IGNORED

The Definitive Pace of Play Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 2619 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

83 members have voted

1. 1. How long does it typically take you to play 18 holes as a foursome?

• Under 3:00
    • 3:00 to 3:30
    • 3:30 to 4:00
    • 4:00 to 4:30
    • 4:30 to 5:00
    • Over 5:00

This isn't worth getting into further, but if you're driving the speed limit during hours with an average volume of traffic in New York, you're slowly causing a backup for miles behind you. You'll see a schmuck doing this once in a while and he rightfully gets yelled at by people passing him. Social norms are what they are and people want to get where they're going on the road and on the golf course. When everyone is doing it, going against those norms screws everyone over. The NYC government lowers its speed limit to 25 mph and everyone who drives LOLs.

If it were safe to be traveling at a higher speed, they would raise the speed limits...

Sorry but I default to the actual travel and highway board who came up with those numbers, not the smucks you think they are above the law race car drivers.

The same philosophy applies to golf pace of play.  I default to the course itself, not somebody who sees it as their own mission to get people to play at their speed.

If that was the case, then one smuck could get the highway speed limit raised to 120mph, because hell I know I can go that fast.  So should others.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Quote:

Originally Posted by pumaAttack

The guy said he (or implied others) would put my car into the ditch, for driving the SPEED LIMIT...

Gotta love that mentality.  GET OUT OF MY WAY!!  I am clearly more important than you are or the recommended safe speeds for a car to be traveling based on research and data on the braking distances of cars on that road.

The pace of play issue makes sense now.  People here have quite the entitled problem.

This isn't worth getting into further, but if you're driving the speed limit during hours with an average volume of traffic in New York, you're slowly causing a backup for miles behind you. You'll see a schmuck doing this once in a while and he rightfully gets yelled at by people passing him. Social norms are what they are and people want to get where they're going on the road and on the golf course. When everyone is doing it, going against those norms screws everyone over. The NYC government lowers its speed limit to 25 mph and everyone who drives LOLs.

It's called passive-aggressive driving and in many states, Colorado included, you can be cited for it.  Deliberately driving slower than the traffic flow, even if you are going to speed limit, is dangerous and the law has been instituted to reflect that hazard.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If it were safe to be traveling at a higher speed, they would raise the speed limits...

Sorry but I default to the actual travel and highway board who came up with those numbers, not the smucks you think they are above the law race car drivers.

The same philosophy applies to golf pace of play.  I default to the course itself, not somebody who sees it as their own mission to get people to play at their speed.

If that was the case, then one smuck could get the highway speed limit raised to 120mph, because hell I know I can go that fast.  So should others.

It's "schmucks"! Clearly you're not from around here, haha

It's called passive-aggressive driving and in many states, Colorado included, you can be cited for it.  Deliberately driving slower than the traffic flow, even if you are going to speed limit, is dangerous and the law has been instituted to reflect that hazard.

Good point.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

That only applies to drivers in the left lane, forcing people to pass on the right...

That would be the same as not letting people play through, which I have never advocated for.

Tony  

That's not true. Ohio had their free way speed set at 65 for a long time. They recently changed it to 70 MPH and didn't change any of the roadway design. You can enter city limits and have roadways drop to 55 mph with out any real change in highway design or number of cars on the road.

Speed Limits are set by a multitude of things. You also have horizontal and vertical geometric design of the roadway. You also have wanting the need to help against pedestrian safety. Also you have douchebag municipalities that like to give tickets.

To make this notion that if it was safe to drive faster they would is just wrong. Many times the design speed of a road is way above that of what is actually driven. You might want to know something about roadway design and traffic engineering before making this sort of claim to back your argument.

This whole concept that letting players through is "not free time-wise" is an interesting one. Like the guy on another thread who was playing as a single in a cart and was complaining about "slow groups" and playing through them. What does that cost "time wise" the rest of the traffic flow? Apparently nothing, because the faster player is always right. The people who caused the problem was the foursome walking who did not play as fast as the single on a cart!

This all makes perfect sense!

Depends. If it's a single, probably not a lot because the guy is rushing to the next tee to try to get through the next group. I know golf courses use to say you can't have anything less than a threesome on the course before noon, or they will pair you  up with someone.

I would say in some cases it could slow down play. In others it would speed it up. I think it just depends in the golfers that day and how busy the course is.

That only applies to drivers in the left lane, forcing people to pass on the right...

That would be the same as not letting people play through, which I have never advocated for.

No it doesn't. In Ohio there are areas that have speel minimums as well. You can't go less than a certain speed on the roadway unless it's an emergency, like pulling over to the shoulder area. That minimum is for all lanes, not just left lane.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

No it doesn't. In Ohio there are areas that have speel minimums as well. You can't go less than a certain speed on the roadway unless it's an emergency, like pulling over to the shoulder area. That minimum is for all lanes, not just left lane.

Did you just want to argue for the sake of arguing??

I never said it applied to minimum speeds, as the issue was about speed limits...

Tony  

Did you just want to argue for the sake of arguing??

I never said it applied to minimum speeds, as the issue was about speed limits...

Sure why not. It seems to be all you are doing in this thread.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Is this thread about speed limits now? Haha...

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0
3W:  Nike VRS Covert
3H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
4H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
5-AW:  Nike  VRS-X
SW:  Nike VRS Covert
LW:  Nike VRS X3X 60*
Putter:  Nike Method MC-3i

What's the rush??  hahahaha...

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

@pumaAttack has been restricted from this thread, so let's move along, folks.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Come to NY and try to drive the speed limit on a wide open one lane road.  Make sure you bring a cell phone so you can call AAA to pull your car out of the ditch.

This ^ perfectly epitomizes the aggressive attitude of those who think that we who play near the STANDARD POP for our course are a hindrance to their right to excess speed. Gives them the right to "blow us off the road"! :-\

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

To clarify...

IF there is a hole open in front of me, I will cheerfully invite you to play through.

I will not change my pace to please you... been there, done that, it sucked!

You don't like it... man up and put up the bucks to join a private club where you don't have to put up with the riffraff, but don't be surprised if the "elite" there consider you the riffraff, and would prefer you in the ditch! :-$

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

Quote:

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Come to NY and try to drive the speed limit on a wide open one lane road.  Make sure you bring a cell phone so you can call AAA to pull your car out of the ditch.

This ^ perfectly epitomizes the aggressive attitude of those who think that we who play near the STANDARD POP for our course are a hindrance to their right to excess speed. Gives them the right to "blow us off the road"!

He never said it was a right, he just said that's how it is, and despite what Puma said, that's how it is in Denver too.  However, it has nothing to do with pace of play on the course.  It was never a good metaphor because there is a difference between a traffic law and a recommended maximum time to play 18 holes.  It's not a limit, it's a guideline for mediocrity, and it doesn't mean that players shouldn't do their best to better that pace.

If you are playing to your "pace" and the course is stacking up behind you, then you are wrong, no matter if you are within "policy".  That policy is a maximum, not an ideal.  It shouldn't take a genius to see that you must be doing something wrong if you are the slowest group on the course.

To clarify...

IF there is a hole open in front of me, I will cheerfully invite you to play through.

I will not change my pace to please you... been there, done that, it sucked!

You don't like it... man up and put up the bucks to join a private club where you don't have to put up with the riffraff, but don't be surprised if the "elite" there consider you the riffraff, and would prefer you in the ditch!

This is the first time I've actually been ashamed be lumped with you as a Colorado golfer.  Your attitude is so far off base that you can't even find the ball park.  I've played public course golf for 40 years and never have I run into a golfer with such a stuck up asinine attitude.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

He never said it was a right, he just said that's how it is, and despite what Puma said, that's how it is in Denver too.  However, it has nothing to do with pace of play on the course.  It was never a good metaphor because there is a difference between a traffic law and a recommended maximum time to play 18 holes.  It's not a limit, it's a guideline for mediocrity, and it doesn't mean that players shouldn't do their best to better that pace.

If you are playing to your "pace" and the course is stacking up behind you, then you are wrong, no matter if you are within "policy".  That policy is a maximum, not an ideal.  It shouldn't take a genius to see that you must be doing something wrong if you are the slowest group on the course.

Pace of Play is the standard time expected set by the course to maximize enjoyment of the clientele. Along the Front Range ( and likely most everywhere ) this is typically 4:00 to 4:30 depending on the course. Been that way for decades.

When my home course is not busy, I have played in 3:30... but I do not expect to do so with a full tee sheet.

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

I've played public course golf for 40 years and never have I run into a golfer with such a stuck up asinine attitude.

I love you, too! ;-)

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

Hello all.

Pre-shot routines and looking for errant shots are the biggest culprits IMO.

Players play at the speed they believe effects their score in a positive way.

I recently timed a foursome while marshaling on a par 3 and players ranged from :20 to 1:00 , I couldn't believe what I was seeing when I watched the slowest guy just take forever to get over the ball and hit it, this is one of the biggest problems IMO.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Note: This thread is 2619 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!