IGNORED

Putting stroke - The ball or the hole

CCC
Note: This thread is 2903 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was on the practice putting green tonight and I just could not hit any 6 footers. So, I resorted to my old trick of looking at the hole instead of the ball. Sure enough, every putt started going in the hole. Even the misses were close. Short putts and even the 40 footers.

Back in the days when I was playing a lot (10 years ago), my putting was so bad that I started putting looking at the hole instead of the ball. Unfortunately, this trick did not hold up under pressure. But tonight, it was working like a charm.

I found it very interesting that Jordan Speith is using this technique in his putting. For him, it depends on the distance of the putt. It's been a long time since I've ever heard of anyone else using this putting technique. I guess I'm going to have to give it a try - again. And see how it goes.

What I would like to know, is there anyone else out there that is doing this? Or has even tried it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have heard of some other pros doing it. I've never tried it, but that doesn't mean the idea isn't valid. Sometimes you can get "ball bound" and this is one way to break that pattern.

• Upvote 1

Neither I look just in front of the ball. I'm not thinking target only stroke and a good one means my eyes don't influence my body. I read it, line it up and let it go. 

• Upvote 1

Dave :-)

2 minutes ago, Dave2512 said:

Neither I look just in front of the ball. I'm not thinking target only stroke and a good one means my eyes don't influence my body. I read it, line it up and let it go. 

This would never work for me. Looking at the hole tells me how far I have to hit the ball and the direction. Looking at a blade of grass in front of the ball just gives me the direction I need to hit it.

Your good read of the needed stroke is giving you speed and distance to the hole. I'm still working on my read.

Maybe, looking at the hole during the stroke is just a shortcut to (not) having to rely on my read of the stroke and trying visualize it in my head during my swing.

I pick a spot I am trying to reach. contour and slope play a part. The read could mean speed says hit it a cup right and to a brown spot 9" short knowing the contour and gravity gets it there. To my eyes the path between the ball and hole is rarely that straight forward. 

• Upvote 1

Dave :-)

I do the looking at the hole method sometimes just for the heck of it. No particular reason. Maybe out of boredom? Never the less, it is a good way to putt for some. "Whatever works that day" is my motto when it comes to golf.

99% of the time I just roll the ball over a spot about 1foot in front of the ball, I have settled on as my target. I use 1 foot because I can see the ball, and the spot. A lot of times, my "spot" target is not inline with the hole. 

My gamer putting head weighs in at 500 grams. On really fast, upscale greens, I might use a lighter putter, which is the only change I might incorporate. 

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I can see how looking at the hole could be an effective method of freeing up the stroke on a shorter straight putt.

I can't see how it would work on a breaking putt though. If you are aiming 3 feet right or left of the hole, but looking at the hole, seems like it would be hard to start the putt on line consistently.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Dave2512 said:

I look just off to the side as I do with every shot I ever play tee to hole. I line everything up then look off to the side which is a trigger to just trust my swing or stroke. I don't even need to think about it now. Definitely helps stop hitting at the ball when you're not even looking at it. 

• Upvote 1

I look at the ball until well after impact.  That works well for me, so I never had any reason to try anything different.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 6:33 PM, CCC said:

What I would like to know, is there anyone else out there that is doing this? Or has even tried it.

I have over the years putted looking at the hole at times.  In my case however this has worked well when I am struggling with distance (three putts due to poor lagging)  but has never worked for me on shorter putts.  But I believe this technique relieves some tension that you can create when looking at the ball. Makes for a smoother putting stroke and is a good way to practice.

• Upvote 1

Butch

I just heard the announcers say that Andrew Loupe looks at the hole when putting. Well, at least "under certain circumstances". I'm sure they will be asking him more questions about this putting technique.

So, I'm not the only one who has tried this. :)

A lot of pros will look at the hole and putt, but typically never all the time.  I'm not sure why they don't do this more often as it's the more natural way we aim anything.  For me, looking at the hole has been a significant stroke saver with my short putts.  Anything inside 10 feet, I look at the hole.  Outside that, I mostly look at the ball, but not always.  It's got to feel right.  If you don't believe looking at the hole is more accurate and reliable, try this exercise.  Take two golf ball on the practice green and place them about 3 feet apart.  Stroke the first one into the other with enough force to knock the target ball at least 3 to 4 feet away.  Repeat.  Try this a dozen times while looking at the target ball as if it was the hole.  Then try it a dozen times using the more traditional method of looking down at the ball you are stroking and not looking at the target ball.  I think you will find your answer quickly as to which method is more accurate and consistent.  As an added benefit, when you do putt to a cup, it will look to you like a bushel basket. 

• Upvote 1

Short putts (3 feet or less) I look at the hole, long putts I pick a point where I want to roll the ball over but look at the ball.  

Joe Paradiso

(edited)

It is amazing how looking at the hole, when putting, frees up your putting stroke. If only I could have that stroke when I'm looking at the ball instead of the hole.

Edited by CCC
I needed to lose a "stroke". :)

Note: This thread is 2903 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!