IGNORED

PGA Tour Players Not Marking Balls when In Position to Assist Another Player, #Backstopping

CCC

11 hours ago, Vinsk said:

If one player is 150yds out, strikes his ball next to the hole and the next player is 90yds out and the ball is just behind the hole and he plays his shot (not expecting the other player to walk the 150yds to mark his ball) we wouldn't suspect backstopping.

and yet they'd fist bump - even a numb ape knows that

the actions after the shot is hit doesn't matter, just the communications that went before.  any mindreading aside, interpretations of following actions is just armchair quarterbacks selfrighteously patting themselves on the back and looking for additional validation where extra is not needed.  Clearly calling off Jutanagarn from marking is sufficient, the rest is fluff.  Overkill in this case just makes one not want to listen to the bluster..

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, rehmwa said:

Clearly calling off Jutanagarn from marking is sufficient, the rest is fluff. 

Well apparently not. And it’s not ‘fluff.’ It’s supporting evidence. What you call sufficient ( and I agree) they defended saying ‘ I only called her off to keep the pace of play going.’ I’m simply saying the fist bump sure as hell wasn't to celebrate their courageous attempt to successfully play faster. Not sure why you’re getting so worked up over this calling me self righteous and patting myself on the back. Hell you even agree they breached the rule. And Erik made a good point in saying they wouldn’t have done this in a Match play which is pure speculation but obviously true from any reasonable person. Olsen lied in her statement. Period. I’m not concerned about this to a point where I feel my righteousness is in danger nor do I give a rat’s ass about any validation. It’s just a discussion so take it easy.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
1 hour ago, The Recreational Golfer said:

But it appears they are not.

We know they aren’t. JT, Jimmy Walker, etc. have admitted as much.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 3/1/2019 at 8:51 AM, iacas said:

Who f***ing cares about Twitter? Half the responses I saw saying "no penalty" or "that's a stupid rule" also said things like "if she could aim at and hit a ball why not just aim at the hole?" - Completely missing the f***ing point and using bad logic to do it.

I wouldn't say it got "murky" - I would say the LPGA Tour botched it.

That or I'm just completely wrong and that you can just make up a reason and so long as you don't say "to help her or him" then you get away with it.

Another version of "reasonable" would be "if the players were in match play, would anyone suggest/insist that they mark their ball."

I just watched the video and I can't even imagine a more egregious display of backstopping. With the ball removed, Olson was probably 10+ feet past the hole.

hen the fist bump after just makes it even worse and who cares what their actual intent was. When they did that I heard in my head 'Hey we just f***ed the field ha ha'.

Jeff

In the bag:
:callaway: Epic Max 9.0 Project X Cypher 40 R 5.5
:tmade: R11S 3 Fairway
:ping: G425 4 & 5 hybrid 6-PW :cleveland: RTX 56 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2

I don't recall seeing this one previously.  They played it during the broadcast of today's tournament.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• Administrator

That qualifies too. Definitely.

Backstopping doesn't have to be behind the hole to provide an advantage.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 3 weeks later...

Bjeergard (sp?) just left his ball unmarked in a spot to help Kuchar, and this is match play.......the horror

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

1 hour ago, BallStriker said:

Bjeergard (sp?) just left his ball unmarked in a spot to help Kuchar, and this is match play.......the horror

Sergio told him to do it.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• 9 months later...

Not sure if that’s an Am or not, but yikes. 

• Like 2

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I don't think he can use pace of play as an argument. I bet Knox spent a few minutes surveying his shot.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Edited by Vinsk

• iacas changed the title to Kevin Na and Blatant Back Stopping
  • 2 weeks later...

About twenty years ago I was playing in a Better Ball match. I was off to the side of the green and my partner's ball was about four feet from the cup. He had hit his shot from about 70 yards away and he wasn't anywhere near the green to mark it when I was ready to play. The thought went through my head that it was possible that my ball could hit his and stay close but it's not like I aimed for his ball, I was aiming at the cup. I hit his ball and mine went in the hole for birdie and we won the hole. I don't think I did anything wrong.  

Bill M

29 minutes ago, phan52 said:

About twenty years ago I was playing in a Better Ball match. I was off to the side of the green and my partner's ball was about four feet from the cup. He had hit his shot from about 70 yards away and he wasn't anywhere near the green to mark it when I was ready to play. The thought went through my head that it was possible that my ball could hit his and stay close but it's not like I aimed for his ball, I was aiming at the cup. I hit his ball and mine went in the hole for birdie and we won the hole. I don't think I did anything wrong.  

You did absolutely nothing wrong.  In match play, your opponents had the opportunity to have that ball marked, to FORCE you to have the ball marked before you played.  That they allowed you to play with the ball right there was a mistake on their part.  That's a primary different between match and stroke play, in match play a player (or team) can protect itself, in stroke play the FIELD cannot do the same thing.  That's why its such a big deal in stroke play tournaments when a player does something that can help another player, that can give that other player an advantage that nobody else might have.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

17 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

That's why its such a big deal in stroke play tournaments when a player does something that can help another player, that can give that other player an advantage that nobody else might have.

Which is why they all just do the backstopping. You look like an ass If you stop to go mark your ball. It shouldn’t be that way.