IGNORED

Gun Laws

RussUK
Note: This thread is 3074 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

25 minutes ago, Jaymancds said:

Leave the laws alone.  As a matter of fact, loosen them so that law abiding citizens can protect themselves.  Is an AR 15 gonna kill anyone? No someone has to use it to kill someone.  Fix the people not the laws.

Will a person with an 8 round handgun be able to kill as many people as effectively as a semi-automatic?

If no one used a gun then yes guns would not hurt anyone. Yet that is a pip dream that will probably never come true in our lifetime. 

Also, there is no way to fix the people. You just got to hope they kill themselves off. Of course that begs the question, if you fix all the people then do you need guns because it fixes the problem right?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Will a person with an 8 round handgun be able to kill as many people as effectively as a semi-automatic?

Most handguns are semi-automatic. Use more precise terminology, please. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Most handguns are semi-automatic. Use more precise terminology, please. :-)

Stupid cross-over technology. Makes it tough to classify things correctly. :whistle:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

It's still a perception thing. I don't think having different types of guns would have minimized the fatalities in SD. For all the sensationalism, the nonstop mentioning of 1600 rounds and bombs, they killed just 14 and wounded 17 in a heavily occupied area with unsuspecting victims. Not that 14/17 isn't horrific, the point is for all their perceived firepower they weren't efficient given the situation. Two people with handguns could do the same thing.

People that do this stuff are nuts not over-armed. It's not really different than the girl that used her car to run people down in a parade.

Dave :-)

• Administrator

https://theintercept.com/2015/12/03/mass-shooting-wall-st/

Last year, Tommy Millner, the chief executive of Cabela’s, a retailer that sells guns, boasted at an investor conference in Nebraska that his company made a “conscious decision” to stock additional weapons merchandise before the 2012 election, hoping Obama’s reelection would result in increased sales. After the election, the Newtown mass shooting happened, and “the business went vertical … I meant it just went crazy,” Millner said, according to a transcript of the event. Describing the “tailwinds of profitability,” Millner noted Cabela’s “didn’t blink as others did to stop selling AR-15 platform guns,” and so his company “got a lot of new customers.” The AR-15 is a high-powered assault rifle based on the military’s M-16 model but without the full automatic capacity,

Stuff like that gets old fast when you actually know about guns.

The AR-15 is not "high-powered" and the words "assault rifle" imply so much more than what it is. The AR-15 is actually one of the lower intermediate cartridge guns on the market. I've hunted with a .30-06 (often groundhog at 200+ yards) that's quite a bit more powerful.

(I typically hunted deer with a .222… and they never ran more than ten yards. Most just dropped where they stood. Good shot placement matters.)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Pondering this series of mass shootings over the years, ever notice that all the perpetrators go into unarmed and more politically liberal areas rather than somewhere like a gun store in AZ or Texas?

Food for thought. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Pondering this series of mass shootings over the years, ever notice that all the perpetrators go into unarmed and more politically liberal areas rather than somewhere like a gun store in AZ or Texas?

Food for thought. . .

What food is there for thought? They're not TOTAL morons.

Just now, iacas said:

What food is there for thought? They're not TOTAL morons.

:-D:beer:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Just now, Lihu said:

Food for thought. . .

Gun Free Zones....Now we need Bomb Free Zones, Knife Free Zones...at least that seems to be how the Liberals want to deal with this situation...

I wonder why they consistently go to "Gun Free Zones" to commit their acts of cowardice?

Personally, I am never "Gun Free"...they call it concealed carry for a purpose, you conceal so no one knows that you are "packing"...

Edited by Osnola

20 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Food for thought. . .

I found this study on-line.  One glance tells me that mass shooting has no apparent pattern other than it happens more in bigger populated areas.  

https://library.stanford.edu/projects/mass-shootings-america

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I find it amusing that since the discussion has been reignited, we haven't heard from the indignant lib Kiwi who was so eager to enlighten we Americans on the dangers of our 2nd Amendment.  

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

43 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Food for thought. . .

Ummmm .... Fort Hood?  (Twice). Washington Navy Yard?  Multiple shootings in Texas and Arizona and other places besides California and Oregon.  Your "food" is inaccurate.

These shootings happen where these people live or work, they don't travel.

Side note: Gunther, "kiwi" is a term for a New Zealander, not an Australian.

22 hours ago, Osnola said:
21 minutes ago, rkim291968 said:

I found this study on-line.  One glance tells me that mass shooting has no apparent pattern other than it happens more in bigger populated areas.  

I've often thought that over population has a lot to do with the rise in violence and mass killings.  We see its effects in nature as well.  When and where I grew up it was no big deal to see shotguns and rifles on racks in the back window of a Highschool boys pickup truck in the Highschool parking lot I often had one laying on my back seat.   Before that kids used to hunt on their way to and from school and lean their guns in the corner of the school house.  Our societal evolution is far more to blame than Guns of any length or color.   

39 minutes ago, Osnola said:

Gun Free Zones....Now we need Bomb Free Zones, Knife Free Zones...at least that seems to be how the Liberals want to deal with this situation...

I wonder why they consistently go to "Gun Free Zones" to commit their acts of cowardice?

Personally, I am never "Gun Free"...they call it concealed carry for a purpose, you conceal so no one knows that you are "packing"...

Nothing to do with anything other than mass shooters pick easy targets where lots of people are gathered.

FWIW most GFZ's are facilities where you pass through a detector it's not just a designation. Mass shootings happen where it's legal to carry too.

This is why gun threads don't go well because people can't talk about it without bringing politics into it. GFZ's aren't designated by political parties. It's places like courthouses, schools, airports etc.

4 minutes ago, LagShaft said:

I've often thought that over population has a lot to do with the rise in violence and mass killings.  We see its effects in nature as well.  When and where I grew up it was no big deal to see shotguns and rifles on racks in the back window of a Highschool boys pickup truck in the Highschool parking lot I often had one laying on my back seat.   Before that kids used to hunt on their way to and from school and lean their guns in the corner of the school house.  Our societal evolution is far more to blame than Guns of any length or color.   

Many other countries with much higher population densities have both lower gun violence and practically no mass killings.

40 minutes ago, rkim291968 said:

Looking at the descriptions of all the bigger events on the map, it kind of confirms my original assertion. They're criminally insane, but not dumb perpetrators.

Of course, it really doesn't take a Stanford PhD to make that assertion. . .

In one case, the criminals took all the gold and other valuable items from a Buddist Monastary and got everything they wanted. They decided at the last minute not to leave any witnesses, and shot and killed all 9 unarmed monks.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

14 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Side note: Gunther, "kiwi" is a term for a New Zealander, not an Australian.

His profile says he's from Wellington.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Really depends on their motivation. The idiot that shoots up Planned Parenthood is different than the disgruntled employee that kills his co-workers and is different than a terrorist.

Note: This thread is 3074 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!