IGNORED

More Career Majors- Day, Rory, or Spieth?

skydog
Note: This thread is 2466 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Career Majors  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the most majors in their career?

• Jason Day
    • Jordan Spieth
    • Rory McIlory

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

Since it's not yet listed, for those of us who don't have it memorized:

Rory McIlroy has 4 majors and just turned 27.

Jason Day has 1 major and is 28 1/2 years old.

Jordan Spieth has 2 majors and is a couple of months shy of 23.

I vote McIlroy.

Wow - forgot that McIlroy has 4 already! Can I change my answer? :-D

Considering how hard it is to win even one major, that's an almost insurmountable advantage in the race.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, chspeed said:

Can I change my answer? :-D

LOL ... actually it looks like, yes, you can.  Just click "show vote options" and it erases your previous vote and you can switch.  (I just voted for all three to test the theory ... but I made sure to end up back on McIlroy) :-P

For fun, I decided to try to reach an answer based on probability. I started with the the betting odds of the "big three" at the majors in the past year. I've published those odds at the bottom.

Using those betting odds, I have calculated the expected number of majors to be won by each of these players during their careers.

Of course, I had to make a few assumptions and adjustments:

1. Each player will be a major contender only until they are 40. Statistically, this seems pretty sound considering the odds of winning after they're 40 are slim. (see my table in my previous post)

2. Each player will play: 4 majors a year until they're 30, 3 majors a year from age 31-35, and 2 majors in the final five years. I think this is realistic because of injury, qualifications, and lifestyle changes that may limit their schedules.

3. I am using the average betting odds for each player of winning a major in the past year. This works until they're 35, but is too optimistic for ages 36-40. So after 35, I've cut their odds in half (which is in keeping with the previously discussed odds of winning at certain ages). I am assuming that betting odds are a realistic representation of "actual" odds.

4. I've rounded majors up if over 0.5, down if less.

So, here are the projections:

Name (age)     Current     Until 30            31-35           36-40   Projected Majors Won
Rory (27) 4      1.88 1.88 0.63 9       
Jason (28) 1      0.85 1.16 0.39 3       
Jordan (22) 2      5.25 2.25 0.75 10       

Discussion: Obviously, Jordan is helped by his odds of winning a major in the past year, while Jason is hurt both by his age and his lower betting odds. In the end, I think this is a believable, if optimistic, result. I'm also very happy I changed my vote from Jason to Rory!

Data: Published Betting Odds (src: http://golfodds.com/)

2016      2015         
           Masters           PGA    Open Ch.        US Open
Rory   1/8   1/12              N/A   1/6
Jason   2/13   1/12   1/25   1/30
Jordan   1/9   1/6   1/5   1/8

12 minutes ago, chspeed said:

3. I am using the average betting odds for each player of winning a major in the past year. This works until they're 35, but is too optimistic for ages 36-40. So after 35, I've cut their odds in half (which is in keeping with the previously discussed odds of winning at certain ages). I am assuming that betting odds are a realistic representation of "actual" odds.

4. I've rounded majors up if over 0.5, down if less.

So, here are the projections:

Name (age)     Current     Until 30            31-35           36-40   Projected Majors Won
Rory (27) 4      1.88 1.88 0.63 9       
Jason (28) 1      0.85 1.16 0.39 3       
Jordan (22) 2      5.25 2.25 0.75 10       

I would adjust your odds to be more current. Right now Jason is at a 14-15% rate to win the US Open. I can see that rate extending for the next two years. 

As of right now Spieth is 7/1 at the US Open. That is only about 12% odds. Let's say he stays at 10-12% till he's 30. He'll have about 30 more majors. At 10-12% he's at 3 major wins, not 5.25. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

I voted for Rory. He has a reasonably large lead.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

17 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I would adjust your odds to be more current. Right now Jason is at a 14-15% rate to win the US Open. I can see that rate extending for the next two years. 

As of right now Spieth is 7/1 at the US Open. That is only about 12% odds. Let's say he stays at 10-12% till he's 30. He'll have about 30 more majors. At 10-12% he's at 3 major wins, not 5.25. 

Fair enough, but I used an average, and current us open odds (which may change) would only move the needle a little. Of course, everything about these odds are very changeable, but we can only predict using what we know right now.

Edited by chspeed

Rory has a two-major lead at this point, but in terms of age, Jordan has four-plus years to close that gap.  I would bet that Jordan wins at least two majors in the next four years.

That said, I voted for Rory, for two reasons: first, he's been around longer, with a proven track record; second, he is so explosive (I sometimes forget watching him play that he hits it basically as far as DJ) that you have to figure he can work the other stuff (putting woes) out and dominate.

• Upvote 1

- John

10 hours ago, chspeed said:

I think that's unlikely. If you look at the list of players who have more than 5, it's pretty short, only 13 golfers on it. Since 1960, only 7 have done it.

1 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Jack Nicklaus 1962–1986 6 4 3 5 18
2 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Tiger Woods 1997–2008 4 3 3 4 14
3 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Walter Hagen 1914–1929 0 2 4 5 11
4 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Ben Hogan 1946–1953 2 4 1 2 9
4 23px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.png South Africa Gary Player 1959–1978 3 1 3 2 9
6 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Tom Watson 1975–1983 2 1 5 0 8
7 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Gene Sarazen 1922–1935 1 2 1 3 7
7 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Arnold Palmer 1958–1964 4 1 2 0 7
7 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Sam Snead 1942–1954 3 0 1 3 7
7 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Bobby Jones 1923–1930 0 4 3 0 7
7 23px-Flag_of_Jersey.svg.png Jersey Harry Vardon 1896–1914 0 1 6 0 7
12 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Lee Trevino 1968–1984 0 2 2 2 6
12 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England Nick Faldo 1987–1996 3 0 3 0 6

I actually think that seven guys getting there since 1960 is more of a sign that at least two of Spieth/Day/McIlroy will crack the five-major barrier.  (And if you count five majors exactly, this list is even longer with Phil, Seve and Peter Thomson.)  It's only been since 1960 that the idea of the "four majors" has really existed --- before that, it was common for most of the top U.S. players to skip the British or maybe even the PGA given the elongated format.  Likewise, top international players sometimes played only the British Open every year.  There is no doubt in my mind that if the 'top players play all four majors' mindset had been around since the 30's, obviously Hogan, Snead, Nelson, etc. would have way more major wins.

Then again, who knows.  Golf is such an unforgiving sport that for all we know, maybe NONE of these guys will ever win another major title.  Unlikely, sure, but not impossible.  Maybe they'll all win more majors but someone like, say, Martin Kaymer will end up with more than any of them.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, chspeed said:

I think that's unlikely. If you look at the list of players who have more than 5, it's pretty short, only 13 golfers on it. Since 1960, only 7 have done it.fa

I just think they have show the consistent level of strokes gained in their long game to contend in any major over the next 5-6 years, more so with Spieth and Rory. There hasn't been many golfers between Tiger and Rory who have had such dominating long games on a consistent basis. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I would think you'd have to go with Speith because of that putter.

But lets face it, those three guys may never win another major. We cant tell the future. A lot of people figured Tiger would have 20 something majors by now and that never happened. 

I voted Rory. I just think his A game is better than anyone else's. Now if only he could find it again. 

Speith has a steadiness to his game that will certainly serve him well, but I don't his A game can hang with Rory's (or Day's for that matter), distance matters, especially over the long haul. 

As long as they all win more than Bubba, I'll be happy. 

:-P

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

23 hours ago, iacas said:

I voted for Rory. He has a reasonably large lead.

Same here. It takes a very special player to win five or more majors, and Rory's at four already.

That said, I can see Rory being on the short end of any head-to-head battles between him and the other two.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

On 5/17/2016 at 11:48 PM, Broke100Once said:

I actually think that seven guys getting there since 1960 is more of a sign that at least two of Spieth/Day/McIlroy will crack the five-major barrier. 

After doing the math here, I agree.

I think Day is going to win more short term, but age will catch him before the other two.  Between Spieth and Rory I take Spieth because....Murica?

• Upvote 2

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 9:56 PM, Hardspoon said:

That said, I voted for Rory, for two reasons: first, he's been around longer, with a proven track record; second, he is so explosive that you have to figure he can work the other stuff (putting woes) out and dominate.

Rory won the Irish Open today with a 273-yard approach onto the 16th green, and a 252-yard approach (to two feet) on the 18th...just sayin'.

- John

• 4 weeks later...

They could all win two more majors each be known as world class,  make the hall of fame and never come close to the list. Rory's closeness noted. After Tiger is put into the hall of fame, is there anyone truly hall of fame worthy sitting out there. Els and Mickleson already in. Some dubious honorees like Monty and Couples.  A long way to go for sure. But none of the current big names are there yet. Hope they all do and fight over every one.  Makes for exciting viewing

On 6/16/2016 at 0:11 AM, gatsby47 said:

They could all win two more majors each be known as world class,  make the hall of fame and never come close to the list. Rory's closeness noted. After Tiger is put into the hall of fame, is there anyone truly hall of fame worthy sitting out there. Els and Mickleson already in. Some dubious honorees like Monty and Couples.  A long way to go for sure. But none of the current big names are there yet. Hope they all do and fight over every one.  Makes for exciting viewing

Goosen will get in. If Couples makes it than Furyk sure as hell deserves to. 

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Note: This thread is 2466 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!