IGNORED

How far would you travel by car for 1 round of golf only?

Grumpter
Note: This thread is 2979 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am trying to determine how long of a drive I am willing to suffer this winter to get in a single round and wonder what others would set the limit at. So what would you set the limit at for 1 round of golf as a single player without any other plans/meet-ups included in the trip? The only purpose of the trip being 1 round of golf for yourself only. I think my limit is approximately 2 hours one way or 4 hours total.

i really want to play Bethpage some day and thats 3.5 hrs by car.  so i would do 7 hrs round trip.

crap, i mis-read that.  by myself?  playing as a single when i got there?  jeez...IDK...maybe an hour away? 2 hrs round trip?

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, Grumpter said:

I am trying to determine how long of a drive I am willing to suffer this winter to get in a single round and wonder what others would set the limit at. So what would you set the limit at for 1 round of golf as a single player without any other plans/meet-ups included in the trip? The only purpose of the trip being 1 round of golf for yourself only. I think my limit is approximately 2 hours one way or 4 hours total.

Same here. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

My general rule has always been that I wouldn't drive round trip any longer than I'd be at the place I'm going.  So for a round of golf, I guess that would put the distance at right around 2 hours or just a hair longer if you factor in warming up and such.

The longest I think I have traveled is to the Palm Springs area - about 90 minutes or so away?

1.5hrs would be about my max and I'd be sure to show up extra early for some range time plus extra practice around the practice green.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I have traveled to Europe to play golf. So, to answer part of the question, it would be pretty darn far. Of course that was not by car, so those trips don't count in this thread. 

Normally, by motor home, a few hundred miles, just to play golf,  would suffice in most cases. Say +/- 1200 miles round trip? It don't take much for me to take off on a golf road trip. 

I will assume I can substitute a motor home for car for this thread. :whistle:

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

2 minutes ago, Patch said:

I have traveled to Europe to play golf. So, to answer part of the question, it would be pretty darn far. Of course that was not by car, so those trips don't count in this thread. 

Normally, by motor home, a few hundred miles, just to play golf,  would suffice in most cases. Say +/- 1200 miles round trip? It don't take much for me to take off on a golf road trip. 

For only 18 holes of golf? Surely you jest? (or misread OP?)

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I've driven 3 hrs one-way to play one round in a tournament.  But to play alone?  No more than 30 min.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I drove a couple of hours this summer to place a nice course, it won't happen again, I'm a 45 minute max guy, I have everything I need right here.

Drive to warmer weather to play this winter? not happening, I'll fly.

Edited by MrDC

43 minutes ago, colin007 said:

i really want to play Bethpage some day and thats 3.5 hrs by car.  so i would do 7 hrs round trip.

crap, i mis-read that.  by myself?  playing as a single when i got there?  jeez...IDK...maybe an hour away? 2 hrs round trip?

You wouldn't have to play as a single once you got to the course but couldn't plan to meet-up for a round with people you know. Getting paired up with other players you didn't know is perfectly acceptable. I think Bethpage (Black I assume) or similar would be an exception. I am talking just a normal every day course.

3 minutes ago, Patch said:

The idea is that trip is for golf alone and then back home after the round. Not a road trip. Also, others going on the trip with you would not be acceptable (only as far as my original question goes).

7 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

For only 18 holes of golf? Surely you jest? (or misread OP?)

No. There have been occasions we have driven to Pebble Beach for one round of golf. Thats about 550 miles one way fo us. I read the question for what I thought it was worth. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Depends on the time of year and how desperate I am. A couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to get 9 holes and some range practice in but had to drive about 1hr 20 mins each way. Was kinda crappy when I got there, cold and windy and temporary greens but after not being able to play for 2 months i was pretty desperate. The drive there was ok but coming back seemed longer, lol. I am used to having to travel lots anyway so I wouldn't hesitate to drive 2 or 3 hrs to play but in the summer I play nearly every day so stick with my local course as it's only 10 minutes away.

I value solitude when I can get it highly.

I have had many trips down to NC by myself (3-4 hours one-way) for a single round. I even remember twice in last three years I was by absolutely by myself on the course (no pairings) and nobody behind me or in front of me until I caught up with folks on some hole but stayed back so I can carry on by myself. If family obligations permit, I would drive even further (5 hours max one-way since anything beyond that would start nipping on my next day usefulness).

Driving is part of much needed solitude.

Vishal S.

I would have to say it depends on the course. Unless it was something special, I would normally just play something close-by if I was going out as a single. On the other hand, I would get in the car right now and drive 13.5 hours, that google tells me it is, to Augusta National.

Players play, tough players win!

250 miles one way. Sometimes I just MUST play while there are wintergreens in the Netherlands. Get up at six o clock, drive 4 hours, play and....... go home, or find a place to sleep to play again the next day.

Right now the longest trip for a single round of golf was to Norwalk, OH for this summer's TST event. That's about 300-miles round trip. Lots of fun, good company and I got a backpack out of it.

I knew it was going be tough to get my question across but let me try to clarify. If you need to use the word 'we' for the trip it is excluded. It is yourself ONLY driving in a car X.X amount of hours, playing 1 single round of golf at an every day course (Bethpage, Pebble Beach and the like excluded) and then driving back home (maybe stopping for a bite to eat on the way home/there). Going to an event, like the TST outing, is also excluded as you are meeting up with people you know (even if it is people you only 'know' through the internet).

Note: This thread is 2979 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!