IGNORED

Rushing Because of Faster Players Behind

CR McDivot
Note: This thread is 3177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Moppy: I am 100% sincere in saying this is not an insult but a confident observation... You are delusional. You are going to have a lot of angry rounds on the course if you find someone taking practice swings offensive.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

^ @ Moppy "If" your assumptions are correct that they are hinting that they want to play through why do you care?????? Someone that wants to play through can ask, stay close enough to you so they can pass you without slowing you down, call the clubhouse, skip a hole, yell at you, hit into you, tell the Marshall when they see him, etc. I have never ever taken a practice swing for any purpose other than to keep loose, pass time, or work on my swing. Are you seriously offended by someone taking practice swings?!?! Can you not accept the fact that occasionally someone may be faster than you and would like to play through? What the hell do you want?

Really? We see singles all time time when there are several groups out. What they do, and what I do when I am a single riding alone, is take extra chips and putts, or play multiple balls, to slow down the pace.  This whole thing started with a single rider complaining that groups were slow. Here's a free clue: When you are a single riding alone, playing a single ball, you are going to catch nearly every group playing.

What is the chance a course busy enough to have groups of 3-4 on every hole had one open tee time for a single to take? I've never seen it. I often catch several groups that are back to back for a few holes. Passing all the adjacent holes before I get to them I would know if there is a gap somewhere. If I was out there stuck behind groups moving slower I would want to be let through even if I had to play through several groups to get to the gap. It's just easier and important to what I consider to be harmonious flow. Feeling pushed and getting stuck are equal on the frustration meter to me.

Dave :-)

Moppy, you're missing the point. I'm trying to say that, when I'm the single in that situation, those practice settings are not meant to be threatening or a message to you. When I play as a single on a slow day I take a lot of practice swings because it gives me a chance to work on my swing. I also play 2 or 3 balls for the same reason. Those practice swings aren't at all a sign of impatience, just a way to stay loose during a slow round and work on swing mechanics.

What is the chance a course busy enough to have groups of 3-4 on every hole had one open tee time for a single to take? I've never seen it. I often catch several groups that are back to back for a few holes. Passing all the adjacent holes before I get to them I would know if there is a gap somewhere. If I was out there stuck behind groups moving slower I would want to be let through even if I had to play through several groups to get to the gap. It's just easier and important to what I consider to be harmonious flow. Feeling pushed and getting stuck are equal on the frustration meter to me.

None whatsoever....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Sorry I missed some of this latter discussion. @Moppy & CR were both told 8 1/2 hours ago that this was easy s*** to understand. I think he is mad about that and is deflecting and not grasping the concept of pace equilibrium. I do not hit into players I hit towards greens or locations. Altercations are a result of pace equilibrium imbalance or dominance by overbearing or misinformed individuals. Those individuals sometimes need to be re calibrated if they show disrespect. I choose to teach YOU how to treat ME if YOU choose to act improperly towards ME. Vey simple concept and not very enjoyable but necessary at times. Because the ball thuds and I can hear it doesn't mean they are hitting at me. I generally point to where it landed. I just think differently, I guess. Sorry Moppy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave2512

Your scenario is fantasy, never see singles on crowded courses.

Really? We see singles all time time when there are several groups out. What they do, and what I do when I am a single riding alone, is take extra chips and putts, or play multiple balls, to slow down the pace.  This whole thing started with a single rider complaining that groups were slow. Here's a free clue: When you are a single riding alone, playing a single ball, you are going to catch nearly every group playing.

I never play two balls because I'm usually playing for handicap reporting, and I just don't get any enjoyment or benefit from it.  I only practice chipping or putting before leaving the green if the mood strikes me AND there is nobody coming up behind me (rare on a full course).  I will often make practice swings while I wait for the fairway or green to clear just to stay loose.  If that bothers you then you need help.  I don't press up close behind when I'm following a larger group and I know that there is no reason to pass them because I know that I'll just face the same situation in front of them.  In such a case, if you invite me to play through, I'll decline.

I will sit in my cart taking in the day, or stand next to it and make a few swings, and it doesn't have anything to do with being impatient or being frustrated with the guys in front of me. All it means is that I was unlucky enough to end up as a single on a busy day.  When you clear the way in front of me, I will play up smartly.  I won't dawdle, but I won't deliberately try to look like I'm rushing you either.  If something like that is a problem for you, then there really isn't any solution.  As Dave said earlier, in most of the country, getting on a busy course as a single is a rare occurrence.  Most courses will find a short-handed group to pair you up with.  If they can't find a short group, it is unlikely that there is an open tee time for you to take anyway.

I would very much prefer to be in the group that the single is following than be the single who has to wait on nearly every shot.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator
But as I said, I have repeatedly said that I would let you through to get you out of my life as soon as possible, on account of the fact that I do consider your aggressive activities rude, but that is not enough, is it?

You're the only person I recall who considers "taking practice swings" to be "aggressive" and/or "rude."

Not only do I have to let you through, but I have to tug my forelock as you pass, bowing my head so as not to meet your royal gaze and accidentally lock eyes too?

Grow up.

And those of you that insist on playing as a single riding when the course is crowded but to maintain maximum pace, constantly pushing on the group in front of you, and then coming here to whine about your experience? Well go ahead and suffer through life thinking that you are right and all of the  other humans are the .....s.\

Who are these people who have insisted on this? Because I haven't seen anyone saying that they expect to play through on a crowded course. Not one.

And @Hatchman, I bet you really enjoy those rounds of golf where you are hitting into people "by accident" and getting into altercations all the time.

Huh?

Here is an honest question, if taking practice swings at your ball if a group in front of you happens to be slow is not how you communicate to them that you think they are playing slow, how do you do it?

I can think of a LOT of things. In fifteen seconds…

• Driving up and asking them to play through.
  • Yelling at them to hurry up.
  • Gesturing with your hands.
  • Standing there on fairway glaring at your watch.
  • Calling the pro shop to complain about them.
  • Standing there with your hands on your hips glaring at them.
  • Hitting as soon as they're out of the area.
  • Time's up. Seven isn't bad. I type quickly, though, too.

I am just curious because I would like to know what actions a group behind me takes that I *should* interpret as signs they are getting impatient with my slow play.

I think "taking practice swings" would be near the bottom of most people's lists… right after "not getting out of the cart at all and just kicking back drinking a beer with your feet on the cart window."

Seriously, @Moppy , you're the only person I've heard of who considers taking practice swings "aggressive" and "impatient" and "rude."

I am still laughing about you 'fast" players needed a dozen or two practice swings though. Seriously, do you imagine the flight of the ball too as you do it? Hold your position until the imaginary ball lands, is that why you need so much time for "practice swings" that you have to start your "routine" even before we hole the last putt and continue it as we replace the flag and walk off the green?

Just think about that for a minute. Seriously.

No, dude, you think about it for a minute.

A certain golfer is used to playing at a faster pace. You're holding him up. What's he going to do? Spend a little time staying loose, maybe working on his swing a bit, or sit in the cart and tighten up? What is your big beef with someone making a few swings.

I've done it. I know for a fact I wasn't being impatient. I don't want to play more than one ball because I'm playing for a score, but it's a nice evening and I don't mind waiting. Gives me time to make some swings. I've had people ask if I wanted to go through and I just wave at them and give them a bit more space so they don't feel too badly pressured, but I don't just sit there either.

Yet if you were in front of me you'd assume I was being aggressively rude and impatient. Peh. You know what they say about assuming…

I'm going to post this again because you both may have missed it…

@Moppy and especially @CR McDivot, this shit isn't difficult. If a faster player (or group) is behind you and there are open space in front, you are expected to let them through at the first opportunity. If the course is full, you don't need to let them through, but you may want to consider it if their constant "practice swinging" frustrates and/or angers you.

Holy hell, guys. This is ****ing simple stuff to comprehend.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think I ran into a Moppy the other day. I was a single in a cart and they were a walking threesome. This dude kept glaring at me as I waited by my ball and took practice swings (not a malicious thought in my mind). Not only did this guy throw his hands up in the air at me in anger (which bewildered me) he then went on to drop balls on the putting green after putting out, apparently trying to prove something. I just stayed back and relaxed, not getting angry. I am a very relaxed person and no way I was giving off an air of impatience. Have you visited Tacoma, WA lately Moppy?

With modern technology why would a fast single want to play at peak times by themselves anyway? On off weeks where my regular group is not available to play: I have 3 apps on my phone where I can book tee times with other groups of 1 to 3 players. That way I know I will not be a single behind slow foursomes. If it is my home course I just call the pro shop and tell them to pair me with someone. The only time I would play by myself early expecting to fly through is the rare course that only one or two groups are out in front and the course doesn't mind me playing as a single. Trying to get out early and passing more than two full groups in front is being obnoxious...IMO. This may be off topic, but I find it imperative I show respect and graditude to any group I have ever passed. I tell them thank you, take no more than one practice swing, never look for a lost ball on the hole you are passing on, and call it a gimme if it is inside Adam Scott's putter. :) Then I wave back when done in acknowledgment to the nice golfers that let me pass in 2-3 minutes it takes to play that one hole. There are only two courses that allow such a scenario for me within a one hour drive (probably 80+ in the area). Otherwise it is just easier on everyone to pair up.

Ok...barely here...and didn't take the time to read this whole thread....but I do have something to say about this.... There is a course I play where you get run over. It has a membership deal where you get unlimited rounds for a monthly fee. Worst idea ever.....not only are people picking up putts that are way outside the gimme range....but they completely ignore replacing or filling divots, fixing ball marks on the green, or any semblance of score keeping or actually playing golf. There are practice areas for that crap.....golf courses are for playing golf. Now, there are always going to be slower. and faster players, and the better you are, the faster you play.(And by that I mean...it only takes a minute or two to take 3 or 4 practice swings and go through the motions...but 10 mins. looking for a lost ball. Point being....let the speed demons through, it's their loss...but never hit into a group or player ahead.

Played this afternoon.Tee time 3:50.course slammed.Two guys Two women playing in front of us.Talk about slow.We get done at 8:30.If not for them we wouldve have been in by atleast 7:30.There were groups in 3 holes behind us that no way they could see to finish. Im not as upset over them playing slow if it was earlier in day but when your pushing darkness and have no regard for others behind you finishing thats selfishness.Thats a shame that teeing off before 4pm would be last tee time that would actually finush because of inconsiderate players.Sad part was from what I saw the two gals hit the ball good but the guys well.....

You're the only person I recall who considers "taking practice swings" to be "aggressive" and/or "rude."

I think "taking practice swings" would be near the bottom of most people's lists… right after "not getting out of the cart at all and just kicking back drinking a beer with your feet on the cart window."

Until today I would have been 100% in agreement with you but during my club championship match (C flight) we had the women's B flight championship match ahead of us.  These (older) women were painfully slow and each insisted on having their own personal caddies (they took it much more serious than I did) and took forever on the greens.  At the 15th hole I was about 180 yards out in the rough.  They were standing off the green and the flag was in the hole so we thought they had putted out but it turns out they were reading the greens for their pitch shots.

I had already hopped out of the cart and grabbed my club when I realized they still had to putt.  I stood there waiting and after about 10 minutes I figured I would get ready and took some practice swings to stay loose and to see how the club would travel through the rough.  They finally putted out and I saw them call our (shared) caddie over.  On the green I asked our caddie what they said, they told him, "We are playing a championship match so tell your members to back the f**k off".

So I guess @Moppy and old women find it aggressive / rude when someone is trying to play ready golf while they dawdle at whatever pace they feel entitled to.

• Upvote 3

Joe Paradiso

Worth mentioning as a fast single there are just some people that are silly fast. I play with a guy that seems to only enjoy getting out of there as quick as he can. He takes no time over the ball just grip and rip and he plays crap golf. I am quick but deliberate. I will spend Furyk type time over a putt but much of it while others in the group are getting ready. If I am not tending a flag I am somewhere on the green doing what I can to get ready without interfering with others playing with me. Same through the green I am doing all the prep work while waiting, laser out, grass tossed, making judgments about what club. It actually makes me quicker because the prep means less sucky results.

Dave :-)

I go to the course as a single pretty much every time. If i can find someone to play with i will and i actively look for a group. If i cant find someone ill play by by self obviously. If i have an open course ahead of me i can get a round done in under 1 hour and 45 minutes no problem. I play mostly twilight so i dont have to wait for a full course.

I think I ran into a Moppy the other day. I was a single in a cart and they were a walking threesome. This dude kept glaring at me as I waited by my ball and took practice swings (not a malicious thought in my mind).

Not only did this guy throw his hands up in the air at me in anger (which bewildered me) he then went on to drop balls on the putting green after putting out, apparently trying to prove something.

I just stayed back and relaxed, not getting angry. I am a very relaxed person and no way I was giving off an air of impatience.

Have you visited Tacoma, WA lately Moppy?

Like I said, it isn't just me. But whatever. I will drop out of this thread out of respect for this forum. I await the first indication of courtesy that a faster player might owe others on the course. Apparently not speeding through a course with multiple groups playing while riding as a single requires absolutely no consideration for any of the groups out playing golf. I learn more about etiquette every day!

A certain golfer is used to playing at a faster pace. You're holding him up. What's he going to do? Spend a little time staying loose, maybe working on his swing a bit, or sit in the cart and tighten up? What is your big beef with someone making a few swings.

Like I said, I am not holding anybody up, there is a group teeing off right now on the next tee. But I really appreciate this forum, and I will drop it.

Note: This thread is 3177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!