IGNORED

How far would you travel by car for 1 round of golf only?

Grumpter
Note:Β This thread is 2989 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

The only time I'll be driving on my own to a round of golf that's NOT with friends, is when I'm out of town for work. Β This spring I drove about an hour while in NW PA. Β I was pretty new to TST, but got some great advice from @iacasΒ to find a nice place to play.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist:Β 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 ballsΒ 
:ping:Β G5i putter, B60 version
Β :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy:,Β :true_linkswear:, and AshworthΒ shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A couple times a month, I will drive up to two hours each way to play a course I have never played before. If it's a good one, I will return again with my regular gang. Thanks to these trips, my lifetime play list is over 300.

Marshall

Have clubs, will travel.

I'll make the drive to Valhalla if someone can get me in!Β  ;)Β Β  (bucket list)

Β 

That's 7 hours normal traffic.

Β 

Did I see someone with a Sparty avatar? Wow!

Β 

Say, Mark Dantonio is hosting Saturday Night Live. He couldn't resist another cast of <i>Not Ready for Prime Time Players</i>.

Β 

Go Blue

2Β½ hours at least. Β I just sent in my 2016 dues to rejoin the men's club at my former home course (which I will now start calling my current home course again). Β The course is 154 miles from my house, so I will be driving about 2Β½ hours each way for each tournament I play this summer. Β Some will be 18 holes, some 36 holes, and the club championship is 54 holes.

In the past I have driven nearly 4 hours for one round. Β I like driving as long as it isn't in theΒ city. Β Combining a road trip with a round of golf is just a bonus.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

11 minutes ago, Motah City said:

Hey 4 Putt, I've played that course in Sterling by the hwy (76) during layovers. Is that your home course?

I assume that you're referring to Riverview Golf Course. Β It's more or less my home course, at least it was last year. Β It's about 20 minutes from my house. Β We have a nice little 9 hole course that's just 5 miles away that I play a lot too. Β There is another one on the west side of Sterling as well, the Northeastern 18 (used to be Sterling Country Club). Β Not too bad for living out in the boonies.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

3 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

Β  Not too bad for living out in the boonies.

Riverview was full of sand burrs last time I played there,Β  it was dry in mid summer.

OP ... sorry. Not trying to hijack your thread.

Β 

13 hours ago, spider said:

I posted my road trip map, at least I thought I did. let's see if it works this time. 50 state capital road trip with driving times between cities.

That's strange, when I click on the picture to get the larger view it is upside down but the picture in the post is right side up.

If you are making the trip alone you might think about posting a chart with dates in theΒ Member Outings & Meetups forum.Β Harrisburg andΒ Trenton are within my normal driving distance and Dover, Annapolis and DC are not that much of a stretch... depending on the day of the week.

9 hours ago, Grumpter said:

That's strange, when I click on the picture to get the larger view it is upside down but the picture in the post is right side up.

If you are making the trip alone you might think about posting a chart with dates in theΒ Member Outings & Meetups forum.Β Harrisburg andΒ Trenton are within my normal driving distance and Dover, Annapolis and DC are not that much of a stretch... depending on the day of the week.

Thanks for the heads-up. My trip is in April so I'll post my schedule in March 2016.

For a couple of the area amateur circuit events this summer, I traveled an hour down and an hour back. That's about my limit.

As far as just going out to play 18, about an hour each way would be the limit. I do some short trips with a night's layover, so I would tend to play the local course there rather than make a special trip.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• CompletedΒ KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking Academy:Β Fitting, Assembly & RepairΒ School (2012)

Driver:Β  :touredge:Β EXSΒ 10.5Β°, weights neutralΒ  Β ||Β Β FWs:Β Β :callaway:Β RogueΒ 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball: Β image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.pngΒ QStar Tour - DivideΒ  ||Β Β Bag: :sunmountain:Β Three 5 stand bag

I once drove 4 hours each way to play a 9 hole course by myself.Β  In my defense, it is quite an unusual course and located fairly in the middle of nowhere - Benbow Golf Course and RV Resort in Mendocino County.Β  I drove past it a couple times and thought - I have to check that out someday .Β  so one day, I did. Β 

It's not a bad course, really . .except the greens.Β  The greens, at least when I went, seemed to be cut with a regular mower . .you couldn't even really putt on them.Β  There was a par 3 with a huge drop, though . .probably 50+ feet and, in general, it was a fairly scenic course . .surrounded by redwoods and plenty of blackberries.Β 

But I wouldn't drive that far, ordinarily . .that place just intrigued me to the point where I had to see it for myself.Β  I would drive a couple hours, maybe . .or I would actually consider driving 5 or 6 hours and then staying overnight and playing the next day.Β 

• 1 month later...
On January 5, 2016 at 11:12 AM, Grumpter said:

I am trying to determine how long of a drive I am willing to suffer this winter to get in a single round and wonder what others would set the limit at. So what would you set the limit at for 1 round of golf as a single player without any other plans/meet-ups included in the trip? The only purpose of the trip being 1 round of golf for yourself only. I think my limit is approximately 2 hours one way or 4 hours total.

If I were single, Id drive that far as well for a round of golf if necessary. Having a young family at home means I barely get to play locally, so if we'reΒ having a tough winter or too much rain or theres a special course I wanna play thats not local, Im just toast.

Was paired up w/a guy who came from Staten Island to a course in Long Island once. He used public transportation and cabs. So that's:

From home, cab/train/bus to ferry - 20 min

SI ferry to ManhattanΒ - 30 min

Ferry stationΒ to commuter train - 30 min

Commuter train to LI - 1 hour

Cab from commuter station to course Β - 10 min

That's not including waiting, add 30 min.

That's 3 hours, one way. At least you can get some reading and work done since not driving. Play 18. Go back. That is one. Long. Day.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

15 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Was paired up w/a guy who came from Staten Island to a course in Long Island once. He used public transportation and cabs. So that's:

From home, cab/train/bus to ferry - 20 min

SI ferry to ManhattanΒ - 30 min

Ferry stationΒ to commuter train - 30 min

Commuter train to LI - 1 hour

Cab from commuter station to course Β - 10 min

That's not including waiting, add 30 min.

That's 3 hours, one way. At least you can get some reading and work done since not driving. Play 18. Go back. That is one. Long. Day.

Now thats some serious golf dedication!

• Upvote 1

Note:Β This thread is 2989 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!