IGNORED

2016 Mets World Championship Thread

Groucho Valentine
Note: This thread is 2754 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just now, Groucho Valentine said:

In no small part due to former mets great Daniel Murphy. 

At last we agree on something.  What was Mets management thinking?

2 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

Are they the best team in the National League? No, the Cubs are. Are they the best team in the NL East? Ask me in a month.

I think it was Bill Parcells who said "you are what your record says you are".  At the moment, the Cubs are clearly the best.  But that's about a third of the way through a very long season.  Four long months to go.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, DaveP043 said:

At last we agree on something.  What was Mets management thinking?

I think it was Bill Parcells who said "you are what your record says you are".  At the moment, the Cubs are clearly the best.  But that's about a third of the way through a very long season.  Four long months to go.

it came down between Cespedes and Murphy. The Mets preference was always with Yo. We all knew murphy was going to be too expensive for the Mets after the postseason he had. And he might be the worst defending middle infielder in all of professional baseball, so the value didn't add up. They made a smart move with Neil Walker, who has replaced much of Murphy's production. Plus he's better defensively. 

I agree with the Parcells correlation to the Mets.

The Cubs are 39-16... That's a pace to be 62-26 at the break... 116-46 at the end of the year... (roughly).

The Mets are 31-24... They would go 92-70 on that pace... The Nats are on pace for roughly 99-63. That's why I said ask me in a month if the Mets are the best team in the division... June has a tendency to show who is for real and who is pretending.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

27 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

it came down between Cespedes and Murphy. The Mets preference was always with Yo. We all knew murphy was going to be too expensive for the Mets after the postseason he had. And he might be the worst defending middle infielder in all of professional baseball, so the value didn't add up. They made a smart move with Neil Walker, who has replaced much of Murphy's production. Plus he's better defensively. 

With a Let's Go Nats avatar I don't think you're qualified to speak on behalf of the Mets or their fans.  :whistle:

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

On 5/31/2016 at 8:13 PM, jamo said:

This is a lot of fun to watch. On one hand, you have the losingest (word I just made up) franchise in ... the history of sports? On the other hand, a team that's been a complete laughingstock for nearly their entire existence. 

I think I have to give the ignominious crown to the Phillies. Founded in 1883 and they only have two World Series. Yowzers. 

After quoting you I realized that you said "in the history of sports". In the history of sports since 1999 the "losingest" franchise would have to be the Cleveland Browns. As a long suffering Browns fan, I know that only too well!

On 6/1/2016 at 0:33 AM, PhxHacker said:

Football? Is that  the game where every 40 seconds of clock time there's a 6 second play run? The sport with less regular season games on the schedule than a hockey preseason? 

Football? Is that the sport where there's no contact allowed between the sidelines, the sport that frowns upon celebration of a score. The sport with 32 franchises but only 17 professional QB' s on the continent?

You know, I like football, especially pro football, but a lot less than I once did! It's been timed out and studied, and no pro sport has more "dead time" in the game than pro football. I'm reminded of the rant that Andy Rooney did at the end of "60 Minutes" about pro football. He like to watch his NY Giants on TV. Someone talked him into actually going to a game because "there's nothing like being there"! So, he shells out a buck and a half for a seat, freezes his ass off, and spends most of his time, as he put it, "watching millionaires standing around!"

That was quite a few years ago. Now, with the new rules, replays, and challenges, watching an NFL game is getting closer to watching a legal proceeding than a sporting event!

On 6/1/2016 at 1:23 PM, phan52 said:

Only a matter of time before Papelbon does his magic again and fractures the Nats.

Papelbon? I'm amazed he's still in the game! He's as washed up as Joe Piscopo!

7 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

After quoting you I realized that you said "in the history of sports". In the history of sports since 1999 the "losingest" franchise would have to be the Cleveland Browns. As a long suffering Browns fan, I know that only too well!

I just meant straight loss count. The Phillies have lost more games than any baseball team, and since MLB teams plays so many games, I'm assuming that they've probably lose more games than any team period.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

16 hours ago, jamo said:

I just meant straight loss count. The Phillies have lost more games than any baseball team, and since MLB teams plays so many games, I'm assuming that they've probably lose more games than any team period.

I see. I'm guessing Phillies fans and Browns fans have much in common. The main things being disappointment and frustration.

On 6/7/2016 at 6:31 AM, jamo said:

In all fairness to the Phillies they have existed since 1883 and spent a long time as the 2nd team in the city until the Athletics moved.

What's in the bag:
Taylormade R15 
Callaway X2Hot pro 3W
Callaway X2Hot pro 20* hybrid
Mizuno JPX900 Tour 4-PW
Cleveland RTX 2.0 50,54, and 58 degree wedges
Taylormade White Smoke putter

12 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Emperor of cool Colon dominates the MLB beasts known as the Brewers last night in 7 strong. Is there anything he cant do? 

I'm not all that impressed by one win over a sub-500 team.  Heck, I'm not impressed by one win over anyone, not when there are 100 games left in the season.

But apparently Colon has a real tough time pushing himself away from the dinner table.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

5 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm not all that impressed by one win over a sub-500 team.  Heck, I'm not impressed by one win over anyone, not when there are 100 games left in the season.

But apparently Colon has a real tough time pushing himself away from the dinner table.

That ballast gives him an extra 3 mph on his fastball. Easy. 

4 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

That ballast gives him an extra 3 mph on his fastball. Easy. 

I know I've spoken of my own belly as a "leverage muscle" for the golf swing.

Dave

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Emperor of cool Colon dominates the MLB beasts known as the Brewers last night in 7 strong. Is there anything he cant do? 

Awfully quiet when they went 1-2 against the Pirates, eh? Let's see… can you get to 110 wins if you go 1-2 all year? Or even 3-2 every five games? Hmmm… 3/2 * 162 = 97.

.559 * 162 = 91.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)
On June 10, 2016 at 9:01 PM, iacas said:

Awfully quiet when they went 1-2 against the Pirates, eh? Let's see… can you get to 110 wins if you go 1-2 all year? Or even 3-2 every five games? Hmmm… 3/2 * 162 = 97.

.559 * 162 = 91.

Yes. 

Doubting the Amazins can only lead to one outcome. 

MrMet_zpshrei4ov3.jpg

Edited by Groucho Valentine

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 10:52 AM, Groucho Valentine said:

Well actually, i never technically agreed to anything. It looks like your boy iacas made that decision unilaterally. Im not talking about integrity on the internet. How silly. 

Translation: I am welching on the bet. What would you expect from a Mutts fan?

Bill M

Note: This thread is 2754 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!