IGNORED

2016 NCAA Golf Championships

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 2746 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Caught some of the coverage. Holy cow, there's a lot of pregame before you see shots.

Beau Hossler's bunker putt.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So Hossler is playing (and not playing - conceding). 

What's in the rules then?  Why don't they use alternates?  Seems silly.  If he had felt compelled to play (and his coach let him), he could have ruined his whole career.

and - congratulations Zach, I'm sure not playing in the championship match was everything you ever hoped it wouldn't be (this sucks for both players, and both teams) - they all deserve to compete.  I'm sure this kid will be graceful about it, but I feel the most for young Foushee (maybe more for him than Hossler who at least has a reason to withdraw) - who deserved to play also.

MWSnap 2016-06-01, 15_31_59.jpg

MWSnap 2016-06-01, 15_41_26.jpg

Bill - 

That was exciting. I will make a point to watch more of this next year. i would like to see the teams play on the weekend. If this were going on during the weekend, I think there would be much more interest.

34 minutes ago, xcott said:

That was exciting. I will make a point to watch more of this next year. i would like to see the teams play on the weekend. If this were going on during the weekend, I think there would be much more interest.

I think they don't want to compete with the PGA tour for the golf viewership, which is why they finish it up on a Tues and Wed.

It was exciting to watch, I always enjoy college golf.  The passion those guys show is second to none.  However, Hossler not being able to play put a bit of a damper on the team championship.  I find it crazy that you can't use an alternate in a case like that.  His par from the bunker while putting on Tuesday was incredible.

Really dumb that Texas couldn't replace Hossler. I'm sure he feels like crap today, but it was also the right decision to not play.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

16 minutes ago, tigerrag said:

I think they don't want to compete with the PGA tour for the golf viewership, which is why they finish it up on a Tues and Wed.

It was exciting to watch, I always enjoy college golf.  The passion those guys show is second to none.  However, Hossler not being able to play put a bit of a damper on the team championship.  I find it crazy that you can't use an alternate in a case like that.  His par from the bunker while putting on Tuesday was incredible.

Agreed.  If they're playing on the weekend then they're fighting for viewers against the pro tours (or they're showing it delayed at night)

Pretty exciting finish, happy for Oregon but was rooting for Texas just to spite how painfully slow that Raza guy was.  I was yelling at the tv a few times. ;)

• Upvote 1

Enjoyed watching the last two weeks... good year for the Pac 12.

Congrats to both the men and women.

John

2 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Agreed.  If they're playing on the weekend then they're fighting for viewers against the pro tours (or they're showing it delayed at night)

Pretty exciting finish, happy for Oregon but was rooting for Texas just to spite how painfully slow that Raza guy was.  I was yelling at the tv a few times. ;)

And Funk was fast too, right? Or was it just fast by comparison to Raza?  I liked Funk's style somehow and found myself rooting for him.

Funk's mom got a lot of coverage too!

Wise (NCAA individual champ) must've breathed a sigh of relief. He lost big in the finals, I think. His team came through.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

So I was bored out of my mind last night, and out of desperation I turned on Golf Channel and watch the snails play out the NCAA championship. I mean, their pace of play made Jordan Spieth look super fast by comparison. The dude that sunk the winning putt needs to be pulled aside by some coach, some where, and have a stern talking to about how slow he is. A conversation along these lines is in order, "Dude, you play incredibly too slow. If you don't pick up your pace of play, I'm gonna kick your ass." Sulman Raza is his name, and I can't imagine that anyone has bothered to say anything to him about this issue, or anything else for that matter.

I about turned off the TV about 4 or 5 times, but I really had nothing else to watch or do last night, so I tortured myself with this garbage.

You see how this works with me? I'm not discussing anything else about this match, except pace of play. You don't get my congrats, or any compliments or discussion about anything else until you pick up your pace on the golf course.

Now I do give credit to Taylor Funk. His Dad must've taught him right, as he stepped right up and hit his shots, hit his putts. I don't blame him or Texas for any of this. Frankly, I think the dude at Oregon was using his pace of play as gamesmanship to screw with Funk. Are there no penalties assessed for this sort of garbage?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RandallT said:

Wise (NCAA individual champ) must've breathed a sigh of relief. He lost big in the finals, I think. His team came through.

Watch the match, that wasn't lost.  Scheffler outright won that particular match (how many birdies?).  There's a difference.  Wise should be proud of his effort the entire time.  Heck of a golfer.

3 vs 2 with a conceded point by the highest ranked amateur in the comp being the swing - I bet both teams would have preferred to play all 5 matches.  As good or bad as it was, this championship has an * next to it.  They need to allow alternates.....goofy

Pace of play on the greens - sucked.  Announcers - not as bad as Ninja Warrior, but pretty bad.  Still too much "Golf Shot", "golf this", "golf that" - hey, we know

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

1 hour ago, RandallT said:

And Funk was fast too, right? Or was it just fast by comparison to Raza?  I liked Funk's style somehow and found myself rooting for him.

Funk's mom got a lot of coverage too!

In the interview afterwards he said he was 2 under when the match closed out.  So he didn't so much as "lose big" as he "got beat." :)

Too bad Hossler and the other guy didn't get to play their match.

Edit:. Lol, prolly should have read @rehmwa's post before writing mine.  He said the same things.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, rehmwa said:

Watch the match, that wasn't lost.  Scheffler outright won that particular match (how many birdies?).  There's a difference.  Wise should be proud of his effort the entire time.  Heck of a golfer.

4 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

In the interview afterwards he said he was 2 under when the match closed out.  So he didn't so much as "lose big" as he "got beat." :)

Too bad Hossler and the other guy didn't get to play their match.

Edit:. Lol, prolly should have read @rehmwa's post before writing mine.  He said the same things.

Good point. Bad wording. I was impressed by Wise, and didn't intend to imply he stunk it up. I thought he looked like a great player actually. The thought I was trying to make poorly was that Wise, NCAA individual winner, did not win either in the semis or the finals of the team matches (4&3 in the finals), so he must've been relieved his teammates pulled through. (with the bold as the main point, not the loss)

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I felt Terrible for Ben........   he seems like a great kid and to forfeit?   what the hell!!!!!!?????????????

I don't know the rules, but if a player is injured on ANY team sport, there is always a substitute that can come in to play for them.   Why could texas not play their #6 man in replacement of Ben for the finals?  

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

• Administrator

You can't have alternates because, what, you could swap someone out if they're not playing well.

The team is the team. No changes.

(And really, injuries are pretty darn rare in golf…)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

14 minutes ago, iacas said:

You can't have alternates because, what, you could swap someone out if they're not playing well.

The team is the team. No changes.

(And really, injuries are pretty darn rare in golf…)

Agree that it's not really an issue because of your last paragraph, but I disagree that it would be a big deal to be able to substitute for players on teams who aren't playing well.  That's kinda how team sports work.  And one thing I've noticed is just how very much about the teams these competitions are.

After the hole, they don't say "Hossler 3, Wise 4, Hossler goes 1 up."  They only say "Texas 3, Oregon 4, Texas goes 1 up". The actual player isn't really relevant.

• Administrator
Just now, Golfingdad said:

Agree that it's not really an issue because of your last paragraph, but I disagree that it would be a big deal to be able to substitute for players on teams who aren't playing well.  That's kinda how team sports work.  And one thing I've noticed is just how very much about the teams these competitions are.

The "team" in golf is five players. It's not 8, or 10, or 15. Or even 6.

Five.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

The "team" in golf is five players. It's not 8, or 10, or 15. Or even 6.

Five.

I'm not disputing what the current rules are.  Just pointing out that that is all they are ... The current rules.  They've only been doing match play for 8 or so years.

Note: This thread is 2746 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!