IGNORED

Driver leaks right with inside-out swing

Note: This thread is 2546 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi,

I have an inside-out swing where my irons go pretty well, but my drivers leak right (fade at best, slice at worst).

Trackman says my swing path is about 6 degrees inside. With the irons I have about 2-3 degrees open club-face, which makes pretty straight shots.
But with the driver I have 4-6 degrees open club-face, which is the reason for my leaks.

I guess my hands are not quick enough to square the club-head, but what can I do to fix it?

Thanks on beforehand!

Is your swing path the same for the driver? 

I recommend posting video of your swing and create a My Swing thread. It's hard to say what is wrong with out seeing your swing. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll bet you are outside in on your driver. A push would be possible but fade and slice unlikely with your description.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

6 degrees in to out swing and 4 degree open face is nice draw. 6 degree open face is a push right. Your club face needs to be more open than the swing path to fade or slice.

27 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

I'll bet you are outside in on your driver. A push would be possible but fade and slice unlikely with your description.

You can swing in to out and slice. A really nasty, starts right and keeps going right, slice.  

53 minutes ago, barnum1 said:

Trackman says my swing path is about 6 degrees inside. With the irons I have about 2-3 degrees open club-face

And these would be also be draws, not straight.

I guess, lot's of things are possible but your best bet is to get on-plane (well, more on plane).. i.e., path square to target line + square face. A good instructor's help is in order for something like that.

Barring that, attempt to square club face at or near impact by trying to twist face square is a recipe for a two way miss.

Lastly, if you are interested only in a slight tweak then you can always strengthen grip a bit on driver so that you don't have to attempt to square. i.e., preset the clubface closed to path like your irons. You can hit push draws all day like that.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

6 degrees in to out swing and 4 degree open face is nice draw. 6 degree open face is a push right. Your club face needs to be more open than the swing path to fade or slice.

You can swing in to out and slice. A really nasty, starts right and keeps going right, slice.  

Si. Assuming all the number are relative to target line.

Vishal S.

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Not sure how this is possible unless the club face is open 30° and slides off the end of the driver

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Thanks for the comments.

I agree @Pete, 4-6 degrees open face and 6 degrees inside-out should give a push/push-draw,
but those were the trackman numbers. Now I'm confused :~( Guess I need to do a re-test.

About the stronger grip, I have tried that but it didn't seem to help. The only thing that looks promising is to really concentrate on getting my hands "over" at impact. But that is not adviced, and I guess that's what you're pointing out @GolfLug.

1 hour ago, Valleygolfer said:

Not sure how this is possible unless the club face is open 30° and slides off the end of the driver

As long as the clubface is open to the path, your ball will fade. So even a path 8° right (which is excessively inside-out) can hit a push-fade or slice.

Ask me to show you sometime. :whistle:

54 minutes ago, barnum1 said:

I agree @Pete, 4-6 degrees open face and 6 degrees inside-out should give a push/push-draw,
but those were the trackman numbers. Now I'm confused :~( Guess I need to do a re-test.

Are you making heel contact?

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

@barnum1

Also, check your turning rates. Driver being the longest club is also the hardest to keep them up through impact. Irons less so. It's a common fault even for low cappers. Turning stalls and instinctively you want to flip the club close with hands but usually too late or you over cook it - result is a maddening 2 way miss.

Vishal S.

That's interesting @GolfLug. I think I do have a good body turn. I have a tendency to spin-out, but I guess the turning described in the video concerns the shoulder turn.

How is the turning rate defined? Club turn vs. hand or body turn?

28 minutes ago, barnum1 said:

That's interesting @GolfLug. I think I do have a good body turn. I have a tendency to spin-out, but I guess the turning described in the video concerns the shoulder turn.

How is the turning rate defined? Club turn vs. hand or body turn?

Unless you record your swing and see it on a screen... well, let's just say it never fails to surprise me as to what I think it looks like based on first person perspective and what it actually looks like from a third person perspective.  

Turning rates? - Yes, in short shoulder turn back and through. The green line across the shoulder in the two instances in the above vid demonstrates the differnece. Unless you can actually see it on vid like above... it's not happening as much as you think. Not saying you don't turn through well because I haven't seen your swing, but it is a common culprit - especially since you mentioned spin out.

Just FYI, on this forum we love to help each other and there is a lot of info that one can learn from but my favorite is the 'My Swing' thread. Lot of long standing members (including yours truly) have one. You will get a lot of help from lot more qualified folks than me if you start one. The search function will pull up lot of info if you want to learn more about 'turning rates'.

Good luck and stick around.

P.S. If you start a 'My Swing' thread, post it and be patient. Sometimes it takes a bit for folks to respond.

Vishal S.

22 hours ago, barnum1 said:

yeah check the trackman numbers again. I've used Trackman a lot and I everything stacks up. My guess is perhaps your iron swing is the 6 degrees in to out that you mention, but your driver swing is less than 4 degrees in to out?

I also wonder how your setup is.  With the driver, the tendency is to go a bit closed on the stance and can make it hard to get the face back to square of the path in your swing.  Could be mis-alignment of shoulders or a number of things.  Video is best way to address that or you could just use alignment sticks for yourself to eye it.  Another quick fix is to grip down on the grip a bit.  It'll drop the swing weight of the club which tends to make it easier to close the face and control the club head more.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Also re. setup. How much farther forward in your stance vs. irons do you tee the ball? Have you tried inching it back a bit.

I also would see if you have a tendency to hit off the back foot / tip your trail shoulder under with the driver thinking about or knowing that you want to 'hit up' on it.

Kevin

@phyllik: I did check alignment when doing the trackman test. 
Your hint about gripping down a bit sounds interesting, though. I'll try that.

@natureboy: I do place the ball against my left foot, but I would guess that inching it back would give me less time to square up the club?

Generally, as the club is coming down it's heading on an in to out path, hence why is it's easier to draw irons as they should still be on the way down when the contact the ball. OTOH if you're hitting up on the driver, as it ascends and "turns the corner" it starts heading left, so you either need to close the stance a little or learn to love the cut.

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 2546 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!