IGNORED

Carry Pull Cart or Ride?

ks8829
Note: This thread is 3267 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Walk whenever possible.  I use a pull cart since carrying my bag bothers my back...a lot.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just bought a clicgear 3.0 after having a few good experiences renting a decent bag boy push cart... The difference in experience between a junky pull/push cart and something stable, and easy to dink around was much bigger than i anticipated..

I have courses the require carts, but i'm looking forward to more push cart rounds this summer.

Carrying a 30# sack of clubs around is for the birds... No thank you.

I use a push cart unless I'm playing with certain friends who's health is too bad to walk 18 anymore.  I typically play better when I walk, and unlike a lot of the post in the beginning of this thread, I've noticed that a group of decent golfers can typically walk faster than a group playing in carts.  Most people playing in carts don't know how to play at a decent pace using an electric cart.  All 4 will sit and watch each others shots before even moving to their ball and getting into their routine.  While walking, everyone can typically head out to their ball and start their routine and all 4 players will hit way faster than all 4 players riding in a cart.

I ride in nearly all of my rounds because nearly every course around here requires it, including my home course where I play 90% or more of my rounds.  When I play a course that will let me walk, I do and I prefer to carry my clubs.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Walk and carry almost exclusively. I played two scrambles last year where I rode and twice with my Uncle where I rode. Riding is nice sometimes, but I prefer to walk. Aside from the exercise, what I like most is playing my own ball. When you're paired up with someone in a cart, I don't like the whole going to each other's ball aspect of it.

Originally Posted by anthony

Walk and carry almost exclusively. I played two scrambles last year where I rode and twice with my Uncle where I rode. Riding is nice sometimes, but I prefer to walk. Aside from the exercise, what I like most is playing my own ball. When you're paired up with someone in a cart, I don't like the whole going to each other's ball aspect of it.

yeah, this is what causes me to walk.  one of my home courses don't care how many carts the 4-some uses, so singles can get their own, and only have to worry about their ball.   its 50/50 whether i push-cart or ride there.  depends on how i'm feeling.  but my other home course will put singles together in the same cart.  so not only are you playing 2 balls, but you're riding w/ a stranger.  in those cases i prefer to walk.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

I recently bought a Callaway RAZR carry bag (it's awesome) and try to carry when I can.

Having said that, ain't no way I'm walking & carrying a bag during a Florida summer. That's sadistic. I'll ride.

• 3 years later...

I got to the course at 6:50 the other evening wanting to rent a cart, so I could finish as many holes as possible. I left my my pull cart at home. Well the pro shop was closed, so I walked carrying my clubs, which I had never done before. I figured I would play four holes and call it an evening. I ended up enjoying carrying the clubs more than the pull cart and more than riding, finished nine holes by the time it got too dusky to see the ball in flight.  Now don't want to use the push cart anymore. I did recently buy a new bag from Ping, my main criteria being that the bag was the lightest bag that would do the job. I also would never carry my clubs backpack style before, both straps, but after a couple of holes, this became natural, and picking up the bag onto my shoulders became very quick and easy since you learned to always approach the bag from the correct side to quickly shoulder it.

I prefer to walk with a push cart.  If the course and/or weather makes it too hard for me to walk or the course doesn't allow walking, then I ride.  I favor choosing courses where I can walk (with a push cart).  I'm 57 and am healthy enough to walk; imo I'm to young and healthy to prefer riding.

I find if everyone is walking, whether you carry or use a push/pull cart, that is the most social and fun way to play.  You are often walking with a different player/players from the group from hole to hole depending on where your balls have gone.  When you use a cart, you are kind of in your own world with the one player you are sharing the cart with.

I got to the course at 6:50 the other evening wanting to rent a cart, so I could finish as many holes as possible. I left my my pull cart at home. Well the pro shop was closed, so I walked carrying my clubs, which I had never done before. I figured I would play four holes and call it an evening. I ended up enjoying carrying the clubs more than the pull cart and more than riding, finished nine holes by the time it got too dusky to see the ball in flight.  Now don't want to use the push cart anymore. I did recently buy a new bag from Ping, my main criteria being that the bag was the lightest bag that would do the job. I also would never carry my clubs backpack style before, both straps, but after a couple of holes, this became natural, and picking up the bag onto my shoulders became very quick and easy since you learned to always approach the bag from the correct side to quickly shoulder it.

Boy, you sure don't have a bag like mine.  If I couldn't ride or push, I'd not be playing.  Even pushing, I don't want to see a lot of hills.  I can push for 9 here on my 9 hole home course, but my knees are very glad to be finished at that point.  No way I'd walk on the 18 hole course where I also have a membership, not even 9 holes, I think that there's like 3 holes on the course that aren't up and down hills.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Boy, you sure don't have a bag like mine.  If I couldn't ride or push, I'd not be playing.  Even pushing, I don't want to see a lot of hills.  I can push for 9 here on my 9 hole home course, but my knees are very glad to be finished at that point.  No way I'd walk on the 18 hole course where I also have a membership, not even 9 holes, I think that there's like 3 holes on the course that aren't up and down hills.

I went through all the bags at the store, trying each one, and picked the one I could carry the easiest that still had a place to put a water bottle (OK, a beer bottle). I wasn't planning to carry it, but I knew I would be using a pull cart a lot.  I am not in great shape, and my course is pretty hilly.  I am not sure I could walk all 18 yet though, but I might by the end of the summer.  I still haven't found a good place to put my rangefinder where it is easily accessed and won't get lost.

I guess all I am saying is that if you have never tried it, you should just once. You might be surprised.

My best investment was a electric trundler, i carried for over 10 years and physio told me it was extremely bad for my lower back, i than push cart for a few years but you still get a little fatigued on hilly courses coming down the back stretch. I purchased a electric trundler and your muscles are still nice and loose on the 18th. My whole group of friends now have one too. We are all in our mid 30's playing off single

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

I went through all the bags at the store, trying each one, and picked the one I could carry the easiest that still had a place to put a water bottle (OK, a beer bottle). I wasn't planning to carry it, but I knew I would be using a pull cart a lot.  I am not in great shape, and my course is pretty hilly.  I am not sure I could walk all 18 yet though, but I might by the end of the summer.  I still haven't found a good place to put my rangefinder where it is easily accessed and won't get lost.

I guess all I am saying is that if you have never tried it, you should just once. You might be surprised.

I walked and carried for many years, into my 50's.  I also hiked and backpacked in the Rockies.  When I started having foot problems, I found it necessary to cut back on the load I carried, so my backpacking became day hiking (I still hiked up to 16 miles in a one day round trip), and my carrying on the course became pushing.  For tournaments I started riding, and eventually I was riding for all rounds.  Now this year, at age 68, I'm making a point to trying to walk 9 holes at least once a week.  That is about my limit at the moment.  It might end up leading to knee replacement, but I'm avoiding that until it's absolutely necessary.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I carry most of the time. I'll ride if it's included in the green fee or if I'm with a client.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

My home course requires carts, so obviously I ride there.  I enjoy walking (with a push cart), but even when we play other courses, most of the guys I usually play with prefer to ride. I'd walk a lot more if I wasn't always the odd man out - some of the courses we play have quite a gap between the green and the next tee box, so the guys in carts would already be teed off and sitting there waiting for me if I was the only one walking.

During the summer months in the Arizona desert, walking is pretty much out of the question.  Good way to get dead when it's 110-120 degrees.  We ride, soak our heads all day and drink lots of water.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Note: This thread is 3267 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!