IGNORED

"Line of Putt, Jordan."

JLeeWildcat9
Note: This thread is 2921 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On The 18th Green, Jordan Spieth stood on the line he putted on, on his long par attempt. It looked like he was trying to "push" a spikemark down. It's obvious on the replay. I'm not a J.S. hater, but the camera was on him constantly. No one is above the rules.

Screenshot_2016-04-09-19-34-57.png

Looking at how he looked at his first putt on 18, there are really only a few options....

1.  He clearly violated rule 16-1 and clearly "touched the line of his putt" for a reason that is not an exception to the rule

2.  Yes, it is a rule he violated, but "c'mom, everyone does it" so let's just ignore it

3.  Speith actually did not stand on the line, but stood "beside" it....or, at least is was "inconclusive".....like everyone in the media would interpret 

what is your choice....btw...the higher the number, the more ridiculous the rationale in my opinion.....

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

2 minutes ago, BallStriker said:

Looking at how he looked at his first putt on 18, there are really only a few options....

1.  He clearly violated rule 16-1 and clearly "touched the line of his putt" for a reason that is not an exception to the rule

2.  Yes, it is a rule he violated, but "c'mom, everyone does it" so let's just ignore it

3.  Speith actually did not stand on the line, but stood "beside" it....or, at least is was "inconclusive".....like everyone in the media would interpret 

what is your choice....btw...the higher the number, the more ridiculous the rationale in my opinion.....

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

yes I have video.....but keep getting jammed up b/c it is too big of mov. file to post....dammit...

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

8 minutes ago, BallStriker said:

yes I have video.....but keep getting jammed up b/c it is too big of mov. file to post....dammit...

Upload it to youtube then post the link it here and it will embed. If you need to change file formats then use Windows Movie Maker and just export it as a different file type before uploading to youtube. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

There is an exception to the rule if you step on your line of putt accidentally and your line isn't improved, it's not a penalty. So that could be it? I agree that video is pretty damning, although I don't know that it's conclusive, given the possibility that the camera angle was off.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

4 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

How could we determine if he walked in his line if the video doesn't actually show him putt?

If you do not have the Masters on HD on DVR, then you shouldn't be in the conversation.......I am just giving video for frame of reference....

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

16-1a/12 Player Walks on Line of Putt
Q.A player walked on his line of putt. Did he incur a penalty for a breach of Rule 16-1a?

A.Yes, if he did so intentionally. No, if he did so accidentally and the act did not improve the line.

It's a tough situation. It's a rule that is based on intent.

It's the 2nd image I posted that is most damning. He's what, 3 feet in front of his ball walking towards the hole. I don't know how you can say that is accidental. It's not like he's walking around to the hole and accidently walks across the high point. This putt is pretty straight and he hits the putt exactly where he walks over it. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

1 minute ago, BallStriker said:

If you do not have the Masters on HD on DVR, then you shouldn't be in the conversation.......I am just giving video for frame of reference....

No, you said "I have video, pretty conclusive". ... That's not "for frame of reference.

19 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

No, you said "I have video, pretty conclusive". ... That's not "for frame of reference.

I do have video....in HD on my 60 inch TV....it is conclusive to me....not so sure seeing the repeat on a computer screen can give you the exact same perspective I have.....do you have it on big screen DVR?  if not, then i really don't care about your opinion.....sorry

Two points to add here.....and I like your response saevel

first, I do not think he intentionally stepped on the line to "improve" it

second, I do think he did step on his line to get a correct read.....it was not "accidental"

interesting call....but I think it looks bad for him because this is not the SOP

Edited by BallStriker

Just a brief mention on this...I don't see anything wrong with what he did, but if that's a rule, then some of the rules are pretty nuts. But I thought the penalty on Tiger a couple years ago was pretty stupid, too. This is the part of golf I hate. Some of these little rules are a bit extreme, and you also have people with no life who call these PGA guys trying to "gotcha" them. But Jordan is a pretty smart guy....he knows all the rules as much as anyone and he knows the camera is studying him and on him non-stop. I don't think he'd do something intentional knowing that he'd probably get caught and get penalized. I don't know. Just my 2 cents. I say no big deal and who the heck cares, but that's just me.

Edited by ChrisP

Just now, ChrisP said:

Just a brief mention on this...I don't see anything wrong with what he did, but if that's a rule, then some of the rules are pretty nuts. But I thought the penalty on Tiger a couple years ago was pretty stupid, too. This is the part of golf I hate. Some of these little rules are a bit extreme. But Jordan is a pretty smart guy....he knows all the rules as much as anyone and he knows the camera is studying him and on him non-stop. I don't think he'd do something intentional knowing that he'd probably get caught and get penalized. I don't know. Just my 2 cents. I say no big deal, but that's just me.

I am honestly flabbergasted by this. Playing the ball as it lies is the basic principle of golf. If he's stepping on his line and improving his line, he is not doing that. It's honestly not that different from using your foot wedge. This is assuming he did it on purpose, but who really knows about that.

On another note, I'm curious if anyone has called this in.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

29 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I am honestly flabbergasted by this. Playing the ball as it lies is the basic principle of golf. If he's stepping on his line and improving his line, he is not doing that. It's honestly not that different from using your foot wedge. This is assuming he did it on purpose, but who really knows about that.

On another note, I'm curious if anyone has called this in.

I walk in front of my ball all the time and it doesn't help improve my line any haha But like I said, Jordan knows every camera is on him. He knows the rules and is a pretty smart guy. I can't see him doing it intentionally. If he knew what he was doing, he should have walked all the way to the hole instead of just a couple feet. If you're gonna break a rule, break it all the way haha. To me this is funny people making a big deal out of this. If it was a big deal, the officials would have addressed it by now. 

Edited by ChrisP

Stepping on a line of putt on a course like this  ... would it really improve the putting surface for the particular putt?  I really doubt it.   This thread is  much ado about nothing, IMO.   

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 2921 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!