IGNORED

Changes to Handicap System for 2016 Released

Braivo
Note: This thread is 2316 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

Man, they really like that "par plus" thing. :-)

Anyway, I suspect the "playing alone" thing will have a minimal effect on 99% of golfers with handicaps.

Only those who play alone all the time will be affected.

And only then if they don't just submit scores anyway. ;-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

Man, they really like that "par plus" thing. :-)

Anyway, I suspect the "playing alone" thing will have a minimal effect on 99% of golfers with handicaps.

Only those who play alone all the time will be affected.

And only then if they don't just submit scores anyway. ;-)

I'm leaning that way. If I get in trouble for it, I'll just tell them you told me it was ok.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

I'm leaning that way. If I get in trouble for it, I'll just tell them you told me it was ok.

Nah. Just tell them they are discriminating against you and your multiple personalities. Tell them you never truly play alone… :-)

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Nah. Just tell them they are discriminating against you and your multiple personalities. Tell them you never truly play alone… :-)

That's a bit more true than I'd care to admit. Thank you.

4 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

That's a bit more true than I'd care to admit. Thank you.

4 hours ago, iacas said:

There are always those voices in your head to fall back on. :-\

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Actually, the definition of playing alone seems pretty loose. . .many of us could play a lot more "full" rounds while only playing 13 holes at a time.

Hey, more 1.5 hour rounds! :banana::banana::banana:

What constitutes not playing alone?

As long as someone accompanies the player during the round (e.g., fellow competitor, opponent, caddie, marker for a tournament, friend riding along in a cart) the player is not playing alone.

How many holes can a player play alone to post the score?

The player must be accompanied for at least seven holes for a nine-hole score or 13 holes for 18-hole score. This is consistent with Section 5-1 and the minimum number of holes played under the Rules of Golf.

For the holes played alone (not accompanied), the player would treat these as not played under the Rules of Golf and post according to “par plus” any handicap strokes the player is entitled to receive.

(For more information, see Section 4-2).

Note: If a player plays nearly all holes accompanied but just a few alone, the holes played alone are calculated using “par plus,” keeping in mind the maximum that can be played alone in a round eligible for posting is two holes for a 9-hole score and five holes for an 18-hole score. Some examples would be starting out alone and joining up with a player(s), or starting out accompanied and finishing the round alone. 

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/canada-says-no-to-new-usga-handicap-rule-usga-responds-with-unhelpful-faq

565637ee8b4d7_ScreenShot2015-11-25at5.32

I'm detecting a bit of attitude in Golf Digest. I take it that this change is not going over well broadly across the industry? Or maybe I'm reading more into it than I should.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I still wonder how they're going to police this.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

• Administrator
37 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

I still wonder how they're going to police this.

Police what?

Did you confuse this thread with the 2016 "playing alone is not acceptable" thread?

On 11/24/2015, 1:04:55, newtogolf said:

If they don't require signed score cards, will they require you to identify who you're playing partners were so if there's a question about a posted score they can verify it?   I see little value in not allowing those playing alone to post scores for handicap purposes if the verification system is so weak it's virtually useless in thwarting sandbaggers. 

Conversely I don't want to be on the hook to verify a score with a stranger or club member I was randomly paired with who misrepresented their score.   I guess this will all have to get sorted out as there is a lot of ambiguity and potential for confrontations.

I would guess the rule is basically to give HCP committees at 'serious golfer' private clubs some teeth. If there is a 'notorious sandbagger' aboot they can confirm scores with members they have played with or set up a "spontaneous" pairing by the starter with one of the committee members. But it's easier to fake bad play in front of someone than make strokes disappear, so it seems like the vanity cap is more at risk.

I feel the same on your second point, but apparently mutual card signatures aren't required.

Kevin

You're right. I am. Holiday season.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

• Administrator
49 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

You're right. I am. Holiday season.

Okay. I'll move the post(s). Have a good Thanksgiving!

• Administrator

I now fully support this change, having given it some more thought. Handicaps are supposed to be used for competitive play, so rounds where you're not even remotely competing (i.e. because you're just out there with yourself) shouldn't be used.

This strikes a fair middle ground between the USGA's previous "post whatever you want" policy and the UK type policy where only literal competitive rounds (one a month at most for many players) counted.

If you want to keep a handicap for yourself but don't play competitively… nothing's stopping you. Go for it. Keep it on GAME Golf, or your own spreadsheet, or whatever.

I also think it ties in to this:

• Upvote 2

I use the GHIN system to track my progress and as a baseline if I play a friendly $2 Nassau.  I do however play about half of my rounds alone and if they do not qualify for my HCP it only dilutes the accuracy of my index.  Based upon this change I will no longer use the USGA handicapping system (GHIN) and will find another organization (in Canada?) that will accept me or just use the latest software to track it.

I believe the USGA Rules Committee has taken a very narrow view of serious golfers in the US and is stating that  golfers that play most of their rounds alone cannot be trusted to post a legitimate score - and this is true to the spirit of golf?.  And to the post above from iacas, yes handicaps are used for competition, but for many of us it is a tool to measure our ability to play golf.   What I am hearing is that if you do not play in certain types of competitions or with regular groups at a club you are not worthy of an official handicap - maybe that is what the USGA's intentions are.  One more observation, when I play golf by myself or with others I am always competing with the golf  course and its designers, and to say that because I am by my self I am not remotely competing is wrong as far as my golf.  Do some of you believe that I do not get excited for a birdie putt when I am alone?  Or that I lie and say that I made it when I missed?  I can also be elated with my play or down on my game whether I played alone or not.

I have let the USGA know of my dissatisfaction over this rule, specifically over the demeaning attitude towards golfers that play many of their rounds alone.   As some of you are saying, perhaps I have no need for a USGA handicap.  And as a USGA member, if this rule stands I will have no need for the USGA.

Edited by NJpatbee

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, NJpatbee said:

I use the GHIN system to track my progress and as a baseline if I play a friendly $2 Nassau.  I do however play about half of my rounds alone and if they do not qualify for my HCP it only dilutes the accuracy of my index.

One could easily make a case that the opposite is true.

Again, consider what they do in the UK and Europe. We've skated by for years in the US getting around the "peer review" requirement.

Nothing is stopping you from keeping track of your handicap as a progress measurement tool. Go for it. You're on your own though.

34 minutes ago, NJpatbee said:

I believe the USGA Rules Committee has taken a very narrow view of serious golfers in the US and is stating that  golfers that play most of their rounds alone cannot be trusted to post a legitimate score - and this is true to the spirit of golf?. 

I think the USGA (and R&A) are taking the view that a handicap system is designed to promote fair competition. It's not primarily a status symbol or personal measuring stick. There are any number of ways to monitor your own progress other than an official handicap.

Folks play differently when they're with other people. I don't mean following the rules; I mean there are pressures and rhythms involved with competition and play in groups that are not present in a solo round. Since handicaps are primarily for use in group competition, they should reflect the ability of the golfer when playing in a group.

Edited by Baog
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Baog said:

I think the USGA (and R&A) are taking the view that a handicap system is designed to promote fair competition. It's not primarily a status symbol or personal measuring stick. There are any number of ways to monitor your own progress other than an official handicap.

Folks play differently when they're with other people. I don't mean following the rules; I mean there are pressures and rhythms involved with competition and play in groups that are not present in a solo round. Since handicaps are primarily for use in group competition, they should reflect the ability of the golfer when playing in a group.

Excellent point.  Playing with others necessarily slows the pace a bit and that can definitely affect scoring.  I see many posts from guys who say they play better when competing, others say they play better when playing alone.  In either case, adding the limitation of only posting when accompanied is going to lead in a direction that puts the flow of the game closer to what it is when playing in competition.  Seems to me that anything that promotes a more accurate handicap would be good for everyone.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 2316 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!