IGNORED

Your worst golf bargain

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 2901 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

@paininthenuts asked a good question concerning our best bargain or deal related to golf.  Let's look at the flip side.  What seemed like a good deal or bargain but turned sour rather quickly?  That $500 driver that was going to change your life but got retired after 3 rounds.  The 1/2 price round at the best venue in the State that you had to play in the rain, shot 126 and that took 6 hours.

Mine is pretty easy.  I wanted a "2-Ball Putter."  After carefully watching eBay I placed my sights on the putter I needed.  Using recommended strategies I successfully bid upon the putter & won the auction.  When the putter arrived, the seller's online name "LASouthpaw" suddenly made sense.   :facepalm

• Upvote 2

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My worst bargains have been "golf get aways". There have been a few times my wife and I have gone to golf resorts based on their advertisements, only to find their advertisements were not accurate. 

I am sure I have purchased equipment that turned out to be a waste of money. Probably a purtter or two. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Worst was a doz Volvik DS77 balls. They feel like rocks and they cost too much

I don't buy many clubs because I tend to stick with something and 'make' it work for me after I've done research, so I don't have any sour stories there.  I'd say that the Callaway uPro GPS I had was probably the worst bargain.  I won it at a year-end awards banquet after paying $1800+ throughout the season to play with the club.  

I was excited about it, but it only worked for 2 years before Callaway stopped supporting it and I could no longer download courses.  

Beyond that... I don't have too many golf related purchases or investments that have gone wrong on me.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

A $300 putter I bought.... While the alignment aid on it really helped, my back still hurt after about 5 minutes of putting practice. When my back got sore, my stroke went to hell. 

It's $60 replacement is working out just fine.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

A cheap Acuity stand bag, the bottom piece busted open in just a few months.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

P3ProSwing! 

I bought it about 5 years ago thinking it would help me practice indoors.  It's really more of a toy than anything else and I stopped using it pretty quickly.  Not before I bent the shaft of one of my irons with a super fat shot that hit the base of the machine, though, lol.  

I'm kinda stingy, though.  I haven't really bought that much golf stuff - so the P3ProSwing was the worst out of not that many purchases.     

Golf can be an obsession in terms of equipment, so my worse bargain this past offseason was stock piling several boxes of Golf Balls.  I over did it ten fold...duh.

I bought a golf hitting net that wasn't pain to set up. I rarely have ever bought clubs new and research the heck out of things before I buy. I guess I'm OCD that way! ?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I have had many bargains, but alas a few mistakes have been made on the way. I needed a five wood, so I went on ebay. There was a Callaway Fti nearly new, in immaculate condition with head cover. There was less than a minute to go, and it was only £33. I didn't have time to do any research on the club, but guessed it was probably worth over £100. I quickly put in a bid of £35 and won it. Only then did I have time to read about what I had bought. I wanted an 18* club with a reg flex shaft, and bought the pro version, which was 14* with a stiff flex. I attempted to strike the ball 3 times with it, and never managed to get the it off of the ground. Fortunately I managed to sell it without a loss. 

I then replaced with an older Callaway FT with the correct specification, but still couldn't use it. Again, I sold it at no loss. I ended up spending £2 on a Dunlop club from a bricabrac sale, and I strike the ball wonderfully with it

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

5 Unique golf clubs on E bay

Chipper, E-club, Wedge, Putter and Pure Spin driving iron

I keep them around as reminders

When I first became really serious about golf I started to get heavy into buying equipment on eBay.   I had read about how great Mizuno irons are (which they are) so I outbid everyone ($525) for a set of MP-57 irons.  I couldn't wait to hit get my hands on them and when they finally arrived I went right to the range to test them out.  

They were obviously too much iron for my crappy golf swing and the feedback (pain) from poor shots would just shoot through my arms.  I went through a large bucket of 80 balls trying to love them the way everyone said I should but it wasn't meant to be.  I tried them a few more times after that first day but the results weren't much different.  I ended up trading them in and lost about $300 on the golf life lesson.  

Joe Paradiso

The first driver I bought was a $200 dollar Callaway Hyper X. The bad part was the guy at the store had me hit balls in the back and my swing speed was around 93 mph. He said I was in between a stiff and regular flex so I picked the stiff thinking that of course my speed would be 100 in a few months. Lesson learned, I struggled with that thing for 4 years until I saved and replaced it with an r7 in regular flex that I hit way better.

• Upvote 1

Really had to scrounge to think of something...  I bought a Taylormade driver that was an "X-out". Apparently one that didn't pass the QC at TM. I don't recall that it was stated on the ebay auction either. Obviously it's defect was that it overly sliced the ball...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Note: This thread is 2901 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!