach of peace charges, according to NBC Connecticut, as well as a ban from ever playing at Stanley Golf Course again." It's a changing culture out there so use caution. I've seen it on the ballfield too. Not worth it to be pig headed either side of the coin your on.

There's a 85 page thread about this here somewhere. It kinda turned into a gun laws debate. But it was active for quite a while back in early summer.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatchman

From a May 7, 2015 news posting Golf.com

"A golfer in Connecticut pulled an unexpected metal object out of his golf cart this week and it wasn’t one of those gigantic putters that make grown men look like toddlers. Instead, Alejandro Baeza, 22, grabbed a gun from his golf cart at Stanley Golf Course to retaliate against the party behind him who complained he was moving too slowly, NBC Connecticut reports.

“Words were exchanged about golf etiquette and playing through,” police Capt. Thomas Steck told the New Britain Herald. “A man in the first group then went to his golf cart and retrieved a firearm.”

At that point, the Herald reports, Baeza hid the gun under his clothes then turned to the party behind him and pulled up his shirt to reveal it. The group that was threatened informed the golf shop, who telephoned the police who later arrived at the scene.

Baeza was arrested and his gun and permit were both seized, Golf.com reports.

He is now facing threatening and breach of peace charges, according to NBC Connecticut, as well as a ban from ever playing at Stanley Golf Course again."

It's a changing culture out there so use caution. I've seen it on the ballfield too. Not worth it to be pig headed either side of the coin your on.

There's a 85 page thread about this here somewhere. It kinda turned into a gun laws debate. But it was active for quite a while back in early summer.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/81903/playing-golf-with-someone-carrying-a-weapon

http://thesandtrap.com/t/75670/concealed-carry-on-the-course

What's ironic, is that the perpetrator appears to have carried the gun onto the course legally. :hmm:

I might change my stance from thinking someone carrying a weapon onto a golf course as a total loser to something else. . . :scared:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I thought I was going to grow old on the course today. 4:45 for 18 holes. 3-5 minute wait on the tee box on every damned hole. We started letting the 5-some get to  the green before hitting our tee shot on a par 5 and we caught up to them on our approach shots.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

That's the first time I've ever heard of someone doing that just to stick it to the group in front of them and I doubt it's a common practice.

There are always extenuating circumstances that require a different interpretation of the rules, but overall if you have a group waiting on you the entire time the right thing to do is to offer to let them play through or to pick up your pace if you're not in position on the course.

I doubt it's common too. Still has happened to me more than once. One time I saw these guys doing it (skipping 2 greens to catch me) only to finally get close enough to hit some approaches (I think they had to also skip the tee shot too to do it too) short of the green while I was putting out for par. After doing that they turned around for the clubhouse and left the balls sitting on the fairway. I think all the getting in and out of the cart was getting tiring for the one with the big beer belly. But clearly it's not unheard of given other golfers' stories / examples.

I agree with your second quote and have acted on it multiple times, extenuating circumstances excepted. On the highway when I see someone barreling through in the left lane and I have room, I move over even if I am faster than the limit too. When I first started playing a few years ago, I was paired up with a guy who refused to let the group behind us play through. I suggested it because I knew I was slowing the group up a bit and his response was along the lines of "no one is going to play through me". Then he proceeded to drive it on the green of the short Par-4 while people were putting. Nice shot, but what a jerk.

Seriously, how many of you have seen groups skip putting just to press a slow group ahead of them? I'm not sure I've ever seen it in all the rounds I've played.

Play Albany muni with me a few times. I'm sure some attempt to manufacture a confrontation will arise. Unless maybe you happen to be acquainted with them. One time a guy standing next to me at the bar slobbered his wine on my arm and gave me the fake apology. I almost bought it, but noticed that he had actually leaned over the bar prior to the spittle to better position his mouth above my arm. Like I said people who do this stuff on purpose have no problem mustering an insincere apology to make it seem like your offense is all in your head. It strikes me as very similar in kind, though clearly very different in degree, to guys (or women) who beat their spouse and tell them it was their fault...We were playing faster than you and you clearly saw us blazing down the fairways in all our glory and didn't step aside to let us through so it's your fault we hit you with our drive / approach.

I'll do a Cyrano on this meathead approach. If you are already in the mindset to skip strokes to push a group, the really clever way to show up someone who is playing slow is just keep getting closer to them with incrementally smaller shots (hit to no more than 60% of the distance remaining) so by the time you are up with them you are putting into them from the fringe. That's both a bit obnoxious and humorous with an implicit message that they are slow and should let you play through. Still no potential injury involved. Just going up to make the request is simpler, quicker, more civil, and the correct form obviously.

A couple of years ago I was playing with my brother-in-law at his winter golf club down in Florida. The place is always packed and we were about a minute late for our tee time because he was talking to the Pro on the putting green. When we got to the tee there was a group of women who had the next tee time and insisted that they should go because we were late. The Pro settled it by stating that he was responsible for any holdup and that we had the tee. Well, those women were on our ass the whole day and I noticed that they never putted out on every single hole and just ran to the next tee so that they could stand there and glare at us, but we were keeping up with the group in front so we never let it affect our pace. They even tried to streamroll past us at the turn because we stopped to grab a dog at the halfway house (we weren't stopping, just grabbing a dog on the move) but my brother-in-law politely told them that they were in violation of club rules and that there would be consequences if they didn't step back and let us have the tee.  It was actually kind of comical and we didn't let it bother us. It was a pointless exercise on their part and all they did was ruin their own day.

2nd other poster with similar experience / story. In this case, I personally would have insisted they go first off the tee, especially knowing I couldn't pull away from them on a crowded course. Perhaps they had been getting grief for holding others up in the past and didn't want to be blamed for their time being pushed back by a group behind them. If I am late to the tee I assume I am at the mercy of the starter and do my best to go with the flow. Would it have been against the club rules to let them through at the turn? If it was crowded what would the difference be for your group?

@DrvFrShow I agree that 5-some should have let you through (unless they were keeping with the group in front on a packed course).

Kevin

I thought I was going to grow old on the course today. 4:45 for 18 holes. 3-5 minute wait on the tee box on every damned hole. We started letting the 5-some get to  the green before hitting our tee shot on a par 5 and we caught up to them on our approach shots.

At HC? That's crazy for that short course!

I doubt it's common too. Still has happened to me more than once. One time I saw these guys doing it (skipping 2 greens to catch me) only to finally get close enough to hit some approaches (I think they had to also skip the tee shot too to do it too) short of the green while I was putting out for par. After doing that they turned around for the clubhouse and left the balls sitting on the fairway. I think all the getting in and out of the cart was getting tiring for the one with the big beer belly. But clearly it's not unheard of given other golfers' stories / examples. I agree with your second quote and have acted on it multiple times, extenuating circumstances excepted. On the highway when I see someone barreling through in the left lane and I have room, I move over even if I am faster than the limit too. When I first started playing a few years ago, I was paired up with a guy who refused to let the group behind us play through. I suggested it because I knew I was slowing the group up a bit and his response was along the lines of "no one is going to play through me". Then he proceeded to drive it on the green of the short Par-4 while people were putting. Nice shot, but what a jerk. Play Albany muni with me a few times. I'm sure some attempt to manufacture a confrontation will arise. Unless maybe you happen to be acquainted with them. One time a guy standing next to me at the bar slobbered his wine on my arm and gave me the fake apology. I almost bought it, but noticed that he had actually leaned over the bar prior to the spittle to better position his mouth above my arm. Like I said people who do this stuff on purpose have no problem mustering an insincere apology to make it seem like your offense is all in your head. It strikes me as very similar in kind, though clearly very different in degree, to guys (or women) who beat their spouse and tell them it was their fault...We were playing faster than you and you clearly saw us blazing down the fairways in all our glory and didn't step aside to let us through so it's your fault we hit you with our drive / approach. I'll do a Cyrano on this meathead approach. If you are already in the mindset to skip strokes to push a group, the really clever way to show up someone who is playing slow is just keep getting closer to them with incrementally smaller shots (hit to no more than 60% of the distance remaining) so by the time you are up with them you are putting into them from the fringe. That's both a bit obnoxious and humorous with an implicit message that they are slow and should let you play through. Still no potential injury involved. Just going up to make the request is simpler, quicker, more civil, and the correct form obviously. 2nd other poster with similar experience / story. In this case, I personally would have insisted they go first off the tee, especially knowing I couldn't pull away from them on a crowded course. Perhaps they had been getting grief for holding others up in the past and didn't want to be blamed for their time being pushed back by a group behind them. If I am late to the tee I assume I am at the mercy of the starter and do my best to go with the flow. Would it have been against the club rules to let them through at the turn? If it was crowded what would the difference be for your group? @DrvFrShow I agree that 5-some should have let you through (unless they were keeping with the group in front on a packed course).

I've played Cap Hills (hasn't been Albany Muni in many years) at least a hundred times. I've never witnessed that. Ever. Maybe you're looking too much into things? Your story about the guy who spilled his wine on you? Why the eff would someone do that to a stranger (you) on purpose? He was probably drunk. Don't read so much intent into things. You're already going somewhere with the mindset that there's going to be confrontation. Again, I've never had a confrontation at that course. Slow play sometimes, but no confrontation. I think it might be you.

Colin P.

At HC? That's crazy for that short course!

Spanaway, but still, that's outrageous. I think the only positive thing about the round was that i got to work on my tan.

• Upvote 1

Julia

Spoiler

I've played Cap Hills (hasn't been Albany Muni in many years) at least a hundred times. I've never witnessed that. Ever. Maybe you're looking too much into things? Your story about the guy who spilled his wine on you? Why the eff would someone do that to a stranger (you) on purpose? He was probably drunk. Don't read so much intent into things. You're already going somewhere with the mindset that there's going to be confrontation. Again, I've never had a confrontation at that course. Slow play sometimes, but no confrontation. I think it might be you.

I didn't realize you guys were from that area. I played Capital Hills a few times growing up (it WAS Albany Muni then) and I played Normanside last year when I was up home for a visit.

Play Albany muni with me a few times. I'm sure some attempt to manufacture a confrontation will arise. Unless maybe you happen to be acquainted with them. One time a guy standing next to me at the bar slobbered his wine on my arm and gave me the fake apology. I almost bought it, but noticed that he had actually leaned over the bar prior to the spittle to better position his mouth above my arm. Like I said people who do this stuff on purpose have no problem mustering an insincere apology to make it seem like your offense is all in your head. It strikes me as very similar in kind, though clearly very different in degree, to guys (or women) who beat their spouse and tell them it was their fault...We were playing faster than you and you clearly saw us blazing down the fairways in all our glory and didn't step aside to let us through so it's your fault we hit you with our drive / approach.

People skipping putting to press the group ahead?  People intentionally slobbering wine on you?

You lead a strange life, since I would bet that 99% of the folks here have never had ether one happen to them at the golf course.  And the other 1% would never go back to that place.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Quote:

Originally Posted by natureboy

People skipping putting to press the group ahead?  People intentionally slobbering wine on you?

You lead a strange life, since I would bet that 99% of the folks here have never had ether one happen to them at the golf course.  And the other 1% would never go back to that place.

I've had beer spilt on me before, but that was a careless mistake on the part of the individual who just consumed 6 of them as we waited for slow parties in front and were all bunched up at a par 3 tee box. . .He was talking with his hands waving around and the beer didn't stay in the bottle very well.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I think there's an ideal pace to a game. I know there is to my round. Go faster than that and my round falls apart. Go slower than that and my round falls apart.

Julia

Spoiler

I think there's an ideal pace to a game. I know there is to my round. Go faster than that and my round falls apart. Go slower than that and my round falls apart.

For me it's more about consistency of pace, within reason. I can play a round that takes 5 hours if that pace is the same the whole time. I have never had a round play too fast for me. However, if the round starts out slow then speeds up because the slow group lets me through or doesn't make the turn then I'm just as likely to mess up as I am if I'm playing fast and have to slow down all of the sudden.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I have the same problem where my round falls apart if we go slower or faster than my ideal pace -

also, if we go at my ideal pace, my round falls apart.......

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtleback

Quote:

Originally Posted by natureboy

I've had beer spilt on me before, but that was a careless mistake on the part of the individual who just consumed 6 of them as we waited for slow parties in front and were all bunched up at a par 3 tee box. . .He was talking with his hands waving around and the beer didn't stay in the bottle very well.

OK, I'm sure this has something to do with something, but I am damned if I can figure out what.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I suspect it is too. I am definitely an Albany insider. But in some way, it seems Albany must think I'm special. B-)

Most of my rounds solo or grouped have been very pleasant. But the unusual number of incidences is not related to my behavior on course. I go to enjoy myself never looking for confrontation which is why the unusual behavior stands out in stark contrast. After multiple situations, I only expect that it may happen - not that it will. But please feel free to keep telling me that any instance of being harassed is most certainly my fault (through misdeed or misperception). If you repeat it often enough I may just accept it as the truth.

Kevin

Lucky me!! :dance: The wine slobbering was at the bar, not on the course just in case that wasn't clear. As a resident, the municipal course is too inexpensive and convenient to not go back to. Besides, America.

Kevin

Lucky me!! :dance:  The wine slobbering was at the bar, not on the course just in case that wasn't clear. As a resident, the municipal course is too inexpensive and convenient to not go back to. Besides, America.

But those hills!!!

Note: This thread is 3185 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!