IGNORED

Accidentally hitting into people...

Slice of Life
Note: This thread is 2288 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For 99%, mistakes happen once in a while and most often when we are beginners. That said, I get pretty suspicious when it's someone that is a good, experienced golfer that just hit into someone. 

Some time ago, I joined a three-some that was stuck behind a four-hack logjam on the back nine of Community's Hills Course. The best among them was positively fuming over the slowpokes. Both carts seemed to roll back-and-forth across the fairway in front of us. After 10 minutes or so, the ace lost his temper. Teed one up and launched it over their heads and 100 yards past them. I thought he was messing around until he actually hit the ball. As it was, the hacks appeared to have no idea what-so-ever. There was no visible reaction.

The guy didn't do it again for the remaining four holes or so, but he wasn't acting real contrite about it either. Those guys are definitely out there.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Jeremie Boop said:

These have to be two of the most ridiculous comments I've ever seen. You two seriously think everyone who ever hit into another group did it on purpose? You think Ryan actually had any inkling that he would hit a 3 wood off the deck 300 yards or a 5 iron 250? Distances that even most pros don't attain? You both need to get a grip, perhaps you've had a lot of bad experiences with being hit into, but it is not even close to being true that every time it happens it's on purpose.

Well I never said everyone, nor did I imply everyone as can be seen by the use of the word kind of. And if would would have read the whole thread you would have agreed that I agreed with the actions of the OP. But I have been golfing for a year now and in my time I have had 2 near misses where the thunk or impact of the ball was 2 to 4 feet behind me. And once got hit in the head and yes everyone didn't say anything at all but each did have that stupid look on their face I mentioned.

And I am sure that someone with 4200 post I am sure has seen much worse comments. I promise as soon as someone almost hits me with a golf ball and acts in a manner such as the original poster I will edit my comments and acknowledge that you were indeed correct.

But just for your info I do have a grip it is a strong grip and it works for my swing really well. :-D:-D:-D just a joke. 

Edited by Das_onionknight
Correction

20 hours ago, Das_onionknight said:

But just for your info I do have a grip it is a strong grip and it works for my swing really well. :-D:-D:-D just a joke. 

:-D

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

I always wait until those ahead are out of roll range but there are the bi-annual weird shots. Couple years ago I was playing on New Years Day. It had been unseasonably warm, it was around 50 that day and had been since before Xmas so courses were soft for winter.

But still it was winter and the turf nothing more than fuzz with a few bare spots. I was 286 out on a par 5 and hit a 4 iron. Wasn't worried about being cautious or anything it's simply not a hole where going for it makes sense because inside of 50 or so it's a weird pitch from a swale and the pin is usually up and it's easy to leave it short and have it roll back at you or whale it over and have a silly downhill put that won't hold a line. Anyway I whacked and good and it bounced and bounced and bounced like it was on a cart path and rolled on the to the green. We were so far back the people were shocked it was there, it's a 570 yard hole. They were bowing when I told them it was a 4 iron. Crazing thing was it probably only carried 200ish.

Dave :-)

On 7/7/2016 at 7:56 AM, Slice of Life said:

Ever had it happen? I've had it happen twice...both on freak shots. First time was a couple years ago on a par 5...I was 300+ yards out and went to lay up with my 3 wood and ended up on the green. Immediately drove up and apologized to the guys...they were cool, we shook hands and all was well. 

2nd time was last night...went to lay up with a 5 iron and it got enough bounce and roll to hit the green. Again, immediately drove up to apologize and the guy was outraged walking towards me club in hand. I explained that I was laying up and the ball kicked and rolled all the way up there...dude was still wide eyed and pissy while his playing partner was calming him down. Both times I expected the ball to be a good 40 yards short...even if I hit a really good shot

I mean, I can understand being upset if it hits up by you on the fly...but are you really outraged if a ball rolls 40 yards and ends up 25 ft away from you? Are you in danger? Maybe I should just wait until people leave, but I don't want to be the guy who says "Nah I'll wait" when they're 300 yards away and then hits it 150 yards :whistle:

What's the etiquette here? Am I wrong? Should I just wait until it's clear if there's a 1 in 10,000 chance that the ball may get a miracle kick and roll up by them? 

I drove a green on a Par 4 thanks to a lucky bounce from the nearby hill. The  Japanese foursome gave me a standing ovation as I sincerely apologized. My chances of recreating that shot are like 1 in 1,000,000.

Do those who hit into people like it when THEY are standing over a par or birdie putt and have a ball roll onto the green, have one fly past your head, or land next to you? I seriously doubt it. When I get hit into the standard BS answer is that's the farthest I ever hit the ball! If a ball is hit into me I just hit back, simple remedy. 

Edited by parman

When I get hit into, I act like everything is ok... real cordial and polite on the green. Then I wait around the corner and blindside those m#@$%@$ers with my cart. Because nobody... NOBODY hits into me and gets away with it! Once you've let that first punk do it, word will get around the clubhouse. Pretty soon, you'll have everyone hitting into you... the other guys, kids, even the seniors. You gotta make an example of 'em.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Jon

29 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

When I get hit into, I act like everything is ok... real cordial and polite on the green. Then I wait around the corner and blindside those m#@$%@$ers with my cart. Because nobody... NOBODY hits into me and gets away with it! Once you've let that first punk do it, word will get around the clubhouse. Pretty soon, you'll have everyone hitting into you... the other guys, kids, even the seniors. You gotta make an example of 'em.

I don't know if this is serious or not, but that's hilarious :-D. I hope to be in front of you and never behind you if this ever happens. 

23 minutes ago, Das_onionknight said:

I don't know if this is serious or not, but that's hilarious :-D. I hope to be in front of you and never behind you if this ever happens. 

Lol. Which part did you think might be serious?

(Just so there's no doubt, I very passive and couldn't fight my way out of a wet paper bag.)

Edited by JonMA1

Jon

41 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

Lol. Which part did you think might be serious?

(Just so there's no doubt, I very passive and couldn't fight my way out of a wet paper bag.)

So, the "cordial and polite" part was serious?  ;-)

- John

8 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

So, the "cordial and polite" part was serious? 

Perhaps. Although an approach shot to the noggin might change that "polite" crap.

Jon

1 hour ago, JonMA1 said:

Perhaps. Although an approach shot to the noggin might change that "polite" crap.

You could always claim temporary insanity from damage to the brain from the impact.

Kevin

On 7/8/2016 at 3:38 PM, Slice of Life said:

You can "buy" or "not buy" whatever you want. I would never and have never hit when I thought I would be hitting into or even near someone. So you can reserve the dick comment for yourself, as your incorrect assumptions aren't necessary here. 

Thousands of rounds of golf...has happened twice. I'm sure it's because I routinely hit into people to show off or be a dick...c'mon now.

My Grandpa told me something when I was quite a young scamp. "Be careful around people who think that everyone is lieing to them. That just means they're liers themselves!" It was kind of a homespun way of describing the psychological concept of Projection.

4 hours ago, parman said:

Do those who hit into people like it when THEY are standing over a par or birdie putt and have a ball roll onto the green, have one fly past your head, or land next to you? I seriously doubt it. When I get hit into the standard BS answer is that's the farthest I ever hit the ball! If a ball is hit into me I just hit back, simple remedy. 

I've had several instances where a ball lands close enough to hear, and even rolls up close. As a matter of fact, just Thursday during league a ball rolled up right behind me as I walked to the green. The guy almost drove the green *short par 4 for him, as he was playing from the senior tees*. I didn't even give it a thought other than it was a nice drive and he was probably going to birdie the hole. I don't typically have any problem with near misses the first time, but if it happens multiple times during a round by the same person then I get upset. Of all the instances of a ball being hit near me only twice has it happened more than once. I don't understand getting upset over something that is almost always an accident or a flukey super long shot. There's a reason why the typical response is "I never hit it that far" because a vast majority of the time it's the truth. As for your "simple remedy" it is childish and petty. Almost as bad as someone else who said in another similar thread that they pick up the ball and keep it.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Yes, the "I didn't expect to hit it that far!" is a BS answer.  I know it's BS because I've been in groups multiple times where a playing partner has been driving the ball 250 yards (or whatever) ALL day long and eventually they get antsy and hit when the group ahead is maybe 260 yards out.  The next hole they roll up and feed them that line and I just shake my head.

I'm sure there is the odd freak case where you land a drive on a sprinkler head or something and the ball rockets another 50 yards down the fairway but the number of times that happens compared to the number of times a player was just being careless or dickish is laughably huge imo.

Anyway, I personally try not to hit if I think the people ahead of me will hear the ball land.

19 minutes ago, Strandly said:

Anyway, I personally try not to hit if I think the people ahead of me will hear the ball land.

That seems reasonable. What would you say that is, about 30 or 40 yards on a closely mown area?

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

On 7/7/2016 at 8:07 AM, rehmwa said:

sometimes, I'll send the cart girl up and buy them a round if they are cool about it. 

Outraged ***holes don't get anything after the original apology as I did my part - temper tantrums are for 6 year olds

AGREED.

If you show this much good sportsmanship, only the real jerks won't get over it.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

1 hour ago, natureboy said:

That seems reasonable, but what is that like 40 yards on a closely mown area?

Not sure, probably more than that.  Around 100 yards maybe.

Edited by Strandly

Note: This thread is 2288 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!