IGNORED

Interesting Things to Note About the Republican Debate

Pretzel
Note: This thread is 3088 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I think there are too many debates. It is diluting whatever message each candidate wants to present. 

Agreed.  One thing good about having that many debates ... they have exposed  to the general public how little Carson, Trump know about policies.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been watching all of the debates this year, of both parties, and I have to say, I'm really enjoying them. Last night's was particularly good.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

1 hour ago, jamo said:

Last night's was particularly good.

Agree. Thought Rubio and Cruz had some good moments. Trump and Jeb made "pars".

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

23 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Agree. Thought Rubio and Cruz had some good moments. Trump and Jeb made "pars".

In that term, Carson double bogey'd.   

The moderators were finally doing their job post all the whining by RNC & the candidates.  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

7 minutes ago, rkim291968 said:

In that term, Carson double bogey'd.   

I honestly don't understand the appeal for Carson. It's early and they do call this "base season" so I guess the Republican base likes a lot of what he has to say. 

My own preferences/beliefs or whatever match up the most with Kasich but he had kind of a crappy night.

Mike McLoughlin

2 hours ago, mvmac said:

My own preferences/beliefs or whatever match up the most with Kasich but he had kind of a crappy night.

IMO, he is the voice of reason but that does not go too far with the "base" I am afraid.  

Carson seems to be a bit out of touch with "minimum wage" subject.  The federal minimum wage has been frozen since 2009 at $7+.   Work for two hours and one can buy a hamburger meal lunch at McDonald.  Work one more hour to pay for public transportation to get to the job.   Per Carson, increasing it will hurt young black kids to get a job.   I burst out laughing when I heard that.  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Carson, Fiorina and Trump are getting the love because most people (especially Republicans) are sick of career politicians doing what's right for their "careers" and not what is right for the country.

Joe Paradiso

2 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Carson, Fiorina and Trump are getting the love because most people (especially Republicans) are sick of career politicians doing what's right for their "careers" and not what is right for the country.

That and they lie through their teeth to make themselves sound better than everyone else. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

3 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

That and they lie through their teeth to make themselves sound better than everyone else. 

I thought the 3 @newtogolf were far more narcissistic than the rest.  People may have initially gravitated to Carson and Trump to go against the Rep establishments.   Now, I think they are attracting followers for different reason: Trump with his nationalistic rhetoric appealing to uneducated blue collar, and Carson appealing to Evangelicals (and anti Trump AND anti establishment).  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

13 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

The Democratic Party leader is different?  How about telling lies to the parents of the fallen after Benghazi?  How about the 1000+ lies and counting from this administration.  (Goggle it and you'll be able to read all night.)  To be blunt, every candidate for both parties is misleading the nation trying to get the nomination of their party. 

Isn't it ironic that many of you continue to say that the Republican Candidates are appealing to the "uneducated blue collar worker.."  Do you feel the same about the Democratic Candidate and the uneducated masses voting for that party?  I wonder which is a higher percentage of the population?

Darrell Butler

Coach (me) to player, "Hey, what percentage of putts left short never go in?"  Player, "Coach, 100% of putts left short never go in."  Coach (me), "Exactly."  Player, "Coach what percentage of putts that go long never go in."  LOL!

Just now, CoachB25 said:

Isn't it ironic that many of you continue to say that the Republican Candidates are appealing to the "uneducated blue collar worker.."  Do you feel the same about the Democratic Candidate and the uneducated masses voting for that party?  I wonder which is a higher percentage of the population?

Absolutely. You take my comments as I am a democrat. I am not. So don't come out of the gates attacking. 

It still doesn't dispute the fact that 3 out of the top 5, and the top 2 specifically leading the GOP race have lied way more than they told the truth. 

Just because I didn't mention democrats doesn't mean they don't lie either. Though this is a republican debate thread, not a democrat one. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

8 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Absolutely. You take my comments as I am a democrat. I am not. So don't come out of the gates attacking. 

It still doesn't dispute the fact that 3 out of the top 5, and the top 2 specifically leading the GOP race have lied way more than they told the truth. 

Just because I didn't mention democrats doesn't mean they don't lie either. Though this is a republican debate thread, not a democrat one. 

saevel, and the difference is that I have to compare the parties and candidates.   It isn't as simple as which lied about what.  For me, in the end, it is a matter of who can beat the Democratic Machine.  This next President stands the chance of appointing multiple members to the Supreme Court.  Our national debt is horrendous and has to be addressed.  Government is growing to a point we may have to admin that we no longer are a Republic.  So, my need to mention for anyone reading here the comparisons. 

Darrell Butler

Coach (me) to player, "Hey, what percentage of putts left short never go in?"  Player, "Coach, 100% of putts left short never go in."  Coach (me), "Exactly."  Player, "Coach what percentage of putts that go long never go in."  LOL!

I watched it. Nothing really different from past debates. Questions were not that great. A few liesby the candidates was nothing new, and should be expected. I did like the media knock down by a couple of the also runners.  I am no fan of today's media at all. After it was all said and done I don' think Trump or Carson hurt themselves, while the rest did not gain anything. If Trump is on the potus ticket, I will vote for him. If for no other reason than he is the best of the worst. :whistle:

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

1 hour ago, CoachB25 said:

Isn't it ironic that many of you continue to say that the Republican Candidates are appealing to the "uneducated blue collar worker.." 

If you are including me in the "many," I didn't say that.   I said Trump's followers are less educated, blue collar, based on a survey done by a group. 

37 minutes ago, Patch said:

I watched it. Nothing really different from past debates. Questions were not that great. A few liesby the candidates was nothing new, and should be expected. I did like the media knock down by a couple of the also runners.  I am no fan of today's media at all. After it was all said and done I don' think Trump or Carson hurt themselves, while the rest did not gain anything. If Trump is on the potus ticket, I will vote for him. If for no other reason than he is the best of the worst. :whistle:

I will vote for Trump, too.  In CA, it doesn't really matter which Rep I vote for.   The State will vote for Clinton.  I.e, my vote won't really move the needle anyway.  :whistle:

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

rkim, I apologize.  I don't take comments about "uneducated blue collar workers" lightly.  My dad had to drop out of school in 4th grade and really never attended 4th grade.  My mom didn't make it much further.  Yet, they voted, my dad served this country and somehow made it through without anyone knowing he couldn't read and then somehow raised 3 out of 4 children along the way.  We lost one of my sisters.  He is my hero.  This past week, while in the hospital, he was asked to sign his name to some stuff and he had to admit to the Doctor that he can't read what he was to sign.  It really hurt his feelings having to say that. 

Edited by CoachB25

Darrell Butler

1 hour ago, CoachB25 said:

rkim, I apologize.  I don't take comments about "uneducated blue collar workers" lightly.  My dad had to drop out of school in 4th grade and really never attended 4th grade.  My mom didn't make it much further.  Yet, they voted, my dad served this country and somehow made it through without anyone knowing he couldn't read and then somehow raised 3 out of 4 children along the way.  We lost one of my sisters.  He is my hero.  This past week, while in the hospital, he was asked to sign his name to some stuff and he had to admit to the Doctor that he can't read what he was to sign.  It really hurt his feelings having to say that. 

Just out of curiosity, who gets to 4th grade without basic reading ability? Not doubting your story, I'm just genuinely curious as to how you can progress to that point without the ability to read.

19 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

Just out of curiosity, who gets to 4th grade without basic reading ability? Not doubting your story, I'm just genuinely curious as to how you can progress to that point without the ability to read.

Sadly (and off topic) it's not that uncommon.  I think you'd be surprised by how many adults in this country can't read beyond a 4th grade reading level.  I read a statistic somewhere (I'll look for it tomorrow) that around 65% of our prison inmates can't read beyond a 4th grade reading level.

Joe Paradiso

4 hours ago, saevel25 said:

It was funny to see Ted Cruz being interviewed after the debates "touting" his inexperience (3 years as a Senator).

3 hours ago, CoachB25 said:

The Democratic Party leader is different?  How about telling lies to the parents of the fallen after Benghazi?  How about the 1000+ lies and counting from this administration.  (Goggle it and you'll be able to read all night.)  To be blunt, every candidate for both parties is misleading the nation trying to get the nomination of their party. 

Let's keep things calm and on topic, this thread is about the Republican debates/race.

6 hours ago, newtogolf said:

I thought it was pretty bad whenTrump said, "I've got a billion dollar company and I don't have to listen to anything he (Kasich) says". Some people love that stuff but it's just silly, Kasich made some good points and Trump would rather say something disparaging than actually debate.

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3088 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!