IGNORED

2016 Arnold Palmer Invitational Discussion Thread

boogielicious
Note: This thread is 2928 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Back at Bay Hill in Orlando. This is usually a good tournament to watch. I really like the finishing hole too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this goes here or in the fantasy golf thread - but Matt Every is going for a three-peat this week.
Every has 2 PGA wins for his career, both of them at here.

Players play, tough players win!

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

Not sure if this goes here or in the fantasy golf thread - but Matt Every is going for a three-peat this week.
Every has 2 PGA wins for his career, both of them at here.

33 minutes ago, pumaAttack said:

Matt literally wins EVERY time he plays here.

That would be cool! 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

23 hours ago, Scotsclaff said:

Fowler Mickelson Watson Spieth Johnson Rose and Garcia,not playing.

Palmer's tournament is in a weird spot on the schedule.  Next week is a WGC event and 2 weeks after that is the Masters.  It's almost like the Palmer is starting to fall off like the Nelson.  Sad but true.

Matt Every said he's been blacking out when standing over the ball lately....I doubt he wins this week.

Edited by mdaugherty24

Titleist 915D2 10.5°
Titleist 913h 17°
Titleist 913h 21°
Titleist AP1 4-GW
Titleist Vokey SM4 54° and 58°
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar Putter

12 minutes ago, mdaugherty24 said:

Matt Every said he's been blacking out when standing over the ball lately....I doubt he wins this week.

I think like Kevin Na- psychological, IMO, since only happens with the one club - driver. Boy, that can be unnerving, embarrassing and maddening all at the same time. On the positive side at least it is not a medical condition.

Who know, returning to winning grounds might just be the jump he needs to get out of the funk. 

Vishal S.

34 minutes ago, mdaugherty24 said:

So you are saying I shouldn't put him on my fantasy team; thanks, got it!

2 hours ago, ElWagonne said:

Palmer's tournament is in a weird spot on the schedule.  Next week is a WGC event and 2 weeks after that is the Masters.  It's almost like the Palmer is starting to fall off like the Nelson.  Sad but true.

The Nelson was never quite the draw this has been, it suffered from its place in the schedule.  But, your point is valid.  I wonder how much it will drop once the great man is gone.  The Nelson fell off the map.

I don't think that will happen to The Memorial because of the grandeur of the course and its favorable spot on the schedule.

Edited by Gunther

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

5 hours ago, Gunther said:

The Nelson was never quite the draw this has been, it suffered from its place in the schedule.  But, your point is valid.  I wonder how much it will drop once the great man is gone.  The Nelson fell off the map.

I don't think that will happen to The Memorial because of the grandeur of the course and its favorable spot on the schedule.

The course didn't help things with the Nelson either.  I agree that the Memorial won't have this issue, even if they lose that choice spot as more or less a last tune up for the US Open.  I've never heard a bad word said about Muirifield Village.

Heard an interview with the tournament director yesterday.  They are a bit disappointed that many of the top American players opted to not attend including Spieth, Fowler, DJ, Bubba (injury), Phil and Patrick Reed.  

Top 5 Power Rankings golfers are all outside the US.  I realize the tournament date is not ideal but you'd think Arnie would have more clout with the US players.  

Joe Paradiso

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, newtogolf said:

Heard an interview with the tournament director yesterday.  They are a bit disappointed that many of the top American players opted to not attend including Spieth, Fowler, DJ, Bubba (injury), Phil and Patrick Reed.  

Top 5 Power Rankings golfers are all outside the US.  I realize the tournament date is not ideal but you'd think Arnie would have more clout with the US players.  

To be fair, Arnie's heyday was almost before many of the guy's parent's impressionable years. Tiger arguably did a ton more for the modern pros than Arnie, and as you noted, the date isn't super awesome. It used to be Honda/WGC/Arnie, but this year Tampa was thrown in the middle.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

25 minutes ago, iacas said:

To be fair, Arnie's heyday was almost before many of the guy's parent's impressionable years. Tiger arguably did a ton more for the modern pros than Arnie, and as you noted, the date isn't super awesome. It used to be Honda/WGC/Arnie, but this year Tampa was thrown in the middle.

Arnie was hugely popular, but he benefited from being the first superstar of the sport to be regularly seen on televised broadcasts. So as much as I love me what he meant and means to the game, it is hard to compare importance across era's. Tiger certainly meant more to tournament purses, and sponsorship in terms of dollars.
Arnie played in an era of Monday qualifiers, difficult travel between tournaments (until he showed them all how to fly/pilot between events), and tour pros having to earn money in local exhibitions, and with local sponsors.

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Arnie was hugely popular, but he benefited from being the first superstar of the sport to be regularly seen on televised broadcasts. So as much as I love me what he meant and means to the game, it is hard to compare importance across era's. Tiger certainly meant more to tournament purses, and sponsorship in terms of dollars.
Arnie played in an era of Monday qualifiers, difficult travel between tournaments (until he showed them all how to fly/pilot between events), and tour pros having to earn money in local exhibitions, and with local sponsors.

I know.

The fact remains that to today's Tour pros… it's tougher for them to feel any debt of gratitude to Arnie. And I say that as a guy who's met him and who looked up to him as a somewhat "local guy" growing up.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2928 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!