IGNORED

Can't get irons in the air?

Lugowskins
Note: This thread is 2951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Rory hits a high ball. I hit a high ball with plenty of distance. Being able to hit it high is great around here. The only time it hurts is when there is a lot of wind. I gave up on trying to hit it low, messing with shaft flexes... I would like to get my driver a little lower though.

What's plenty of distance?

Rory and other professional level players hit a high ball with lots of lag and power, I'm guessing that we amateurs don't. Most of us flip at impact to get height.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Before this chart on page one, I never saw height measured in yards before.

"Do we have Liter Cola?"

Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir, and I never slice.   

Before this chart on page one, I never saw height measured in yards before.

"Do we have Liter Cola?"

Just get the Large, Farva

Callaway Staffer. Golf Enthusiast. PGA lvl. 3 intern.   Lover of spoiling a good walk.
Driver:  Callaway 816 BB Alpha (Diamana Ki'lia 80 g    3W/5W: Callaway XR Pro  (Diamana Ki'lia 70g)
Irons: 3-PW Callaway Apex Pro (2 flat) Project X pxi     Wedges: 54  &  58 Callaway MD3

Instagram

What's plenty of distance?

What club do you want? I didn't want throw numbers around. 160-165 yard 8 iron/140-145 yard PW, both with very high ball flight. I would say the wedge is at least 50+ in the air. Driver is dependent on where I catch it on the upswing.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

What club do you want? I didn't want throw numbers around. 160-165 yard 8 iron/140-145 yard PW, both with very high ball flight. I would say the wedge is at least 50+ in the air. Driver is dependent on where I catch it on the upswing.

Those numbers reflect a 118 mph driver SS. I have to assume that a high ball flight means those are carry?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

This is my first year golfing and it has only been in the past couple months that I've actually been able to strike my irons well but my one glaring issue is that despite a good straight ball flight anything above my 9 iron doesn't get more than 10-12 feet in the air and its killing my distance! I've tried different ball positions and I definitely strike down on the ball according to my toupe sized divots so just wondering if anyone has had the same issue and how they fixed it. Im sure the consensus will be for me to post a swing video and if its really necessary I will I am just wondering if anyone has some advice I could try before resorting to that. I swing a used set of Nike CCI irons if that makes any difference. Yeah I know they are probably meant for someone above my skill level (I shoot in the mid-high 90s) could that be the issue?

Do those toupe-sized divots start before the golf ball?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Those numbers reflect a 118 mph driver SS. I have to assume that a high ball flight means those are carry?

Yes generally carry. Rocks like Titleist velocity and Pinnacle golds will roll out a couple of yards.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Where are you playing your ball. It could be too far back in your stance. Play your irons off your front heel a driver setup and see if it makes a difference. Cheap fix maybe

Edited by Sante TwoGloves
  1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

Where are you playing your ball. It could be too far back in your stance. Play your irons off your front heel a driver setup and see if it makes a difference. Cheap fix maybe

I disagree with this, in that if you move the ball up too far in the stance it is going to promote an upward angle of approach which is counter intuitive but it will not help the ball get airborn.  Most times you are going to hit behind the ball, blade it, or top it.  

Callaway Staffer. Golf Enthusiast. PGA lvl. 3 intern.   Lover of spoiling a good walk.
Driver:  Callaway 816 BB Alpha (Diamana Ki'lia 80 g    3W/5W: Callaway XR Pro  (Diamana Ki'lia 70g)
Irons: 3-PW Callaway Apex Pro (2 flat) Project X pxi     Wedges: 54  &  58 Callaway MD3

Instagram

To those who are saying they hit the ball 40 yards high, consider this.  40 yards is about the height of a 12 story building.  Do you really think that you could put the ball on the roof of a 12 story building with your typical 8I or 9I?  If so, you have some hulking big gorilla of a swing.  I'm not saying that it isn't possible, but that's some swing for any amateur.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I disagree with this, in that if you move the ball up too far in the stance it is going to promote an upward angle of approach which is counter intuitive but it will not help the ball get airborn.  Most times you are going to hit behind the ball, blade it, or top it.  

If anything the more shallow the AoA the higher the ball will launch. Even if @Lugowskins was playing the ball in the middle of his stance, playing it off the left heel isn't going to create an upward AoA with an iron. And it certainly won't lead him to blade/top/fat it, those are mechanics issues, probably the same issues that are causing the steep AoA problems.

Common fault for amateurs is to play the ball too far back with their irons to "cheat" their low point control.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

if you pull your swing down like you would pull down a rope that rings a bell with two hands thanks to a body motion turn towards the target a good thing to explore is to keep the right hand behind the left at all time even after impact. (a sort of ne release plan even thought you will release latter a question of weight) your ball flight will be will be high yet penetrating and long with max spin control.

so pull the rope down and through the ball, dont release trying to square the club, you will find a great swing of golf and a little draw.

Common fault for amateurs is to play the ball too far back with their irons to "cheat" their low point control.

I'm certainly no expert but i starting playing all of my shots with the ball just off my front heel like Jack recommended in his book Golf My Way and it helped me. I read that Ben Hogan recommended the same thing. doesnt fit all swings but i thought it was worth a try.

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

if you pull your swing down like you would pull down a rope that rings a bell with two hands thanks to a body motion turn towards the target a good thing to explore is to keep the right hand behind the left at all time even after impact. (a sort of ne release plan even thought you will release latter a question of weight) your ball flight will be will be high yet penetrating and long with max spin control.

so pull the rope down and through the ball, dont release trying to square the club, you will find a great swing of golf and a little draw.

I'm sorry.. I don't get it.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

To those who are saying they hit the ball 40 yards high, consider this.  40 yards is about the height of a 12 story building.  Do you really think that you could put the ball on the roof of a 12 story building with your typical 8I or 9I?  If so, you have some hulking big gorilla of a swing.  I'm not saying that it isn't possible, but that's some swing for any amateur.

That's some swing for anybody!

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I hit all my irons (also above my skill level - Titleist 690 MB) extremely high and get good distance from them (4 iron = anything up to 200 yds). Sometimes, though, they fly along the ground. In every case, I have raised my head too soon. If I concentrate on keeping my head down more or less until my right shoulder makes contact with my chin, they go soaring every time. Try to focus on this, I think it will be more important than ball position.

• 3 months later...

I agree its most likely ball position or could be your not hitting down on the ball with the irons. I had this problem and both of those helped. IF these dont fix the problem, an equipment change might help. Two older gentleman I used to play with started developing this problem, they both switched to graphite shafts in their irons and it cured them both. Just food for thought. 

• 1 month later...

It had been a while since I checked this and I must say the advice I got from here was spot on and much appreciated. I was indeed coming in too shallow I was always striking ball first but my swing plane and ball position is what was killing me. My stance was far too wide after years of baseball it was a tough thing to get comfortable with but I've since moved to just outside of shoulder width apart and its helped my ball striking immensely truly coming down on the ball and also keeps me from over swinging (most of the time). I also moved the ball position slightly forward not quite to driver area but ahead of center which I'm still toying with since I hit some bad pully irons occasionally if I get it too forward. Another thing I ditched the blades I was playing I wasn't ready for them but I do feel they helped me immensely by a year of practice desperately trying to find the sweet spot. I bought a used set of Taylormade Burner 2.0s and they're fantastic. It was night and day the first time I swung them. The old Nikes I was swinging my pured 4 iron went about 160 (crazy I know) with the Burners my 7 iron is my 160 club and they're very forgiving unlike the blades. I now use my 4 iron as my driving iron and fly it 210 on a good strike no longer having to rely on my woods off the tee is a good feeling. Gaining 3 club lengths and with the height and ball flight the club generates I actually feel like I'm playing golf. Thanks everyone for the help this site has been great!

Note: This thread is 2951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!