IGNORED

Article on Robert Allenby firing caddie and fan taking over

Note: This thread is 2119 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

From the Bleacher Report. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2530059-golfer-robert-allenby-has-fan-carry-bag-after-firing-caddie-mid-round?utm_source=cnn.com&utm;_medium=referral&utm;_campaign=editorial [QUOTE]One fan had quite the experience while attending the first round of the Canadian Open on Thursday at Glen Abbey Golf Club in Ontario. That fan was Tom Fraser, a school principal, who had the rare opportunity to carry Robert Allenby's bag—an opportunity made possible, well, because the Australian golfer had fired his actual caddie mid-round. A tiff reportedly occurred between Allenby and his caddie, Mick Middlemo, when the golfer triple bogeyed on the 13th hole. Middlemo had called for an 8-iron on the fourth shot of the par-five hole, when Allenby had wanted to instead use the 7-iron. Here's what happened, in Allenby's words, as reported by ScoreGolf's Jason Logan:[/QUOTE]
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Robert Allenby has had a rough 2015.

True. He was consistently earning about $2 M for about a dozen years, but he is on track to miss the playoffs for 2 of the last 3 seasons and barely made it in in 2014 with 500 K/#125.

Allenby telling his caddy he does not deserve to be a caddy is sort of like "the pot calling the kettle black".  I am of the opinion Allenby is one of those has beens who should let other, more competitive golfers take his spot in these tournaments.

I understand caddies do far more than just carry the players clubs, but they are still employees of the player... if he felt 7 iron was his best play... Why didn't he just simply override his caddies advice and do it? Isn't selecting a golf club often times using your gut feeling? Maybe just for me it is since I shoot in the 90's lol
  • Upvote 1

I understand caddies do far more than just carry the players clubs, but they are still employees of the player... if he felt 7 iron was his best play... Why didn't he just simply override his caddies advice and do it? Isn't selecting a golf club often times using your gut feeling? Maybe just for me it is since I shoot in the 90's lol

Ultimately it is the player's decision and he must be accountable for it.

BTW, I read that this is the 3rd time Allenby's caddie walked off during a round.   That says a lot about Allenby more than the caddies.

• Upvote 1

Talking about walking off on the pro, Bubba"s guy could've walked several times, a couple in front of a national TV audience......but the paychecks given up as well as future employment opportunities would be huge.

Talking about walking off on the pro, Bubba"s guy could've walked several times, a couple in front of a national TV audience......but the paychecks given up as well as future employment opportunities would be huge.

Yes, it's undoubtably more lucrative to caddy for Bubba than for Allenby.

The accounts of this I've read which quote many with first hand knowledge are not complimentary to Allenby. The fact that this is the 4th time one of his caddies has walked off the course in the middle of a round makes the golfer look quite bad.

Allenby's character is questionable, to say the least. I'd imagine the caddie would've relished the opportunity to hash everything out in a secluded corner of the parking lot after Allenby finished his round.

and Bubba's placements in tournaments and the prize money he makes is the only reason Ted Scott or whatever his name is stays lol.  Bubba as we've seen on camera treats him like absolute dirt and blames him for every poor shot he hits.  Bubba is something of an enigma to me.  Everyone always seems to say he is genuinely a good guy - but we've really seen him be a complete douche on camera.

• Upvote 1

and Bubba's placements in tournaments and the prize money he makes is the only reason Ted Scott or whatever his name is stays lol.  Bubba as we've seen on camera treats him like absolute dirt and blames him for every poor shot he hits.  Bubba is something of an enigma to me.  Everyone always seems to say he is genuinely a good guy - but we've really seen him be a complete douche on camera.

Interesting to that after yesterdays round when Bubba was interviewed. He was asked about how he felt his play was. He said he played great on the back 9. Then goes on to say that on the front 9. He was given bad yardages to pin placements.

Note: This thread is 2119 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!