IGNORED

2016 British Open at Royal Troon Discussion Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 2845 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9 minutes ago, RandallT said:

Post-round interview, Spieth says on 16, he was aiming 60yds left and hoping the wind would bring the ball back to the fairway.

He looked like he was aiming way left all day and cut across his line pretty much every time. Didn't help that he had his 'head off' moment after the eighth.

P.S. Sunday looks fun!

weathertroon.png

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

BBC's recap coverage of Sky's broadcast is amazing. So many shots. No commercials. No CEOs. No blimps. No tv show promotions. No saccharine video essays. Reporters reporting, not trying to inject themselves into the tournament. US networks, all of you, your coverage sucks.

Just saw Justin Rose top a 3W from the rough and throw his club 30 yards forward.

• Upvote 2

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Rejoice, golf fans! NBC is bringing back the greatest sports theme ever for the British Open

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/rejoice-golf-fans-nbc-is-bringing-back-the-greatest-sports-theme-ever-for-the-british-open

I love this piece and I'm not a Yanni fan.

Steve

25 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

BBC's recap coverage of Sky's broadcast is amazing. So many shots. No commercials. No CEOs. No blimps. No tv show promotions. No saccharine video essays. Reporters reporting, not trying to inject themselves into the tournament. US networks, all of you, your coverage sucks.

Just saw Justin Rose top a 3W from the rough and throw his club 30 yards forward.

Alas, networks show fluff to engage less 'serious' followers of golf. I just wish we could see less 'live' green-reading and more full swings or recovery shots on all broadcasts.

Kevin

Interesting that they have this feature under their "News and Video" heading: Rulings of the Day

Friday (http://www.theopen.com/News/News/2016/07/The-Open-Ruling-of-the-Day-Round-2)

There were a couple of interesting rulings involving ball markers during round 2 at Royal Troon.

The first involved the halfway leader, Phil Mickelson at the 12th hole. When picking up his marker from behind the ball, Mickelson very slightly touched his ball with the marker and in doing so caused it to move. The walking referee advised him that as he had been fully in control of the marker when the ball was touched and moved, the movement of the ball was considered to be directly attributable to the specific act of lifting the ball and there would be no penalty (Rule 20-1 and Decision 20-1/15).

Mickelson was told to replace the ball on the spot from which it moved, however the ball would not come to rest on that spot. The player was then directed to try to replace the ball again on the spot, but when the ball still did not come to rest, he then had to find the nearest point where it would come to rest (Rule 20-3d).

Thursday(http://www.theopen.com/News/News/2016/07/Ruling-of-the-Day-Round-1)

Colin Montgomerie had the honour of hitting the opening tee shot of The 145th Open at Royal Troon today.

On the 16th hole, Montgomerie was a little lucky his ball did not run into the burn, which crosses the fairway. His ball came to rest just outside the yellow lines of the water hazard such that his left foot would be on the portion of the bridge inside the hazard line. A man-made bridge is considered to be an immovable obstruction and a player is entitled to relief if he has interference to the lie of ball, area of intended swing or stance (Rule 24-2). The referee walking with the match offered Montgomerie the option of taking relief from the bridge; however, as he was on a good lie he decided to play the ball.

If, however Montgomerie’s ball had lain inside the yellow lines of the hazard but on the bridge he would not have been entitled to any free relief. In that situation, he would have to either play the ball as it lay or take relief under penalty under the water hazard Rule (Rule 26-1). He would, however have been entitled to ground his club on the bridge inside the water hazard. This is as per the Note to Rule 13-4.

Montgomerie bogeyed the 16th hole but he finished the round at level par and will start the second round eight strokes behind first round leader Phil Mickelson.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

People giving grief to Billy Horschel for wearing his hat backwards on 18... jeez.. who cares! He stood up and defended himself, good for him!

• Upvote 1

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Looking at the hourly forecast tomorro, looks like once again Phil will dodge the worst conditions. Looks like it's gonna be bad in the morning and midday and then lighten some in the afternoon.

26 minutes ago, saturday said:

People giving grief to Billy Horschel for wearing his hat backwards on 18... jeez.. who cares! He stood up and defended himself, good for him!

What did Billy say in his defense? I missed it.

22 minutes ago, Natural Patrick said:

What did Billy say in his defense? I missed it.

Told everyone to get over themselves and that he turned it around because it was raining hard and dripping off the bill of his hat. Just can't stand it when people start losing their minds over such a small thing. The snobbiness of golf sure knows how to show it's teeth some days.

• Upvote 1

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Haven't read this thread since this morn cuz I'm watching now on DVR, so this may have been mentioned, but felt compelled to say that Mike Tirico is the best host I've ever heard.  He's the best golf announcer, the best football announcer, the best basketball announcer, he's just the best there is.

Been a pleasure listening to him today. He brings a sense of professionalism and decorum to the Golf Channel that it wouldn't otherwise have.  Not a knock on em, there's quite a few I like, but Tirico adds a touch of class that simply wouldn't be there otherwise.  And he doesn't even have a British accent.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

21 minutes ago, Gunther said:

Haven't read this thread since this morn cuz I'm watching now on DVR, so this may have been mentioned, but felt compelled to say that Mike Tirico is the best host I've ever heard.  He's the best golf announcer, the best football announcer, the best basketball announcer, he's just the best there is.

Been a pleasure listening to him today. He brings a sense of professionalism and decorum to the Golf Channel that it wouldn't otherwise have.  Not a knock on em, there's quite a few I like, but Tirico adds a touch of class that simply wouldn't be there otherwise.  And he doesn't even have a British accent.

I definitely agree with you about his announcing skills. My favourite is still Nantz but Tirico is fantastic. One other thing I noticed about his commentary is that he is fair and objective, not very opinionated. A great add to Golf Channel. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Gunther said:

Yah, big fan of NBC's move to pick Tirico up. I wrote something about how good he was a couple pages back when it came up briefly about the coverage for this tournament. I think NBC right now has one of the best teams we've seen covering this event. 

Just now, saturday said:

My favourite is still Nantz but Tirico is fantastic.

I used to like Nantz, but I've done a 180 over the years. Hard to say why- I think it has been his overly reverential/emotional bits that he hams up. I like Tirico and Gannon. Just straightforward setups of discussions with the experts around them. 

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

1 minute ago, RandallT said:

Yah, big fan of NBC's move to pick Tirico up. I wrote something about how good he was a couple pages back when it came up briefly about the coverage for this tournament. I think NBC right now has one of the best teams we've seen covering this event. 

I used to like Nantz, but I've done a 180 over the years. Hard to say why- I think it has been his overly reverential/emotional bits that he hams up. I like Tirico and Gannon. Just straightforward setups of discussions with the experts around them. 

Yeah, you're right about Nantz slowing it down and getting kinda sappy at times but I absolutely love it lol. Also, can't think of anyone else covering the Masters. A more on topic note, the Open for some reason doesn't have that European feel this year to me not sure why.. could be all the non-English announcers... lol

Tirico has definitely passed Nantz. The latter's problem is that he feels too often that he's telling the story of x championship. No, the pictures are telling the story. You're a narrator. Tirico gets this. 

"Sappy" is a perfect term to describe Nantz. He's the annoying Uncle who wants to say something before Thanksgiving dinner about the past year while all you're thinking is **** off, pass the ****ing cranberry sauce, bitch.

• Upvote 2

"Witty golf quote."

1 minute ago, Aguirre said:

Tirico has definitely passed Nantz. The latter's problem is that he feels too often that he's telling the story of x championship. No, the pictures are telling the story. You're a narrator. Tirico gets this. 

"Sappy" is a perfect term to describe Nantz. He's the annoying Uncle who wants to say something before Thanksgiving dinner about the past year while all you're thinking is **** off, pass the ****ing cranberry sauce, bitch.

:~( Tell us how you really feel about Jimmy Nantz!

2 hours ago, saturday said:

Told everyone to get over themselves and that he turned it around because it was raining hard and dripping off the bill of his hat. Just can't stand it when people start losing their minds over such a small thing. The snobbiness of golf sure knows how to show it's teeth some days.

I've never been a fan of Horschel, though. He's a bit immature. I remember back in the day when he acted like a child on the course and curse a lot, I used to hate it. He's gotten better, but he still has his moments.

Note: This thread is 2845 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!