IGNORED

Ball in cracked dry ground?

cnl390
Note: This thread is 2786 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In today's round my ball came to rest in a large cracked in the very dry ground.  The ball was approximately one third of the way down in the crack.  I played the ball as it lay, which resulted in a bad shot.  My partner said he believed I could have taken relief.  My research says no.

Ping G30 SF TEC
Ping G25 3w
Ping G Red Dot +1/4" irons - 6,7,8,9,W,U,SW, LW
Ping G30 3H
Ping G25 4H
Ping Scottdale TR B60
Callaway Supersoft

Presuming stroke play, the Rules have thought of that. Rule 3-3 provides the opportunity to play a second ball and then ask the Committee if they'll allow relief.

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

Presuming match play. The Rules have thought of your predicament. Rule 2-5 says that you proceed as you see fit and it's up to your opponent to make a timely claim.

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

35 minutes ago, Asheville said:

Presuming match play. The Rules have thought of your predicament. Rule 2-5 says that you proceed as you see fit and it's up to your opponent to make a timely claim.

39 minutes ago, Asheville said:

Presuming stroke play, the Rules have thought of that. Rule 3-3 provides the opportunity to play a second ball and then ask the Committee if they'll allow relief.

That's great for tournaments but not really realistic or helpful for average guys playing a round of golf.  

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There are a number of extra-legal solutions available to an imaginative sportsman.  One could remove the ball, a small distance, in anticipation of the arrival of a groundsperson, doubtless hastening to the very locality for the purpose of declaring the offending fissure GUR.  Or...the micro-chasm might be seen as the nascent yawning of a much grander gap...and thus geographically sensitive.  Alternatively...who can say that some hitherto unknown and possibly endangered creature is not thinking of popping up and having a look around...using this odd and recently arrived orb as cover?  Perhaps it is the golfer who is endangered.  Could not the crevice conceal a creature of more sinister reputation?  Anyway...YGTD.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

9 hours ago, cnl390 said:

In today's round my ball came to rest in a large cracked in the very dry ground.  The ball was approximately one third of the way down in the crack.  I played the ball as it lay, which resulted in a bad shot.  My partner said he believed I could have taken relief.  My research says no.

The Decision is 25/12

25/12

Cracks in Earth

Q.Are cracks in the earth which occur in hot and dry conditions ground under repair? Do the Rules of Golf provide relief?

A.No. However, a player whose ball is in a large crack would be justified in requesting the Committee to declare the crack to be ground under repair, and the Committee would be justified in doing so.

2 minutes ago, Martyn W said:

The Decision is 25/12

25/12

Cracks in Earth

Q.Are cracks in the earth which occur in hot and dry conditions ground under repair? Do the Rules of Golf provide relief?

A.No. However, a player whose ball is in a large crack would be justified in requesting the Committee to declare the crack to be ground under repair, and the Committee would be justified in doing so.

The average guy isn't expected to be familiar with Decisions. I suggest to my club's players that they take a photo, play two balls, and when the round is over to check with the professional.

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

This is why I always carry a small can of white spray paint.  DIY GUR. (j/k!)

(Assuming that the area is through the green) I think it is unfortunate that the course didn't declare the cracked earth area as GUR.

I think that the ball played as it lied/layed/laid/laying(?) was the correct call

Edited by vardon_grip

• 1 month later...

I agree with the posters that 25/12 is appropriate but I wanted to add that this condition, had the committee done a proper job of marking the course, should have been circled it with a white line defining it as GUR. A savvy player would have claimed the area as GUR and used rule 3-3 and played two balls.

Now if you were at Augusta National, it's unlikely this condition wouldn't have existed. If you were at the local TPC, it's likely it would have been white circled. But most of us play at the local muni or a semi-private course struggling to survive where it's likely nothing is marked or if there are marked areas there are others that were missed. I would encourage you to approach your committee and lobby for a local rule adjustment if your course is the latter type. I've seen some local rules defining "Any abnormal playing condition, marked or unmarked......."

1 hour ago, HonestyPolicy said:

I agree with the posters that 25/12 is appropriate but I wanted to add that this condition, had the committee done a proper job of marking the course, should have been circled it with a white line defining it as GUR. A savvy player would have claimed the area as GUR and used rule 3-3 and played two balls.

Now if you were at Augusta National, it's unlikely this condition wouldn't have existed. If you were at the local TPC, it's likely it would have been white circled. But most of us play at the local muni or a semi-private course struggling to survive where it's likely nothing is marked or if there are marked areas there are others that were missed. I would encourage you to approach your committee and lobby for a local rule adjustment if your course is the latter type. I've seen some local rules defining "Any abnormal playing condition, marked or unmarked......."

I have to think that such a vague statement would not be acceptable.  Who decides what is "abnormal"?  Abnormal for Augusta National might be quite normal for my home course.  If it isn't marked or otherwise clearly defined, then play the ball as it lies.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

As has been stated, local rule or committee...............but if neither exist, muni course that really does not give a damn, then it's up to your playing partners. There's no reason that one should be either penalized for a shot that could be playable under normal conditions or taking the chance on getting injured by attempting to hit a stupid shot. If you insist on playing by the rules to the letter, then it's an unplayable lie and you drop. It's highly doubtful that one would encounter such a lie in an organized event, but if they did, refer to local rule/committee.    

Edited by disco111

Hate crowned cups.

43 minutes ago, disco111 said:

As has been stated, local rule or committee...............but if neither exist, muni course that really does not give a damn, then it's up to your playing partners. There's no reason that one should be either penalized for a shot that could be playable under normal conditions or taking the chance on getting injured by attempting to hit a stupid shot. If you insist on playing by the rules to the letter, then it's an unplayable lie and you drop. It's highly doubtful that one would encounter such a lie in an organized event, but if they did, refer to local rule/committee.    

I agree.  I originally posted the question because a) I have a new set of Ping G's b) most importantly,  I just started playing again after rotator cuff surgery.  And I don't want to ruin my clubs or my shoulder.

Ping G30 SF TEC
Ping G25 3w
Ping G Red Dot +1/4" irons - 6,7,8,9,W,U,SW, LW
Ping G30 3H
Ping G25 4H
Ping Scottdale TR B60
Callaway Supersoft

The USGA is on record as agreeing that in a case where there is no committee, as there almost always is not in the case of a private match, the group can act as its own committee.  Were I in this group and NOT the player involved I would have suggested that as a group, acting as the Committee, we declare that GUR.  Assuming, of course, that there is no committee.  As there almost always is not, in the case of a course that would allow that condition to exist, unmarked. 

• Upvote 2

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2016 at 10:01 PM, newtogolf said:

That's great for tournaments but not really realistic or helpful for average guys playing a round of golf.  

For average guys playing a round of golf for fun, do whatever you agree is fair (1-4). Under Rule 25 and the definition of "abnormal ground condition", cracked dirt does not qualify, so by strict rules you should either play it as it lies or take relief under one of the options of Rule 28 with a one-stroke penalty. However, I've seen players do far worse than stretch the definition of "abnormal ground condition" in furtherance of an enjoyable casual round of golf. If the ground presents a hazard to yourself as a player or to your equipment, I'd think nothing of granting you a drop on the nearest patch of smooth dirt or grass. If you're not swearing to the accuracy of the scorecard in front of the USGA or their sanctioned Committee, you can do whatever you can live with, as long as you leave the course in a playable condition for others.

Edited by Liko81

Note: This thread is 2786 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!