IGNORED

Collared shirt? Where did this start?

Dave325
Note: This thread is 2945 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

45 minutes ago, colin007 said:

you do realize your sandtrap membership will be revoked....

What?  This shirt is like Barney from How I Met Your Mother level awesome. Aren't you going to be here soon?  Maybe I can make a round with you and I will see if can buy a matching one online for both of us!!  That won't be weird right?  Two bros playing golf in Caribbean shirts??

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

What?  This shirt is like Barney from How I Met Your Mother level awesome. Aren't you going to be here soon?  Maybe I can make a round with you and I will see if can buy a matching one online for both of us!!  That won't be weird right?  Two bros playing golf in Caribbean shirts??

You need to get a picture of that and have you both use that as your avatar!! :banana:

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

1 hour ago, Gator Hazard said:

54 minutes ago, djfajt71 said:

You need to get a picture of that and have you both use that as your avatar!! :banana:

52 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

I like the way you think!  

I am totally down with that!!!

Colin P.

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

I am totally down with that!!!

I definitely would but unfortunately I am slammed this coming few weeks and can't make it up to Orlando. However, next time you are planning on coming out give me some advance notice and I will make it happen, complete with ugly shirts. Maybe we can get a few guys to meet up and play. 

Edited by Gator Hazard

The current deal with "collared" is interesting. I was a teenager when I started playing in the early 70's(that is 1970's, not just after the Civil War as I sometimes sound) I remember buying a golf set that had a cardigan and a mock turtle short sleeve shirt--basically a nice tee shirt. If you look through that thread of old golf photos, I am sure you will see some of who were considered the snappiest dressers i.e, Demaret, Doug Ford, et al, wearing a similar shirt.

The only time I like to wear jeans is the rare occasion of walking in the cooler months  when the grass is brown and the course is damp. Most of my dress pants are cuffed and the cuffs get full of grass, and jeans are warmer and you can throw them in the wash.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Tradition. I don't see private or high end public courses changing that anytime soon. Hell, when I first joined my club we had to wear long pants. Anyway, I wear a collared shirt 99% of the time whenever I leave my home so it is habit with me. Plus, It would never enter my mind to wear jeans on a golf course, not because of fashion, but comfort.

Bill M

1 hour ago, Gator Hazard said:

I definitely would but unfortunately I am slammed this coming few weeks and can't make it up to Orlando. However, next time you are planning on coming out give me some advance notice and I will make it happen, complete with ugly shirts. Maybe we can get a few guys to meet up and play. 

Definitely bro! We will make that happen, ugly shirts and all LOL

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

I like the rule of not caring what they wear so long as I don't see underarm hair.  Most guys these days don't wear short shorts, so I don't have to worry about that.  NO speedos, I don't want to see that, thanks.  As for me, I will always wear a collared shirt with/without a golf long sleeve and slacks (or rain pants), no cargo.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I'm not sure what all this "tradition" talk is about.  It's a perversion of traditional golf.  If you visit the birthplace of golf, you'll see that the Scots are not interested in such formalities.  To them it's a just a game to be enjoyed by all.  The rest of the world turned it into a "gentlemen's" sport.  Wearing collared shirts is just the modern day equivalent of trying to keep the riff-raff out.  I am willing to meet the dress code, but I'm not fooling myself into thinking it isn't just a part of the snobbery that has always made the game unattractive to the masses.

Randal

• Administrator
36 minutes ago, onkey said:

I'm not sure what all this "tradition" talk is about.  It's a perversion of traditional golf.  If you visit the birthplace of golf, you'll see that the Scots are not interested in such formalities.  To them it's a just a game to be enjoyed by all.  The rest of the world turned it into a "gentlemen's" sport.  Wearing collared shirts is just the modern day equivalent of trying to keep the riff-raff out.  I am willing to meet the dress code, but I'm not fooling myself into thinking it isn't just a part of the snobbery that has always made the game unattractive to the masses.

Is dressing nicely to go to church also to "keep the riff raff out?"

How about when attending a funeral or wedding? Also about keeping out the riff raff?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Is dressing nicely to go to church also to "keep the riff raff out?"

How about when attending a funeral or wedding? Also about keeping out the riff raff?

I have never seen a dress code at church, funeral or wedding (unless it is indeed to keep the riff-raff out).  People dress "appropriately" at these events as a matter of choice.

Randal

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, onkey said:

I have never seen a dress code at church, funeral or wedding (unless it is indeed to keep the riff-raff out).  People dress "appropriately" at these events as a matter of choice.

The dress code just isn't written down.

The "riff raff" can get $2 collared shirts. Requiring collars does little to nothing to keep "riff raff" out.

Schools have dress codes. Jobs. Businesses require shirts and shoes for service.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

The dress code just isn't written down.

The "riff raff" can get $2 collared shirts. Requiring collars does little to nothing to keep "riff raff" out.

Schools have dress codes. Jobs. Businesses require shirts and shoes for service.

I'm an atheist so I am far from an expert on your church, but I have to believe that Jesus never instituted a dress code.  I'm pretty sure you can find a story in the bible that shows he shunned a temple for elitism...something along the lines of "all are welcome, as they are".

I never said that people can't afford to buy the shirts, I only implied that golf course dress codes are a throw back to a time when golf was much more exclusive.  Anybody can meet the dress code, but what function could it possibly serve other than "keeping up appearances".  How is a collared shirt functional to the game?

School dress codes? How is that related to this subject?  Students are not customers.

Jobs? Employees are not customers.

No shirt/no shoes/no service - based on hygiene/public health, I have no qualms with a golf course requiring the same.

Randal

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, onkey said:

I'm an atheist so I am far from an expert on your church, but I have to believe that Jesus never instituted a dress code.  I'm pretty sure you can find a story in the bible that shows he shunned a temple for elitism...something along the lines of "all are welcome, as they are".

I never said that people can't afford to buy the shirts, I only implied that golf course dress codes are a throw back to a time when golf was much more exclusive.  Anybody can meet the dress code, but what function could it possibly serve other than "keeping up appearances".  How is a collared shirt functional to the game?

I don't go to church. Best not to assume.

What's wrong with having an appearance? And "keeping it up"? What if most golfers prefer it?

Dress codes exist in many places.

44 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't go to church. Best not to assume.

What's wrong with having an appearance? And "keeping it up"? What if most golfers prefer it?

Dress codes exist in many places.

Why impose a dress code upon your customer?  Because you want your customer base to represent an image that is appealing to your target demographic.  Why do upscale restaurants require a coat?  Why do some upscale country clubs require initiation fees? 

Randal

Just to clarify my previous remarks, I have no objection to dress codes and I have my own personal dress code as well.  But it is just current fashion that creates the dress code and common courtesy that lead me to abide by them where they exist.  And personal self respect that makes me conform to my own personal dress code.  A changing dress code does not mean that golf is losing its traditions nor that there has been a diminution of character or values among golfers.  

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 2945 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!