IGNORED

Orlando Gay Night Club Shooting

iacas

Note: This thread is 1907 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A tragic loss of lives for no reason.  This is a very different world than our parents grew up in.  My thoughts and prayers go out to all the friends and families of the victims.  

When will the media learn to stop rushing to report details that aren't verified and that Americans cannot legally buy "assault rifles" (defined as full automatic weapons) anywhere in the country.  The AR in AR-15 does not stand for "Assault Rifle".  It stands for the company that developed it, ArmaLite Rifle.  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, newtogolf said:

A tragic loss of lives for no reason.  This is a very different world than our parents grew up in.  My thoughts and prayers go out to all the friends and families of the victims.  

When will the media learn to stop rushing to report details that aren't verified and that Americans cannot legally buy "assault rifles" (defined as full automatic weapons) anywhere in the country.  The AR in AR-15 does not stand for "Assault Rifle".  It stands for the company that developed it, ArmaLite Rifle.  

Can we please not turn this into a NRA rally.

This is the 18th time President Obama made a speech after a mass shooting.

We’re 164 days into 2016. We’ve had 133 mass shootings.

9 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

Can we please not turn this into a NRA rally.

Sorry if I believe the media should be held accountable for the reports they deliver.  

When tragedies like this occur, I always try to think of what can be taken from the events that could trigger the collective will of this country into making progress against the status quo. The fact that my takeaway from what is simultaneously the worst mass shooting in American history, the worst hate crime in American history, and the worst terrorist attack on American soil since 9/11 is, "maybe GLBT people will be allowed to donate blood now," speaks to my lack of optimism whether anything is going to change as a result of what took place in Orlando.

That's all I want to say about it today.

It's such an unbelievably disturbing act and tragedy.  What has really been on my mind today is how each time something like this happens, it's less and less shocking, to the point where I have to stop and remind myself that there was a time that this would really have hit me hard.  If I'm being honest, it no longer does, at least not to the same extent.  And that's terrifying.

Tried to rename this spoiler, couldn't figure it out. Might be considered political so I chose to hide it.

I know it's often considered poor taste to talk about anything that could be considered political in the immediate wake of tragedies such as this, but I think we owe it to the victims to do whatever we can reasonably do to prevent this from happening in the future.  And, I really think/hope we can agree on this.

According to the press conference earlier today, this guy was investigated by the FBI multiple times for suspected involvement with terrorists.  We have a no-fly list that usually applies to such people.  I don't know for sure if he was on it, but if he was (and from the sounds of it, he should've been), for the love of God, why do these people not also get flagged in the NICS database?  We're OK with holding up a person's constitutional right to travel freely in the name of national safety but not their right to own a firearm?  I hope that can change.

Edited by drmevo

Yup. Here we go again....

Another asshole shoots up a place full of people. Pages upon pages of arguments no different than the other threads of similar nature to ensue. Let's not let it get to that point and focus on what is the real tragedy:  that someone believed people should not be allowed to pursue their version of happiness that harms no one and found a way to to take lives in hatred.  My condolences to the families of all the victims  

6 hours ago, jamo said:

I've sat on this all day and still don't know what to say. It's tragic, unnerving, and unendingly sad.

Too many crazy people out there ... what can we say or do when something like this happens?   As long as there are mentally ill people, things like this will continue to happen.

• iacas locked this topic
Note: This thread is 1907 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!