IGNORED

2016 U.S. Open at Oakmont Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2808 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dustin's birdie, great to behold.  Lowry playing defensively it seems, but he's earned that right. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, pumaAttack said:

Lowry is 1st and 2nd in putting and short game this week.

Please explain again how important long game is... :whistle:

The horse is dead and buried.  Move on, please.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Just now, krupa said:

The horse is dead and buried.  Move on, please.

All move on when the winner stops being great in short game and putting each week...

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

5 minutes ago, pumaAttack said:

Lowry is 1st and 2nd in putting and short game this week.

Please explain again how important long game is... :whistle:

Yeah cause Lowry is hitting it like crap ;-) The guy is also leading by 4 so he's most likely doing everything well this week.

I guarantee you the guys that missed the cut weren't hitting a bunch of greens.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

7 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Joe Buck and the rest of them need to talk more just so Azinger will have less opportunity to say more dumb shit.

I can't believe I'm agreeing that Joe Buck should talk more, but... yes.

1 minute ago, Aflighter said:

Drive for show putt for dough.....and  trophy.

Eh, drive for the trophy.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

8 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

So do you agree with Azinger when he just said about the dumbest thing I've ever heard ...

"Everybody makes the same amount of tee shots and the same amount of second shots so the only way to separate yourself is around the green."

Good lord is that idiotic.

Joe Buck and the rest of them need to talk more just so Azinger will have less opportunity to say more dumb shit.

Every PGA player hits the ball well off the tee and with their long irons each week, it's what they do around the greens that determines the winner.

Tony  

Oy, that bunker shot by Landry.

3 minutes ago, pumaAttack said:

Every PGA player hits the ball well off the tee and with their long irons each week, it's what they do around the greens that determines the winner.

Unless the rules have changed since I followed it far more actively, the winner is determined primarily by who gets the ball in the holes with the fewest strokes over 72 iterations.  The long game is the prime contributor to doing so with fewer;  they're far more clustered in putting and short game than they are in ball striking.

• Upvote 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

3 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Yeah cause Lowry is hitting it like crap ;-) The guy is also leading by 4 so he's most likely doing everything well this week.

I guarantee you the guys that missed the cut weren't hitting a bunch of greens.

I think my point has been misinterpreted. 

Of course you have to drive the ball really well.  You also have to hit your approach shots well. 

But that alone won't WIN any tournaments.   You have to be REALLY GOOD at scrambling and putting that week to win. 

Tony  

Two shot swing on #2 and Dustin is now within 2. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

That second green is just silly. Feel a bit for Landry, Spieth, Westwood and all the others who've found it so tough. Gotta wonder if they'd have taken driver had they seen the carnage taking wedge causes beforehand.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

1 minute ago, b101 said:

That second green is just silly. Feel a bit for Landry, Spieth, Westwood and all the others who've found it so tough. Gotta wonder if they'd have taken driver had they seen the carnage taking wedge causes beforehand.

I think if I were a TOUR player, I'd hope to play these courses before the tournament begins ;-)

(just teasing:  I know what you meant)

-- Michael | My swing! 

6 minutes ago, pumaAttack said:

I think my point has been misinterpreted. 

Of course you have to drive the ball really well.  You also have to hit your approach shots well. 

But that alone won't WIN any tournaments.   You have to be REALLY GOOD at scrambling and putting that week to win. 

Putting your ass off alone will also not WIN any tournaments.....think that is what shindig is saying

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

1 minute ago, Shindig said:

I think if I were a TOUR player, I'd hope to play these courses before the tournament begins ;-)

(just teasing:  I know what you meant)

It was the Landry bunker shot that really pushed it over the edge in my mind. Granted, he shouldn't have been in there, but there's no way that should end up not just off the green, but racing off the green! 

But yeah, they should know not to mess with that pin

• Upvote 1

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

And now Landry on #3 is going to have an awful par attempt.  Poor guy. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

If Landry keeps struggling that could definitely be some bad vibes for Lowry.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

2 minutes ago, atb5079 said:

If Landry keeps struggling that could definitely be some bad vibes for Lowry.

Maybe, but Lowry has a killer wedge game and strikes me as a level-headed guy. If he falls away, it won't be because of Landry.

2 minutes ago, Shindig said:

And now Landry on #3 is going to have an awful par attempt.  Poor guy. 

Feel for him; bar the drive on 3, he hasn't made one particularly good swing today. Not been great from that first drive onwards.

2 minutes ago, b101 said:

Feel for him; bar the drive on 3, he hasn't made one particularly good swing today. Not been great from that first drive onwards.

And 30 seconds later! 

Edited by b101
mucked up quoting

Note: This thread is 2808 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!