IGNORED

Ireland Trip coming up soon

Note: This thread is 2860 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In two week, I'll be leaving for Ireland, for a two-week visit.  I had looked at one week originally, but my darling wife suggested that since I turned 60 early this year, we could make this a birthday celebration and spend a second week.  And I never argue with my wife!  We're going with another couple.  The other woman doesn't play golf, but enjoys walking with us lots of the time, so she'll join us on the course most days.

So we'll be flying through Boston overnight to Shannon.  Our first day on the ground may very well be the toughest, we'll be driving about 6 hours north to Ballyliffin.  On the plus side, we'll have 4 people, 3 of whom will be authorized drivers, and we'll be switching off regularly.  We'll stay 3 nights in Ballyliffin,  playing both golf courses there.  Then its a relatively short (3 hours maybe) drive to Enniscrone, just west of Sligo town.  Again, 3 nights stay, playing at Enniscrone and Carne.  I've read that these two courses are built among some of the highest dunes in all of Ireland.  

Leaving Enniscrone, we'll have about 5 hours driving to Killarney.  I've been to this part of Ireland before, this is the part of Ireland most commonly visited by golfers.  We're staying at a place that's been featured on Matt Ginela's segment on Morning Drive, the Killeen House.  We'll play at Tralee, Ballybunion Old, and Waterville, and even have an entire day off for sightseeing.  Then off to our last stop, 3 nights in Ennistymon, just 2 miles or so inland from Lahinch.  We'll play Lahinch, and have one last day free for sightseeing (or more golf, who knows), and the next day head for home.  

I'm going to do my best to update this thread during my trip, to post fresh impressions of the golf course, the hotels and pubs and restaurants.  I'm really looking forward to this trip, lots of great golf, time with friends, and the craic in the pubs.

• Upvote 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

In two weeks, I'll be leaving for Ireland, for a two-week visit.  

Cool!  Your itinerary takes in the places in SW Ireland I got to visit back in 2006, plus a lot more.  Good luck with the driving; I doubt I would have the fortitude to take on some of those narrow, stone wall lined goat tracks.

Brian Kuehn

Just now, bkuehn1952 said:

Cool!  Your itinerary takes in the places in SW Ireland I got to visit back in 2006, plus a lot more.  Good luck with the driving; I doubt I would have the fortitude to take on some of those narrow, stone wall lined goat tracks.

I took my first trip there in 2004 with a bunch of buddies, and loved it so much that I went back in 2006 with my wife.  Both times, we stayed mostly in the SW, so that will almost feel like going home.  The first week is all new to us, so will be quite an adventure.  Driving isn't really bad, just gotta take our time.  It IS interesting driving a manual there, shifting left-handed, but I drive a manual every day at home.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

Hi Dave 

Sounds like you've a great itinerary planned. 

Having (and still working in hospitality) for the last 25 years may I suggest some stuff? Please feel free to ignore it :-)

- when driving always ask for your destination in time.  As in how long will it take me to get from X to X . 100km on a "R" road takes far longer than 100km on a motorway! 

- embrace our culture . We're pretty laid back but it doesn't mean we won't take care of you.  Don't look for foodstuffs or drink you get at home.  So no ice tea or ranch dressing! !

- Tip! Tipping is always welcome! 

- Don't assume country pubs take credit cards.  Cash is king. 

- Depending on the course.  You may end up walking it.  Most of the bigger clubs now have heaps of carts but walk it if you can.  

-  Enjoy it! !

1 hour ago, mikkav said:

Hi Dave 

Sounds like you've a great itinerary planned. 

Having (and still working in hospitality) for the last 25 years may I suggest some stuff? Please feel free to ignore it :-)

- when driving always ask for your destination in time.  As in how long will it take me to get from X to X . 100km on a "R" road takes far longer than 100km on a motorway! 

- embrace our culture . We're pretty laid back but it doesn't mean we won't take care of you.  Don't look for foodstuffs or drink you get at home.  So no ice tea or ranch dressing! !

- Tip! Tipping is always welcome! 

- Don't assume country pubs take credit cards.  Cash is king. 

- Depending on the course.  You may end up walking it.  Most of the bigger clubs now have heaps of carts but walk it if you can.  

-  Enjoy it! !

Thanks, @mikkav, I always appreciate good advice.  This will be my third visit to Ireland, so I think I'm prepared for most things.  I do remember the roads, I know we won't be averaging 100 kph for any of our journeys.  I've based my driving times in the initial post on the AA Routeplanner, and allowed a little extra.  No matter what, we'll make sure we have plenty of time to get to the golf courses on time, and the rest of the travel really isn't being done to a schedule.  I do remember the need for cash in the pubs, in town or out in the country, its just cumbersome to pay for a round with a credit card.  I'm prepared to walk every round, and happy to do it.  I may consider a trolley on some of the hillier courses, but I carry my bag at home quite a bit.  Tipping in Ireland isn't to the same level as in the States, but its still important.

But the big thing is the bold part, that's the most important thing to remember wherever you travel.  If I wanted things to be just like home, I'd stay home.  I loved being in Ireland, meeting Irish people, eating and drinking Irish food and drink, and soaking up the environment, and I'm really looking forward to this upcoming visit.

Dave

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

In two week, I'll be leaving for Ireland, for a two-week visit.  I had looked at one week originally, but my darling wife suggested that since I turned 60 early this year, we could make this a birthday celebration and spend a second week.  And I never argue with my wife!  We're going with another couple.  The other woman doesn't play golf, but enjoys walking with us lots of the time, so she'll join us on the course most days.

So we'll be flying through Boston overnight to Shannon.  Our first day on the ground may very well be the toughest, we'll be driving about 6 hours north to Ballyliffin.  On the plus side, we'll have 4 people, 3 of whom will be authorized drivers, and we'll be switching off regularly.  We'll stay 3 nights in Ballyliffin,  playing both golf courses there.  Then its a relatively short (3 hours maybe) drive to Enniscrone, just west of Sligo town.  Again, 3 nights stay, playing at Enniscrone and Carne.  I've read that these two courses are built among some of the highest dunes in all of Ireland.  

Leaving Enniscrone, we'll have about 5 hours driving to Killarney.  I've been to this part of Ireland before, this is the part of Ireland most commonly visited by golfers.  We're staying at a place that's been featured on Matt Ginela's segment on Morning Drive, the Killeen House.  We'll play at Tralee, Ballybunion Old, and Waterville, and even have an entire day off for sightseeing.  Then off to our last stop, 3 nights in Ennistymon, just 2 miles or so inland from Lahinch.  We'll play Lahinch, and have one last day free for sightseeing (or more golf, who knows), and the next day head for home.  

I'm going to do my best to update this thread during my trip, to post fresh impressions of the golf course, the hotels and pubs and restaurants.  I'm really looking forward to this trip, lots of great golf, time with friends, and the craic in the pubs.

Good luck Dave! I look forward to photographs (if you are going to..) upon your return.  

Vishal S.

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Sounds like a blast Dave.  Hope the weather cooperates for you.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Dave you sound like the perfect guest!  Don't be insulted if  you're asked when you're going home!  It's just the way we are.  It's all about filling in your time the best we can. 

38 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Good luck Dave! I look forward to photographs (if you are going to..) upon your return.  

I'll defintely be taking photos, not sure how often I'll get the posted during the trip, but for sure will get some up after.  Might even put a bunch on Flickr or some other platform, and post a link here.  Here are a few from 10 years ago:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/69064243@N00/albums/72157594185710518

13 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

Sounds like a blast Dave.  Hope the weather cooperates for you.

Weather will be whatever it is, I'll be prepared.  It'll definitely be warmer than Stoneleigh and Springfield in April were.

Dave

Just now, DaveP043 said:

Weather will be whatever it is, I'll be prepared.  It'll definitely be warmer than Stoneleigh and Springfield in April were.

Definitely shouldn't be colder, maybe more rain instead of the snow.  Hopefully not as windy.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

What's the weather like in Maine in July?  Will you catch both days of summer?

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, the day is here, we leave DC at about 3 PM, and arrive in Shannon Ireland early tomorrow morning.  We'll be beat by the time we get to Ballyliffin after 5 or 6 hours driving, but I'll try to check in Monday after playing, hopefully with some photos.

Dave

Have safe, great trip. Enjoy the golf. :-D

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

59 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Finally, the day is here, we leave DC at about 3 PM, and arrive in Shannon Ireland early tomorrow morning.  We'll be beat by the time we get to Ballyliffin after 5 or 6 hours driving, but I'll try to check in Monday after playing, hopefully with some photos.

Let me know if you need a ride to the airport! Have a great trip, Dave. Say hi to the amazing wife- that extra week she suggested was quite award-winning material!!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

32 minutes ago, RandallT said:

Let me know if you need a ride to the airport! Have a great trip, Dave. Say hi to the amazing wife- that extra week she suggested was quite award-winning material!!

Thanks, Randy, that's a really generous offer, but we're all set this morning.  And yes, she is amazing (and knows it), but I'll pass on your kind words.

Dave

Whew, we made it!.  Although I'll tell you all, flying overnight and then driving 5 hours on the left side of the road will tire a person out.  We managed to stay awake til around 8 PM, so we only went 30 hours or so with only an hour or two sleeping on the plane.

Ballyliffin is a lovely small, or maybe extremely small town in the northernmost part of Ireland.  We're staying at a very nice modern 13-room hotel called the Ballyliffin Townhouse.  We got here around 12:30, checked in, had a bite of lunch, a stop at the golf club to make our arrangements, some more driving, dinner, and bed.  11 hours sleep, and we're in good shape and on local time.

Today we played Ballyliffin Old, built in the 1940s, I think, and without moving any dirt apparently.  There was not a single level lie in any fairway, just a succession of humps and dips and mounds.  Its hard to capture this is a long-range photo, but this ppicture of my buddy Rick and his wife Lisa gives you an idea.

DSCN1144 small.JPG  They did smooth the greens a little.  The turf is firm, the greens medium-fast, and the rough wasn't extremely dense.  The weather was lovely, short-sleeve weather, and we got done just as the first few drops of rain were falling.  And then I got my reward.

DSCN1152 small.jpg

Finally, a view from the opper level of the clubhouse, looking up the first fairway.  Its hard to see it, but there's a whole lovely golf course out there.

DSCN1154 small.JPG

• Upvote 4

Dave

36 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

And then I got my reward.

Yea, I'll pop one tonight and pretend we're toasting the good life .....:beer:

37 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Ballyliffin is a lovely

My most favorite golf course of all the course's I've been fortunate to play.

#17 was my favorite hole.....

Here's to a great trip you are having .....   :-)

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Just beautiful. One year ago yesterday, I was playing Ballybunion and your pics are making me want to get on a plane right now! Have a great trip.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Note: This thread is 2860 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!