IGNORED

Calories burned golfing?

Machine528
Note: This thread is 2854 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just curious if this is accurate. I'm 210 lbs and walking with my bag will burn almost 2000 calories and riding in a cart burns over 1000.  Those numbers sound high ? 

Yes, that sounds high.

What was the source?

There are virtually unlimited online calculators for this...I tried two at random and neither came close to these numbers. 

- John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's not as high as you'd think.  You are walking multiple miles (3-7 depending on a variety of factors...possibly more), swing a club at the very least 55 times (lowest recorded score) and that is assuming you don't take any practice swings.  Also due to the time it takes to play a round of golf you are going to burn more calories just from time passing than you would in something that only takes 30 minutes to an hour.  I don't know if 2000 is completely accurate, but I know that on the right course walking 18 can quickly lead to weight loss, which would indicate a lot of calories burnt.

As for the numbers while in a cart, I have no clue.

EDIT:

Not 2000, but still 1442 is nothing to scoff at.

As one might expect, the most energy was expended while walking with a bag (721 calories burned for nine holes). But walking with a push cart was not far behind (718). Walking with a caddie burned 621 calories for nine holes, and riding in a cart still burned 411 calories on average.

A Little Scientific Research for All Those 19th Hole Debates

Edited by baller7345

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

I heard the 2,000 cal figure somewhere, but its a bit either way. The real problem is that the desire for beer after a round is massive. 

I kept pedometer numbers this season and averaged around 8 miles walking 18. A mile walked burns around 100 calories, so 800 calories give or take how much you weigh, weather, hills, etc...

If a marathon burns 2600 calories, I don't see how 18 holes burns 2000.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Walking a round of golf is typically 5 miles. For a 210lb person to walk 5 miles over 4 hours is around 785 calories. Carrying a 20lb bag bumps you up to 859 calories. Not sure how much swinging a golf club adds  but I guess it could be significant.

40 minutes ago, baller7345 said:

It's not as high as you'd think.  You are walking multiple miles (3-7 depending on a variety of factors...possibly more), swing a club at the very least 55 times (lowest recorded score) and that is assuming you don't take any practice swings.  Also due to the time it takes to play a round of golf you are going to burn more calories just from time passing than you would in something that only takes 30 minutes to an hour.  I don't know if 2000 is completely accurate, but I know that on the right course walking 18 can quickly lead to weight loss, which would indicate a lot of calories burnt.

A good point the net calories burned would be more like 420 after you subject what you would have burned simply resting for four hours.

3 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I kept pedometer numbers this season and averaged around 8 miles walking 18. A mile walked burns around 100 calories, so 800 calories give or take how much you weigh, weather, hills, etc...

If a marathon burns 2600 calories, I don't see how 18 holes burns 2000.

8 miles seems like a lot, are the holes set far apart at your home course?

• Upvote 1

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

21 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

Walking a round of golf is typically 5 miles. For a 210lb person to walk 5 miles over 4 hours is around 785 calories. Carrying a 20lb bag bumps you up to 859 calories. Not sure how much swinging a golf club adds  but I guess it could be significant.

A good point the net calories burned would be more like 420 after you subject what you would have burned simply resting for four hours.

I had always figured it close to 700-800. That's not bad. Lately I walk and carry (no cart, no push cart) only.

Vishal S.

29 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

No, I attribute it to army golf, looking for your ball, helping people look for their ball, walking ahead and walking sideways to stay out of the way of people behind, little things like that that add up.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I usually ride in a cart but my Fitbit will record around 4 miles of walking.  I've found you burn about 100 calories per mile on average walking.  

Joe Paradiso

Some golfers lose 2-3 pounds walking, which, I would guess most of that to be water in some form. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

The numbers are high but probably include BMR. I've worn pedometers, HRM's for years and golf doesn't add many calories to the day for anyone more active than a couch potato. Sitting at my desk my heart rate averages 82-92 on the course it's 95-105ish. Which is about the same as when I walk around the block.

Most days my total burn is in the 3800-4000 range with a good bit of cardio on top of golf. I wake up with about 600 or so just from sleeping midnight to whatever. If I ride my bike for an hour before work in the 135-155 BPM range when I check my gadgets at my desk I am just getting to 1100-1200.

Dave :-)

Note: This thread is 2854 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!