IGNORED

Jason AllDay - Penalty Strokes for Slow Play?

bmartin461
Note: This thread is 2938 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recent article about slow play on the PGA.  

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2016/3/29/11321418/billy-horschel-players-penalized-for-slow-play-jason-day-wgc-dell-match-play-2016?ref=yfp

I understand routine is part of what makes these guys so good, but I also agree it's a bit out of control.

If you think about youth wanting to emulate their idols, this could get bad on the local courses and tournaments.  

What are your thoughts?  Should the slow play penalties be increase/enforced more often?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

until they start slapping these players with penalties, they won't change

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

19 minutes ago, bmartin461 said:

Recent article about slow play on the PGA.  

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2016/3/29/11321418/billy-horschel-players-penalized-for-slow-play-jason-day-wgc-dell-match-play-2016?ref=yfp

I understand routine is part of what makes these guys so good, but I also agree it's a bit out of control.

If you think about youth wanting to emulate their idols, this could get bad on the local courses and tournaments.  

What are your thoughts?  Should the slow play penalties be increase/enforced more often?

Definitely stroke penalties. I don't care if it's the final round on Sunday, no group on the PGA Tour should be taking more than 4:10 to play a round.

• Upvote 1

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I really had no idea except that the round was about 4 holes behind Rory and Bello's. I think rules should be enforced, if they are going to penalize for ball movement and other situations, this is pretty cut and dry. Time is a definite measurable item.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

If some of the guys I play golf with closed their eyes to visualize their shots like Day does, they'd fall asleep.  

If you maintain pace with the group in front of you I don't care what pre-shot routine or visualization you do but when you fall two holes back, you need to speed things up.  

Give them one warning and put them on the clock, penalize them one stroke for each violation.  They need to target the offenders in the group not the whole group as it's not fair that one guy uses up 70% of their allotted time.  

Joe Paradiso

4 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Give them one warning and put them on the clock, penalize them one stroke for each violation.  

Can someone who knows explain what "putting them on the clock" means in a golf tournament?  I have seen it happen, but I don't understand how it's determined/enforced.

Thanks!

15 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

They need to target the offenders in the group not the whole group as it's not fair that one guy uses up 70% of their allotted time.  

This should be an obvious protocol.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Hey, Mark Crossfield can't spell. Who knew!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

48 minutes ago, bmartin461 said:

Can someone who knows explain what "putting them on the clock" means in a golf tournament?  I have seen it happen, but I don't understand how it's determined/enforced.

Thanks!

The officials for the tournament have an estimated time to play each hole. If a group is being where they should be, then a rules official will start timing them per hole. This is where they would determine if they get penalized.

Day takes way too long to putt. He, along with many other players, also wait until the other player hits before taking with his caddy about club selection, wind, aim point etc. He should have done that while the other guy was getting ready. That's where the real time loss is.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On a more serious note, Jason Day's pre-shot shoulder waggle is annoying.

Interesting, my posts didn't merge.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Just now, Ernest Jones said:

O a more serious note, Jason Day's pre-shot shoulder waggle is annoying.

Interesting, my posts didn't merge.

I posted in between. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Just now, boogielicious said:

I posted in between. 

Oh, well stop doing that!

Yours in earnest, Jason.

PGA Tour doesn't have enough money/volunteers to have every player on the clock at all times? Every sport - except baseball and it's a big topic for them - has a shot clock/game clock; golfers should have one as well. This is really is a joke at this point. What's the hold up from implementing this?

oh yea, Chess has a freaking play clock. Think of all the variables chess players have to consider, but golfers can't get put on a clock GTFOH!!

Finally, I hope I do see players' performance suffer as a result. It's a skill to be able to play well and play fast, and a skill I think golf should reward.

Edited by jgreen85

The "All" Nickname is funny.

But I don't think he's that slow, by tour standards anyway. That said.....I hate how long they take. I hate how the TV sort of glorifies it by listening in on the conversation between player and caddie....and then the announcers fawn all over the players and the caddies over the conversation, blah blah blah.

It's a catch-22. The shots are worth a lot of money. There is a lot on the line. To a point, taking more time is probably always going to help the player....having essentially unlimited time to feel ready is a huge advantage. They don't get to do this in other sports where there is a clock. So how can you discourage a behavior that is rewarded with better play and more money?

I don't like the idea of fining the player....this penalty hurts the average or struggling player much more than the uber-rich top 20 player. Stroke penalties are essentially the same thing as a fine.

So I don't think there is a lot you can do about it. We are stuck with it. Unless they want to use technology and create a true shot clock, which I wouldn't be opposed to seeing in professional tournaments. But that would be a b!tch to develop and get right.

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

4 minutes ago, Big Lex said:

So I don't think there is a lot you can do about it. We are stuck with it. Unless they want to use technology and create a true shot clock, which I wouldn't be opposed to seeing in professional tournaments. But that would be a b!tch to develop and get right.

nonsense. this could EASILY be developed and implemented. Have a volunteer follow each player and click a stop watch when he/she approaches his/her ball. Boom! 1950s technology gets this done. every 10 seconds over costs you a stroke.

These guys are out there for WINS. Strokes will get their attention immediately.

Edited by jgreen85

I noted this in the tournament thread. Yeah, it was pretty awful. I don't really care about slow play for professional golfers, except that amateurs emulate their routines. I know that having Day's long routine will not help me on the course one bit. But a lot of people think it would help, and it's not helped when announcers talk about visualization and how important it is for Day.

I do wish the PGA Tour would do something about it. Slow play is a scourge on our game. And I can't think of many PGA Tour players who are legitimately fast players. Rickie is only one that really comes to mind. Tiger hates slow play, but then takes 3 minutes reading and lining up his putts. I've read that Jack was pretty slow, too.

One thing in Day's defense is that he might have been slower than usual in the match play as for gamesmanship. He's pretty slow normally, so that might not be part of the reason, but it's something to mention.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I think it's hard to do (some disagree ;-) ) but a shot clock would be perfect. I think every player should get one or two "timeouts" as well, so that they can spend a bit more time occasionally in the round if they think they need it.

The problem with the current pace of play thing is that it's relative and one person can screw it up for an entire group. If every player has the same clock, then it's fair. They can learn to plan and execute a shot in a minute or whatever the appropriate standard is.

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Note: This thread is 2938 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!