IGNORED

Use of forward tees

Buckeye Girl
Note: This thread is 3109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is it far to say that only those with 25 and over handicap can use forward tees on ladies' day? The difference between the two course ratings is 4 (70 and 66) if that matters to you.  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Forward Tees

• Unfair because . . .
    • Fair because . . .

We recently created forward tees at our course and think that only those with handicaps of 25 and above should be able to use them on Ladies Day.

I think it is fair because for the lower handicapper (12 - 24), they usually hit the ball longer and do not need to take advantage of the forward tees when play the high handicapper (25+).

It would all depend on the circumstances of the contest itself.

The few events that I have played in, flight golfers based on ability. For instance, my club championship had the high-handicaps, like myself, in C Flight and played us off the forward tees. The low-handicaps (A flight) played from the tips. 

If the event is something bigger, say a US Open qualifier, everyone is playing the same tees.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sounds like for ladies league play they have decided to use different sets of tees based on handicap. Sure why not one tee is kind of limiting. Though I prefer not to classify tees by sex. I'd like to see multiple sets of tees rated for both men and women from front to back with a suggested handicap range for each. Blue/white/red is outdated.

• Upvote 1

Dave :-)

SUGGESTED tees by handicap is a great idea.

Everyone can play from the distance they choose, if they have a clue they will play appropriately.

As for competitions, this should be left to the committee, and all players must comply or be disqualified.

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

It is right to call them the forward tees. It is the wave of golf. Senior golfers are now dominant on many clubs. Women need to be made comfortable playing.  If you make a reasonable swing and play your second shot again reasonably to the hole with a good hit regardless of which club you use. you should have some expectation to make a green in regulation without having to hit a career shot. The courses have to recognize, on club play, that there are many golfer who must, because of the placement of the  tees , play for a bogey and have no other expectation.  As it becomes more apparent, the help in speed and enjoyment by moving tees forward for those of age and handicap requirements, will be the normal.  There will ALWAYS be men who can play from the Blacks and do well. There are just as many who should be up on the blues or whites and now onto the Reds. 

Combo tees are also gaining traction. I like combo tees and getting away from the b/w/r designation. A local course has championship, black, gold, gold/copper, copper, silver, silver/jade, jade tees ranging from 7676 to 4790. It's a big, long course that should be able to accommodate golfers of every level.

What I find strange when I play with the league guys is during league they can't move up fast enough if their flight requires them to play from a certain tee, in league they want to score best they can. When I see them playing casual rounds they are all the way back hacking it up.

Dave :-)

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/12/2015 at 8:15 PM, Dave2512 said:

Sounds like for ladies league play they have decided to use different sets of tees based on handicap. Sure why not one tee is kind of limiting. Though I prefer not to classify tees by sex. I'd like to see multiple sets of tees rated for both men and women from front to back with a suggested handicap range for each. Blue/white/red is outdated.

Thinks that's a great idea.

In the bag:

Driver Taylormade Burner 9.5. 3W Fusion Vantage 5W Taylormade Burner.

Hybrid: Dunlop Tour Red 18. 4-SW Taylormade RSI 1. Putter Taylormade Ghost TM 880 Tour

64.14 Dunlop HDD Lob Wedge

• 2 months later...

I was playing with a friend yesterday, and at the 10th tee, there was a foursome waiting for us.   They looked like they were all in their 20s and 30s. They wanted us to go ahead of them because they had jumped in on the 10th tee.  We were a 2-some and they were a 4-some. 

It seemed like every time we were finishing a par-4, they would be teeing off and their tee shots were rolling up right next to the green.  The last hole, one of them came very close to a double-eagle.   We were walking off and here comes his tee shot, which rolled right past the pin!  

These are 300-yard par-4s from the forward tees. 

These guys had no business playing the forward tees if they were able to drive the green on a par-4.   I guess at their skill level, maybe they were trying to shoot 59, or maybe they wanted to see if they could sink a tee shot on a par 4.   It was really ridiculous. 

We recently created forward tees at our course and think that only those with handicaps of 25 and above should be able to use them on Ladies Day.

I think it is fair because for the lower handicapper (12 - 24), they usually hit the ball longer and do not need to take advantage of the forward tees when play the high handicapper (25+).

If they are competing against each other then they should play from the same tees. Otherwise the higher handicapper has an unfair advantage. Their lack of distance and ability is balanced out already by their higher handicap.

I think I'm missing something here...

Maybe this year, I should start 20 feet from the green and go from there.

Knock yourself out.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Marty2019 said:

These guys had no business playing the forward tees if they were able to drive the green on a par-4. I guess at their skill level, maybe they were trying to shoot 59, or maybe they wanted to see if they could sink a tee shot on a par 4.   It was really ridiculous. 

Not true at all. Why not?

Hell, it's one of the things we recommend in that book you haven't bought (yet… ;-)). Play from the forward tees. It not only gives you a surprisingly different golf course to play, but it teaches you to get comfortable breaking new scoring barriers. After all, there's a reason for this topic:

I encourage you to try it some time, too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Except the first thing a couple co-workers of mine will ask when I tell them a recent score is "what tees did you play from?" or "what yardage?" Like it's some kind of "wimpy tees" when I tell them I play from the whites, (5,613 yd at the course I play often). And I've gotten responses "well I would play better too if I played those tees" to which, after reading LSW, I would say "then why don't you?"

My take is if I'm reaching all of the par 5's in 2 on a course, I will tee back a set. If I'm hitting driver on every hole because I'm dodging all of the danger on every hole and completely dodging "landing areas," I will tee back a set. I feel like golf courses weren't made to hit driver off the tee box on every par 4/5 hole. The 5,613 yd course I am now moving back to the "mixed" tees @ 6,155 yd because the golf itself is a lot more challenging. I don't get frustrated - I admire the challenge from the design of the course. Even if I may lose a few strokes.

My new course that I will play at 90%+ of the time from now on, I will play from the "yellow" tees @ 5,748 yd even though most of the men will play from the green tees @ 6,213 yd. Not a huge difference though, I guess.

I'm roughly a 17 handicapper. 

Edit: There is a caveat. If I'm playing on a Saturday with a group and people in front and behind us, I will play it forward every time (first reasonable set of tees that are not senior/ladies).

Edited by jkelley9

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, jkelley9 said:

Except the first thing a couple co-workers of mine will ask when I tell them a recent score is "what tees did you play from?" or "what yardage?" Like it's some kind of "wimpy tees" when I tell them I play from the whites, (5,613 yd at the course I play often). And I've gotten responses "well I would play better too if I played those tees" to which, after reading LSW, I would say "then why don't you?"

Yeah. I have no problem saying I played from the red tees one day a month or so. It's fun, and teaches you things.

I like your response too!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!