IGNORED

Whats the strangest thing you have ever seen on a golf course?

stealthhwk
Note: This thread is 3029 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not strange, but I had to wait for some deer to cross the fairway about 30 yds in front of me before I hit my tee shot. They took their sweet time.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've played my local course for over 30 years, but the last couple of years we've had herds of rattlesnakes roaming the course. Big ones. We had to chase one off the tee on the 9th hole last week. Where did they come from? Did the environmentalists start stocking them?

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I've played my local course for over 30 years, but the last couple of years we've had herds of rattlesnakes roaming the course. Big ones. We had to chase one off the tee on the 9th hole last week. Where did they come from? Did the environmentalists start stocking them?

That is quite interesting.  I have seen several pigmy rattlesnakes when we go to the preserves for hiking/walks but other than that I have only seen one rattlesnake in the wild out here.  My in laws live East of Orlando and its not extremely developed where they are.  We helped assist a nice sized eastern diamond back off the road.  Beautiful snake, very cool customer as well.  They get a bad rep.

Edit to add:  Perhaps there is a change in their prey, may be more rats, mice, squirrels and lizards in the area and they are following the food source and reproducing better as a result.  We have had more snakes out our way as well I feel this year.  Lots of black racers and some other really cool little snakes with the orange or red ring around their necks and matching bellies.

My home golf course is about 10 miles from Arrowhead so we enjoy some impressive military jet flyovers.   They usually arrive well before kickoff and "stage" themselves by flying a few circles at least in part over the golf course and these are low passes.  I love the fighter jets, but the B2 Bombers are my favorite!!  bad azz aircraft!   I live about 40 miles from their home base, so we definitely see them from time to time and not just for flyovers.

I AM SOOOO JEALOUS!!!

That is quite interesting.  I have seen several pigmy rattlesnakes when we go to the preserves for hiking/walks but other than that I have only seen one rattlesnake in the wild out here.  My in laws live East of Orlando and its not extremely developed where they are.  We helped assist a nice sized eastern diamond back off the road.  Beautiful snake, very cool customer as well.  They get a bad rep. Edit to add:  Perhaps there is a change in their prey, may be more rats, mice, squirrels and lizards in the area and they are following the food source and reproducing better as a result.  We have had more snakes out our way as well I feel this year.  Lots of black racers and some other really cool little snakes with the orange or red ring around their necks and matching bellies.

You probably know the course. Mangrove Bay in St Petersburg. Before last year I never saw a rattlesnake. Not even one. Now I've seen between 1 and 2 dozen the last 2 years. These are 3+ feet long and as big around as a Coke can. Serious critters.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Off topic but...

I despise red light camera's with a passion. I really do believe they're primarily a money grab for municipalities.

Even worse is that many are deals with private companies where they pocket most of the money and the town actually gets a fairly small percentage in comparison.

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0
3W:  Nike VRS Covert
3H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
4H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
5-AW:  Nike  VRS-X
SW:  Nike VRS Covert
LW:  Nike VRS X3X 60*
Putter:  Nike Method MC-3i

You probably know the course. Mangrove Bay in St Petersburg. Before last year I never saw a rattlesnake. Not even one. Now I've seen between 1 and 2 dozen the last 2 years. These are 3+ feet long and as big around as a Coke can. Serious critters.

I just started playing and have only played Northdale and Lansbrook out here so far, will have to go play that one now since you say they are out there. Those are either eastern diamondback rattlesnakes or timber rattlesnakes.  Do they have the diamond pattern on them?  Where do you usually see them and at what time?  Wonder if they crawl onto the cart path or rocks where you are playing to warm themselves to digest food if early in the morning or later in evening.  That course must have a healthy critter population.  I have heard Northdale has at times had  a bit of a rat problem so I am happy to share my back yard with the black racers.  I have yet to see a rattlesnake around where I live, love them, but glad as we have kids and my youngest is two.

I might still have a picture from my phone of the eastern diamondback.  If I can find it later I will post it.

Or the non-environmentalists are killing their predators?

Two things happened to me today on the back nine.  First I hit a low line drive off the 1oth tee that skipped four times across a pond to come to a stop 20 yards clear on the other side.  Then on the 12th tee, I hit a crow that was chilling in the middle of the fairway on the fly.  Normally, he would have been in the safest place on the course, but I hit my drive straight and long.  Caught him right in the chest and sent him reeling.

I just started playing and have only played Northdale and Lansbrook out here so far, will have to go play that one now since you say they are out there. Those are either eastern diamondback rattlesnakes or timber rattlesnakes.  Do they have the diamond pattern on them?  Where do you usually see them and at what time?  Wonder if they crawl onto the cart path or rocks where you are playing to warm themselves to digest food if early in the morning or later in evening.  That course must have a healthy critter population.  I have heard Northdale has at times had  a bit of a rat problem so I am happy to share my back yard with the black racers.  I have yet to see a rattlesnake around where I live, love them, but glad as we have kids and my youngest is two.   I might still have a picture from my phone of the eastern diamondback.  If I can find it later I will post it.

Yep, they are diamond backs. There is a course around here called Diamond Back. [quote name="jlbos83" url="/t/84316/whats-the-strangest-thing-you-have-ever-seen-on-a-golf-course/90#post_1207285"] Or the non-environmentalists are killing their predators? [/quote] Actually saw a hawk (or eagle) snatch up a rattler last year.

A few snakes,lizards,a fox and an owl.

A few weeks back we saw a monitor lizard swimming in the small lake next to the 16th tee.He came out and waded up the bank,not towards us thankfully, he looked about 5 feet nose to tail end.monitor.thumb.jpg.15175577cb435f32d6e109

Not the golf course but I shared the range with these guys the other night.  Had they ventured further out I may have been all set for thanks giving dinner with one of the worm burners I was hitting.  (Well the picture didn't post but trust me there were turkeys):8)

Edited by LagShaft
added content

If you have a hankering for a fresh glass of milk, maybe Mrs. Cow will oblige. I think that's a bull though.

Ct0XOT4.jpg

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Deer (Buck?) fight!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Where's that AFLAC duck?

Wh9ERzA.jpg

Steve

We see coyotes and foxes a lot on the muni's here in Denver, sometimes deer.  I hit a goose off a drive straight in the head at Wellshire one day years ago - dropped dead immediately.  When we went to have a look the remainder of the flock wouldn't let us get anywhere near - they seemed pissed. 

About 10 years ago in the DC area I played a charity best-ball tourney hosted by a local strip joint - strippers on every other green, and I saw more than one take tips for "extras".  Wasn't much of a golf game, but sure was quite a spectacle!

Note: This thread is 3029 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!