IGNORED

Playing a Round of Golf Solo

boil3rmak3r
Note: This thread is 2736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I play a lot of afternoons by myself. Lots of times playing 2 balls one for what I should do and one to prove to myself that I am not a superhero capable of threading a ball thru a 4' opening in a tree. I have learned that conservative play is much lower scoring than superhero or even just plain hero. I have learned to do a lob shot and chip with a 7i or a hybrid. I play with a guy who hits out of traps with a putter and is more consistent and closer to the  pin than most people with a sandwedge.

Remember you are "playing" golf, playing golf like a kid will make you a better golfer when you do keep score

18 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Really, you are going to say that people don't naturally play slower when they are in a competition and are trying to win? They guys in my league don't even really play by the rules and still play slow because they are trying to win. Play with them outside of league and they play much faster.

No.  I play in tournaments at least once a month (2 day event this weekend as a matter of fact), with fairly large fields (120 and up), and even the last group usually finishes in under 4½ hours.  I was near the back on Saturday 3 weeks ago and we finished in 4:21.  On Sunday I was in the  second group out and we came at 3:55 playing with different 3 guys.  

Again, it's usually just players who aren't used to playing by the rules who have to slow down and think about everything before they take action.  That or it's like the PGA Tour and there is no meaningful penalty for slow play.  The tournament Men's Club I'm in has a slow play policy on our hard card, with a 2 stroke penalty attached for a breach.  That gets the players' attention fast.

When you are in the habit of playing by the rules, you don't see anything different between tournament and non-tournament play.  It's all just golf to you.  I can assure you that I'm trying to shoot the lowest score I can every time I play, so why should I be slower just be cause it's a competition?  Nothing else has changed.

5 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

They play "winter rules" which is an amalgamation of preferred lies in addition to other miscellaneous "league rules" like treating OB as water hazard with a drop plus one stroke, club length free drop from under trees, etc. They get angry at me for playing by the actual rules all the time.

I'd tell them what to do with it, or find a different group to play with.  I hate that sort of ignorance.  In my Tuesday league, we play team against team scramble, so there is no pretense about the rules for that.  If it was regular stroke play, I'd have a problem with playing loose with the rules.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

They play "winter rules" which is an amalgamation of preferred lies in addition to other miscellaneous "league rules" like treating OB as water hazard with a drop plus one stroke, club length free drop from under trees, etc. They get angry at me for playing by the actual rules all the time.

they have no more business giving you a hard time than you do harassing them about how they play - don't bet with them and it's no one's business if you guys are playing under differing assumptions

I've even played with people and hit from different tees - seriously, it's none of their business

It's very annoying how golf has so many busybodies - how can they even hit their own ball when they spend so much time worrying about everyone else's performance.  It's like spoiled siblings....

I'd not play with them if they are being pissy about it

Bill - 

Also don't think it's entirely due to pressure the guys in league typically shoot higher than usual scores. The regulars I know that tell me they shot 79 Sat afternoon are on the results email with a 50 next to their name the next Wed.

Dave :-)

31 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Really, you are going to say that people don't naturally play slower when they are in a competition and are trying to win?

Not sure about him, but I'll absolutely say that.  This might be true about some people, including your league buddies, but it's not true about a lot of people either.  I don't play any slower in competition than in casual rounds because I'm trying my best in all of my rounds to score the best.  It's not like I'm playing polo in a casual round or skipping any necessary step (getting a yardage, reading a break, etc) so why would I need to add anything onto that in a competitive round?  Doesn't make sense.

No doubt some people do that - but those people are hurting themselves one way or another. (Either playing too slowly in the tournament, or playing too carelessly the rest of the time)

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I think you forgot about the mandatory beer at every tee box? :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

54 minutes ago, Dave2512 said:

IMO people being loose with rules during casual rounds is what creates slow play in our men's league. When the score "counts" they crawl around the course because they aren't accustomed to it.

I generally agree...   I stopped playing in a league I was in a few years ago b/c we were playing 9 holes in 2:45 on average.  It was brutal.  I think there's a difference, though, between folks that NEVER play by the rules, and folks (like me) who just struggle to play as a single and not partake in practicing...  I agree that the folks that NEVER play by the rules will likely be slower when they have to obey all rules.  Having said that, I've seen plenty of other golfers just creep along at a snail's pace because they think "league golf" is like being on the PGA tour playing for millions. 

9 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I know you were being funny, but there is some truth to this in the league I was in...

8 minutes ago, boil3rmak3r said:

I generally agree...   I stopped playing in a league I was in a few years ago b/c we were playing 9 holes in 2:45 on average.  It was brutal.  I think there's a difference, though, between folks that NEVER play by the rules, and folks (like me) who just struggle to play as a single and not partake in practicing.

I think the guys in our league play by modified rules in casual rounds and the ignorance I've witnessed suggests they probably don't know how to proceed at times. I was asked lots of questions last season. A common question is where to drop and not understanding the difference between red and yellow hazards. Much of it could be cleared up if the season opening meet and greet had a rules refresher instead of being a beer social.

Personally I really enjoy playing a solo round, especially when the course is empty (which is rare but does happen on occasion).  I used to be very bad about playing by the rules during my solo rounds, however, this year I told myself that I'm not helping myself at all by not taking my medicine for lost balls, poor shots, etc.  Funny, I actually find it harder now to play by the rules when I play with some of my friends, many of whom are VERY generous with their stroke counts (but that's another topic altogether).

8 minutes ago, Dave2512 said:

I think the guys in our league play by modified rules in casual rounds and the ignorance I've witnessed suggests they probably don't know how to proceed at times. I was asked lots of questions last season. A common question is where to drop and not understanding the difference between red and yellow hazards. Much of it could be cleared up if the season opening meet and greet had a rules refresher instead of being a beer social.

Yeah, pretty common.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

2 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Yeah, pretty common.

It's crazy because the guys asking it play 50 rounds a year I see them every week.

56 minutes ago, Lihu said:

:offtopic: but I can't resist: A pair of guys once let me play through, explaining that they were a little slow because they were playing a bottle a hole. They were just making the turn to start the back 9. :beer:

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

1 hour ago, Missouri Swede said:

:offtopic: but I can't resist: A pair of guys once let me play through, explaining that they were a little slow because they were playing a bottle a hole. They were just making the turn to start the back 9. :beer:

Not really off topic, because after the 12th-14th holes I'm not so sure they'll be able to find each other, and there will likely be 2 solo players meandering the course (assuming they still have their clubs). :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

3 hours ago, rehmwa said:

they have no more business giving you a hard time than you do harassing them about how they play - don't bet with them and it's no one's business if you guys are playing under differing assumptions

I've even played with people and hit from different tees - seriously, it's none of their business

It's very annoying how golf has so many busybodies - how can they even hit their own ball when they spend so much time worrying about everyone else's performance.  It's like spoiled siblings....

I'd not play with them if they are being pissy about it

I can't avoid playing with them. I play in the league to spend time with my father so I deal with them to have time with him. I tell them all the time that they can play however they like but I play by the rules.

3 hours ago, Lihu said:

They go through probably at least a 6 pack each in the 9 holes, at least. So yeah, you aren't too far off. On top of that most of them smoke weed so I have to put up with smelling that crap the whole time too. The things I put up with to spend time with my father, I tell you!

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

• Administrator
6 hours ago, kpaulhus said:

I just played 18 on an "extended" lunch break (hour and a half) and shot 90 from the back tees. 

I play by the rules. I posted the score. If the USGA has a problem with that then they better find a better way to govern it. I make the decision right before I tee it up whether this is a practice round or a real round. Once I say its real, its getting posted whether its good or not. 

The two bold sentences are in conflict with each other. (I'm assuming this was a solo round, of course.)

Your score is, by the rules, no more legitimate than if you turned in a score you made up or a round in which you played multiple balls, used a non-conforming club, etc.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

The two bold sentences are in conflict with each other. (I'm assuming this was a solo round, of course.)

Your score is, by the rules, no more legitimate than if you turned in a score you made up or a round in which you played multiple balls, used a non-conforming club, etc.

I'm not sure conflicting each other is correct. Him posting the score doesn't negate that he played by the rules. Now, if he said "I follow the rules, and I'm posting the score" then they would conflict with each other. I understand your point, but just saying :whistle:

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

(edited)

Back on topic...  @iacas, I'm curious to here from a pro.  If you go out alone, is it tough for you to not want to do a little practice during the round?

Edited by boil3rmak3r

14 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

I'll have to admit to a bit of ignorance here. It never occurred to me that hitting a second ball that doesn't count was against the rules. I don't do it very often, but after a horrendous short-game shot, I may drop a second ball and see if I can do better.

Is the thought process that the feedback I might get from chipping a second ball going to help me later in the round? Hardly ever bares out that way.

Yeah it counts as practice. Something I do sometimes, because I'm trying to teach myself different shots.

But you can hit practice putts and chips on the green: http://www.pga.com/news/golf-buzz/can-chip-or-putt-between-holes

Kevin

Note: This thread is 2736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!